Price Drop - JS Guarantee - 2 rooms -What to do?

jahannah

Booked one room, a Category W, Junior Suite Guarantee for 4 passengers, for an April Western Carib. cruise on Allure. Prices went down $400 today on Junior Suites. Now, I can get two hump, adjoining JS on a preferred deck (deck 8) for ~$550 more than my guarantee.

My questions are:

1. Will my insurance, purchased within the pre-existing condition waiver period on the other booking, transfer to a new booking on the same boat?

2. Is the extra $550 and the loss of a chance at a true suite from the guarantee worth it to stick my teen kids in an adjoining JS and have a room and bathroom for DW and I alone?

3. Am I forgetting anything else that might be messed up (or any advantages/disadvantages) if I try to change the booking?

I have booked a courtesy hold for my preferred cabins, so I have 24 hours to make the change if so decided. My assumption is that I cannot simply call and get the price drop, since a JS category is not the same as the W category. The price drop would be about $240. Anybody have thoughts or try this before?

Having just sailed on the Allure 11/17/2013, to me it would be worth it to have my own JS, as we loved ours and felt really relaxed with all the space. in my opinion it is not worth it to pass on getting two JS with the hope of getting an upgrade to a higher suite. We love privacy, and your kids will love you for their own room and you will be happier and much more comfortable for the week.

Booked one room, a Category W, Junior Suite Guarantee for 4 passengers, for an April Western Carib. cruise on Allure. Prices went down $400 today on Junior Suites. Now, I can get two hump, adjoining JS on a preferred deck (deck 8) for ~$550 more than my guarantee.

My questions are:

1. Will my insurance, purchased within the pre-existing condition waiver period on the other booking, transfer to a new booking on the same boat?

2. Is the extra $550 and the loss of a chance at a true suite from the guarantee worth it to stick my teen kids in an adjoining JS and have a room and bathroom for DW and I alone?

3. Am I forgetting anything else that might be messed up (or any advantages/disadvantages) if I try to change the booking?

I have booked a courtesy hold for my preferred cabins, so I have 24 hours to make the change if so decided. My assumption is that I cannot simply call and get the price drop, since a JS category is not the same as the W category. The price drop would be about $240. Anybody have thoughts or try this before?

You need to call your ins company to get thsi answered. Also total waste of money to put 2 kids in a Jr Suite. Find a Jr Suite with a reg balcony next door or an inside/promenade across the hall.

I would definitely book two cabins and give up the chance for a upgrade with the guarantee. You can a lot more space, another bathroom, everyone sleeps on real beds (not sofabeds or Pullmans)

But, I would put the teens in a less expensive cabin either directly next door, or directly across the hall. (You do not have to book one adult in each cabin). We usually book an inside across the hall for our kids, but on Allure it was cheaper to put them in a Central Park Balcony across the hall from our OV balcony (because we could use the Crown and Anchor balcony discount on the CP room)

Edited by DonnaK

I would definitely book two cabins, but not two JS. Put the teens in a less expensive cabin either directly next door, or directly across the hall. (You do not have to book one adult in each cabin). We usually book an inside across the hall for our kids, but on Allure it was cheaper to put them in a Central Park Balcony across the hall from our OV balcony (because we could use the Crown and Anchor balcony discount on the CP room)

Yeah, I get your and SeaUs' point about the kids in a JS, but the whole point of this cruise is a graduation present for the oldest, so it becomes a bit more of an issue of having a "special" room, as opposed to just going on a cruise. Both guys are practically grown mentally and are past full-grown physically and, unfortunately, I have talked up the better, bigger rooms for the cruise.

Yeah, I get your and SeaUs' point about the kids in a JS, but the whole point of this cruise is a graduation present for the oldest, so it becomes a bit more of an issue of having a "special" room, as opposed to just going on a cruise. Both guys are practically grown mentally and are past full-grown physically and, unfortunately, I have talked up the better, bigger rooms for the cruise.

Well, if you are willing and able to pay the extra $550, then go for it! We were just trying to provide less expensive options. Maybe your teens would like the option of having the smaller room, and putting the difference in money towards a special excursion (like ziplining in Labadee) or a specialty restaurant dinner.

My questions are:

Which April sailing? I might book this cruise.

