Which snorkel tour? Please help me narrow the options.

mageus

April 2017 RCI cruise. Family of 4 looking for a snorkel tour. These are the options I've found:

- Cozumel H2O

4 reef tour, $65/person

newer company, but good reviews

- Eagle Ray

2 reef tour, $60 adults / $30 kids

3 reef tour, $65/$45, includes lunch

has the most reviews in CruiseCritic, all good

- Mystic Snorkel

3 reef tour, $65/$35

The couple of reviews are very good

- RCI sponsored cruise

3 reef tour, $54/$49

don't know which company they use

Has anyone tried multiple companies? CozumelH2O sounds the best bang/buck with 4 reefs. Eagle Ray has the best reviews. The RCI tour is an unknown but is cheap and has guaranteed transportation.

Any recommendations?

I would skip the ship sponsored tour - usually over crowded and less personal service.

You probably cannot go too far wrong with any of the other three - we used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago and were happy. More recently we have skipped the tours and snorkeled from the shore at the Money Bar. Good luck! :)

I agree with John...skip the ship sponsored snorkel tours. Eagle Ray Divers is a good outfit. They've been around a long time and know where to go.

Do realize that these snorkel tours are all off shore and conditions may or may not be ideal for snorkeling. If you want to snorkel bu t stay closer to shore, then Money Bar, Sky Reef or Corona Beach would be your best bet. All 3 are PAY AS U GO. So you could save some $ if you're reluctant to head out to the channel. But depending on how much you eat or drink and the total # of people in your taxi. It could be close to break even $ wise.

Thanx for the replies.

Kids (8 & 10) are great swimmers and can snorkel independently, especially with vests on. We were disappointed with shore snorkeling in the Bahamas (unlike, say, Hanauma Bay). The Boss and I did Molokini before, and figure the kids can handle it. We're not into AYCE or alcohol.

We'll stick to the shore/beach at Roatan.

I'll probably choose Eagle, unless someone convinces me H2O is better.

We've used the team at Nachi Cocum twice. Going with Snorkel H2O in a couple of weeks. Cozumel has some of the best snorkeling and you want to go out to the reefs. I chose H2O because of where they go, further out and different places than the others. In Roatan we will be able to swim to the reef from Tabyana Beach. Snorkeling is not good from the beach by port.

We just used H2O last week when on Reflection and I would not hesitate taking them again or in recommending them. We are experienced snorkellers and have our own equipment. Very professional, very friendly and competent crew. I've done a review on Trip Advisor (same user name) - not sure if it's up yet.

The big difference to note:

the ship sponsored excursion will pick you up at your ship.

the other excursions must meet you outside the cruise port, and you may have to take a taxi to their meeting spot. Keep that in mind when comparing cost.

The big difference to note:

the ship sponsored excursion will pick you up at your ship.

the other excursions must meet you outside the cruise port, and you may have to take a taxi to their meeting spot. Keep that in mind when comparing cost.

I'm sure Carnival would not appreciate your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I would skip the ship sponsored tour - usually over crowded and less personal service.

You probably cannot go too far wrong with any of the other three - we used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago and were happy. More recently we have skipped the tours and snorkeled from the shore at the Money Bar. Good luck! :)

Ship sponsored are ALWAYS more than 30 people, usually 40. Many people not knowing what to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by lmgnpb

• 1 month later...
We've used the team at Nachi Cocum twice. Going with Snorkel H2O in a couple of weeks. Cozumel has some of the best snorkeling and you want to go out to the reefs. I chose H2O because of where they go, further out and different places than the others. In Roatan we will be able to swim to the reef from Tabyana Beach. Snorkeling is not good from the beach by port.

How was H2O? How far from the pier was it and was timing ok without feeling rushed to get back to the ship? I am looking into them for our June 4th cruise.

Thanks, Shelly

How was H2O? How far from the pier was it and was timing ok without feeling rushed to get back to the ship? I am looking into them for our June 4th cruise.

Thanks, Shelly

Hey Shelly, we took he H2O snorkel trip in late Feb when on the Celebrity Reflection. Because of the time of our arrival in port we couldn't take the morning trip so had to take the 1:30 one. When you contact the company tell them about your time limitations - they were super easy to deal with via emails and responded in a timely manner. Taxi from the port was not long - my memory fails me a bit here but I think it was like a 5 minute taxi ride. Not only will they ensure you get back on time to catch your ship, they will also call a taxi for you so it is waiting when you get back. We were also initially concerned with timing but needn't have been. When you think about it, companies like this rely heavily on cruise ship clients so if they get a reputation of being unable to get people back to their ships on time they would not be in business very long. That was our experience.

The crew and guides were awesome. We've been on many snorkel trips in a number of different countries and this one was right up there with the best, if not our best experience. I would not hesitate using them again or in recommending them to others.

OP here.

We went with Eagle Ray. Booked over the phone, and had further email communication with them. Payment is through PayPal; easy peasy.

We were the only family, so 4 people got personal attention. Our guide was very friendly. Not "I want you to give me a good tip" friendly, but genuinely friendly. We chatted about all sorts of things on the way out. The weather wasn't the best, but the snorkeling was awesome. Our guide would free dive and point out things. Unfortunately, my daughter immediately got seasick on the ride out, could only snorkel at the first site, then was stuck on the boat. We only went to one more stop for my son's benefit, then my daughter was too ill to do any more boating.

Aside from that, it worked out great. Taxi to Caleta was $11. Afterwards they dropped us off at Senor Frogs, and paid for lunch. My wife got to snorkel some more in front of the restaurant. Taxi's were waiting out back, again $11.

I highly recommend Eagle Ray. They are friendly and easy to deal with. Price is decent. Great experience overall.

Hey Shelly, we took he H2O snorkel trip in late Feb when on the Celebrity Reflection. Because of the time of our arrival in port we couldn't take the morning trip so had to take the 1:30 one. When you contact the company tell them about your time limitations - they were super easy to deal with via emails and responded in a timely manner. Taxi from the port was not long - my memory fails me a bit here but I think it was like a 5 minute taxi ride. Not only will they ensure you get back on time to catch your ship, they will also call a taxi for you so it is waiting when you get back. We were also initially concerned with timing but needn't have been. When you think about it, companies like this rely heavily on cruise ship clients so if they get a reputation of being unable to get people back to their ships on time they would not be in business very long. That was our experience.

The crew and guides were awesome. We've been on many snorkel trips in a number of different countries and this one was right up there with the best, if not our best experience. I would not hesitate using them again or in recommending them to others.

Thanks for the help!!

We are booked for June. Great communication thus far...Looking forward to the trip.