Please help choose RCCL med itinerary with kids

europhile2016

I posted this on Ports of Call but I'm hoping for more response here. We are traveling in July 2016 with 3 kids (5, 7 and 9), and are trying to choose the best itinerary for fun/interesting ports. We'll be in Italy for 2.5 weeks before cruising (the last week in Tuscany at an agriturismo), so we should be over jetlag and rested up for an adventure. We're looking at 2 choices, both leaving from Venice on 7/15. The Vision is 8 nights (one sea day), visiting Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Kusudasi, Athens and Katakalon. The Rhapsody is 10 nights (3 sea days), visiting Corfu, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Kotor (Montenegro) and Zadar (Croatia). So, we lose Dubrovnik and Ephesus and gain Kotor and Zadar. Which would you choose based on ports and kid appeal? They all sound great to the grownups!

I've done most of the ports on the Vision itinerary, but without kids. I did really enjoy them all. Is there something particular your kids are interested in? Do they really enjoy history and such or would they prefer just to hit the beach?

Good question. We live at the beach in FL so they actually prefer doing something different. They love outdoor activities (we vacation at the mountains where they love hiking) and cities for all of the activity. They love visiting city attractions like aquariums, zoos, etc., but we don't have any real experience yet with ruins or museums. I think they would enjoy that stuff if we had a good guide to bring it to life. I need suggestions for those, too!

Ephesus is absolutely amazing and very kid friendly - open area to explore. We went with a private guide (which was less expensive than going through the ship) and the company sent someone who was very kid friendly and kept my girls excited the whole time. Not having the benefit of visiting most of the other cities, it's hard for me to say, but personally I would choose the cruise that includes Ephesus since it's such a historical treasure to wander through. I'd even give up the cruise with 3 at sea days - and that's saying a lot!

Venice was also one of my girls' favorites when we visited for a few days after our week in Tuscany last summer. If possible, I'd suggest staying over at least a night if the ship doesn't. We rented an apartment and it was wonderful being on the streets after most of the tourists had returned to their ships.

Best,

Mia

IMHO a Med cruise is about picking ports/activities with some consideration for the kids, but more so for expanding your kids appreciation of culture and history.

When I planned our cruise, honestly it was going to be me and my parents and my wife's most interested and interesting ports. In the end if you ask my kids I doubt they would say it was a waste of their time to have 3 BtB days of crazy busy full days of museums and history versus beach / amusement parks. At the time they were 6, 11, and 13. We've had many more vacations where they got to do that kind of "fun" :D

My youngest loved the Pisa climb, pigeons in Venice, gondola ride, even at Ephesus/Acropolis/Pompeii which were all dreadfully hot they had a blast the list is long....

Edited by chipmaster

Ephesus has a very large water park just one outside of it. It was closed when we went in March but should be busy and open in July. While we love the museum's sometimes the kids just need some play time.

My three year olds enjoyed climbing the terrace houses steps and playing around in the dirt at Ephesus. I second a private tour there since they can taylor the interests to the kids.

You have a lot of time so I would look up the recommendations on tripadvisor's website (look for destinations and guides, they usually have a top three and things to do with kids) and the cruise boards for those ports to see what interests your family.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I would do the second cruise to give yourself and your kids some time to recharge on the sea days. I took my kids on their first med cruise when they where they were 8 and 10. Some of the ports really tired them out and they enjoyed the sea days just to play by the pool and with their on board friends.

Is it going to be a one-time thing or do you plan more vacations in the Med?

If it´s your first time there, I´d take the Vision ots which gives you some mediterrean Highlights with a chance to recharge.

The Rhapsody has more ports that are rarely visited, so if you know the Med pretty well that could be a reason to take the second tour.

The Vision tour is good to get a taste of the places:

Dubrovnik => A walk on the city wall is fun for kids, eat an icecream at the old harbor and enjoy your time

Corfu => Never been there

Santorini => Oia has the famous views with white building and churches and blue roofs

Kusudasi => Your port to visit Ephesus, I second the idea of a private excursion, easy to do here with a private driver, it´s just about 20 min to Ephesus and you can explore at your own pace and make a stop to play whenever needed, maybe afterwards some beachtime which is also nice in Kusadasi

Athens, if you´ve never been there you´ll propably head into Athens to see the acropolis

and Katakalon, either go up to Olympia to visit what is left of the place, or make it a beach day.

Whatever you decide, I´m sure you´ll have a blast.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a similar cruise two years ago with our then 9 year old. We did an itinerary that included Montenegro. While it is a very beautiful place, and quite spectacular to sail into, there isn't a lot to do there (you can walk around the old walled town, which is nice). We made the mistake of taking an open air bus tour (a hop on hop off style, but there really wasn't anywhere to hop on or off!!). Anyway this tour takes you to an area that gets something like 7000 ml of rain a year - so it's pretty much always raining. Did I mention the tour was an open air bus?? A very unfortunate start to our cruise. We were soaked in spite of the thin plastic rain ponchos they provided, and my son's camera was ruined.

What we did to make sure everyone was happy was in most ports you could simply get off and buy a ticket on the ship organized bus to the town centre and we walked around viewing the sites, and then would find a local beach for a swim. This was particularly successful in the Greek Islands where everything is close at hand. Of course in places like Athens you might prefer to take a tour so you can see the major historical sites. Dubrovnik was fantastic, and I highly recommend it. You can tour the walled town, then head toward the water, and find the little walkway to the beach.

My son is now nearly 7. Last May we did splendour from Venice (very similar itinerary) and had a fabulous time. He says his favourites were visiting Olympia and a ship's excision we took on Santorini which was a geological hike up a volcanic island and a chance to swim into some mud baths.

We are on Rhapsody this July as we had such a good time last year! Doing the same Santorini excursion at his request.

• 1 month later...
Ephesus is absolutely amazing and very kid friendly - open area to explore. We went with a private guide (which was less expensive than going through the ship) and the company sent someone who was very kid friendly and kept my girls excited the whole time. Not having the benefit of visiting most of the other cities' date=' it's hard for me to say, but personally I would choose the cruise that includes Ephesus since it's such a historical treasure to wander through. I'd even give up the cruise with 3 at sea days - and that's saying a lot!

Venice was also one of my girls' favorites when we visited for a few days after our week in Tuscany last summer. If possible, I'd suggest staying over at least a night if the ship doesn't. We rented an apartment and it was wonderful being on the streets after most of the tourists had returned to their ships.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I would totally agree Ephesus was a favourite for our 10 year old twins. We had a private guide and she made it so interesting for the kids.

Dubrovnik was also great for the kids. They enjoyed walking the wall.

You will have a good time no matter which cruise you pick. Enjoy!