Before you do this be sure to check with your travel insurance. My guess is that your cost for insurance was based on the cost of the cruise and/or all travel arrangements. Since this change would cost more than your original insured amount, probably only that amount would be covered. Or it might negate the whole policy.

Before you do this be sure to check with your travel insurance. My guess is that your cost for insurance was based on the cost of the cruise and/or all travel arrangements. Since this change would cost more than your original insured amount, probably only that amount would be covered. Or it might negate the whole policy.

Thanks. That is what I am worried about. I don't want to be out the travel insurance money and hope that I can just transfer the policy with a small premium increase since it will be the same sailing and people.

Thanks. That is what I am worried about. I don't want to be out the travel insurance money and hope that I can just transfer the policy with a small premium increase since it will be the same sailing and people.

We never have a problem with our insurance company when we upgrade. They just adjust the cost to reflect the new total. I call them frequently when we purchase hotel and airfare and upgrades. Never a problem.

We never have a problem with our insurance company when we upgrade. They just adjust the cost to reflect the new total. I call them frequently when we purchase hotel and airfare and upgrades. Never a problem.

This is good news. I am seriously considering the change.

We booked the W originally and have not changed. The JS is now $120 per person less than the W was originally. Combining the $240 we would save on the 1st and 2nd person with the additional $800 or so for the 3rd and 4th person going to their own room leaves me over $550 or so extra for the change.The JS is more now because we would go from 1 room with a large 3rd and 4th person supplement to 2 rooms.

This is good news. I am seriously considering the change.

We booked the W originally and have not changed. The JS is now $120 per person less than the W was originally. Combining the $240 we would save on the 1st and 2nd person with the additional $800 or so for the 3rd and 4th person going to their own room leaves me over $550 or so extra for the change.The JS is more now because we would go from 1 room with a large 3rd and 4th person supplement to 2 rooms.

You used private insurance not TA or RC. Correct? If so I don't see a problem. Your way before final payment.

You used private insurance not TA or RC. Correct? If so I don't see a problem. Your way before final payment.

Yep. I always use the web site that I am not sure that I am allowed to mention, other than it helps to insure my trip.

My questions are:

Same life boat? or Ship?

If they leave the insurance as is, wouldn't they still be covered for everything except for the $550 extra cost? The policy would still cover medical, travel, and the cruise cost up to the original value of the policy.

If they leave the insurance as is, wouldn't they still be covered for everything except for the $550 extra cost? The policy would still cover medical, travel, and the cruise cost up to the original value of the policy.

That was what I was not sure about. I am an insurance coverage lawyer with lots of experience, but I have never had a claim under a travel insurance policy. Reading the policy, it appears to apply to a specific sailing and specific covered individuals, not necessarily to any given room. The premium is set according to the value of the trip. I did not see anything that required insuring the full value of the trip, so maybe your answer is correct. I will call tomorrow and post back the results.

Not that anyone was waiting with 'bated breath, but I decided not to make the change. I had forgotten that we had received $300 in OBC as part of making the original booking. Losing that plus $550 was just too much. Fingers still crossed for higher than JS on the W guarantee! ;)

Not that anyone was waiting with 'bated breath, but I decided not to make the change. I had forgotten that we had received $300 in OBC as part of making the original booking. Losing that plus $550 was just too much. Fingers still crossed for higher than JS on the W guarantee! ;)

I was waiting. Did the travel Agent tell you that you would lose all the OBC? Thanks for the update!

Edited by Colorado Babe

I was waiting. Did the travel Agent tell you that you would lose all the OBC? Thanks for the update!

Yes, I called C&A and got the scoop. It would be treated as a new booking and the OBC would go away. The lower prices are officially gone as of this morning, unfortunately.

Also total waste of money to put 2 kids in a Jr Suite. Find a Jr Suite with a reg balcony next door or an inside/promenade across the hall.

I feel like I strongly agree with this. The downgrade would give everyone more space (and another bathroom to get ready in) and possibly give you back some money that could be put towards once in a lifetime excursions or dining. Of all the cruises I have been on no cabin has particularly stuck out as being memorable; since it sounds like your kids are young adults they will appreciate the gesture and make stronger memories doing stuff as a family, and will never remember what their room was like.

Just my opinion though.