Airline changed schedule - How does this work?

HawksFan74

DW, DD and I will be flying home to Seattle after our cruise. Carnival's itinerary shows a 9:00 am arrival into Long Beach on November 8. A few weeks ago, I found a great deal on our return flight, Alaska Airlines nonstop LGB to SEA for $80 pp. The flight was scheduled to depart LGB at 11:50 am. The airline has since changed the schedule to 11:10 am.

I'm not really comfortable with this new time, so what I'm wondering is, will Alaska allow me to change flights without paying a change fee? Also, what about the fare difference? The only other LGB-SEA flight isn't until 5:55 pm, so it seems my next best option is a 1:00 pm flight out of LAX, but the current fare for that is $119 pp (remember I only paid $80).

It's only a 40 minute change, so I don't believe you'll be able to change without change fees plus having to pay additional increased fare costs. Usually, for these fees to be waived, the change has to be 90 minutes or more.

In my opinion, I'd keep the 11:10 departure. LGB is only a 15 minute cab ride from the port, PLUS, it's a very small airport and easy to get thru quickly

Anyone know what time we can expect to be off the ship, through customs, and getting in a taxi? We have FTTF, or we could do self assist it would be faster. The minimum check in time with checked luggage is 60 minutes, so I would want to be getting in the cab no later than 9:30 to have a good chance of making the flight.

I've had this happen several times. Just call the airline right away and tell them the time won't work for you. Ask for a later flight. They should change it for no charge, assuming something later is available. Or they would change it to the next day, if that (and an overnight stay) is acceptable to you. No, they won't pay the hotel.

As long as you scurry off the ship, and it's not late arriving, the new time is probably okay, anyway. But if something later is available and would make you more comfortable, personally, I try that.

Edited by srlafleur

I just found my Alaska flight time had changed by 40 minutes. Had no problem whatsoever changing my flight and had no charge. Alaska couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Great airline.

That is my experience with Alaska Air too. The "major" airlines have their 90 minute time difference policies, etc. but airlines like Alaska Air seem to be much more accommodating. I am sure if you told them you planned the departure around your cruise arrival they would work with you.

It's only a 40 minute change, so I don't believe you'll be able to change without change fees plus having to pay additional increased fare costs. Usually, for these fees to be waived, the change has to be 90 minutes or more.

In my opinion, I'd keep the 11:10 departure. LGB is only a 15 minute cab ride from the port, PLUS, it's a very small airport and easy to get thru quickly

I don't agree. It's very likely the airline will change the flight with no additional fees.

Alaska serves all 5 airports in the LA metro area with flights to SEA. If a later LGB-SEA flight is too late or unavailable, suggest a flight from LAX or SNA (do some advance research and have flight numbers handy). They may be willing to change departure airports.

That is my experience with Alaska Air too. The "major" airlines have their 90 minute time difference policies, etc. but airlines like Alaska Air seem to be much more accommodating. I am sure if you told them you planned the departure around your cruise arrival they would work with you.

Agree...Alaska airlines is very accommodating...but so can the "majors". I fly often with Delta too and have never had them charge change fees when they have changed flight times (which they often do) even for minor time differences or connecting times.

Good news! I called Alaska and was able to switch to the 1:00 departure out of LAX. It took a few minutes on hold for the lady to figure out how to change to a different departure airport, but she got it done, and no additional charge. The only downside is that now I'm going to have to book 3 seats on a shuttle to LAX for around $17 pp, whereas before we were just planning to grab a taxi to LGB (which is more like $35 I believe).

Any airline would allow a free change, including the "major" airlines which allow changes for time shifts of 30 minutes or more.

Personnext,

Not every airline will allow a FREE change when the flight time varies by only 30 minutes.

If you have higher tier status in an airline's frequent flyer program generally they will do so but not for the infrequent flyer.

Please recheck your guidelines.

Any airline would allow a free change, including the "major" airlines which allow changes for time shifts of 30 minutes or more.

Depends on the new fare value and the fare base you bought

It can sometimes be cheaper to just not go on one flight and book another

Sent from my iPhone using Forums