"LIVE" - Aloha, Radiance of the Seas May 5, 2017 Honolulu to Vancouver

Don't know if you are teasing or not. If not, do you really think a 90,000 ton ship with a guest capacity of 2,500 is small?

Yes they are very small compared to Oasis class that I am comfortable with. I love to cruise but don't like too much motion. I know it's crazy.

Are you referring to Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu where we got malasadas? The address is 933 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816.

167d747ab898f5cd3f9a871b7239831f.jpg

f1b23675bae9dfdf20a34c462c96ff87.jpg

bfae45f30cf02a4a9fca3d19655fa7d2.jpg

Yes that's it, thank you Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill.

Thanks for the great review. My wife and I would like to do the Hawaii Itinerary either from Hawaii to Vancouver in April or Vancouver to Hawaii in September. As a general rule, are the seas calmer in April or September and which time frame would the weather be the best ?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses !

Paul

Bill.

Thanks for the great review. My wife and I would like to do the Hawaii Itinerary either from Hawaii to Vancouver in April or Vancouver to Hawaii in September. As a general rule, are the seas calmer in April or September and which time frame would the weather be the best ?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses !

Paul

We have done both directions twice and the seas are very similar, a little bumpy for several days. However the temperature on the transit was warmer for more days in September. Of course that may have been just luck as the temps in Vancouver on average tend to be the same in May and September. Either way expect a couple of days of cool bumpy weather either at the beginning or the end. :)

Great review Bill, really appreciate it when you do this. I love the malasadas as well and I know they sell them at a couple of places in Seattle, have you tried them and if so how do they compare.

I tried them in Maui last year and they weren't as good as at Leonard's.

Connie

Hi - i saw that you ate one day at Samba Grill? How was your experience there and would you go there again? Thanks for writing-up your trip report and sharing all of your wonderful photos.

I would gladly go again just under different circumstances. We went on the in port day on Kauai so there was really no one there, just another couple at a different table. The service of course was great but it was so quiet I felt like I was in a library due to the lack of people. So we tended to almost whisper when talking.

As for the food, it does not disappoint. There is a buffet at the beginning of the meal with salads, veggies, cheeses, lots of tasty stuff to start out, Just be sure not to fill up on that or your will struggle with the meats later. I greatly enjoyed the various cuts of meat. Marie did not try all of them, I know she skipped the lamb. Also she for most of them she just ate half the portion.

We were full enough not to eat dessert there but took a flan with us to enjoy later. Sorry I am not good at describing meals but it was one of my favorites being the meat eater that I am. :D

Today we had the opportunity to take a tour of the bridge. The tour is just 15 minutes and security checks you out will the metal detection wand.

That makes for a funny story. Our tour was to start soon so security was doing the wand thing to each of us by the elevators on deck 10. Other people were passing and slowing down like they did at car wrecks.

I yelled out " this is what happens when you steal silverware from Windjammer".

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OMG That is funny!!!! I have been reading along (late) and enjoying this entire review and your beautiful pictures! You both seem so fun :) This time though I totally LOL'd and I had to let you know how funny you are! Thanks for sharing :D:')

Lisa N.

Sorry I am not good at describing meals but it was one of my favorites being the meat eater that I am. :D

This was very helpful and I really appreciate your sharing your thoughts. We are sailing on Radiance later this summer and enjoy specialty dining as a change of pace but are also otherwise usually happy in the MDR. We were thinking of Samba as something that isn't as ubiquitous as Chops or Giovanni's, etc. Sounds like it will be a nice change of pace and a good place to celebrate my dad's birthday.

This was very helpful and I really appreciate your sharing your thoughts. We are sailing on Radiance later this summer and enjoy specialty dining as a change of pace but are also otherwise usually happy in the MDR. We were thinking of Samba as something that isn't as ubiquitous as Chops or Giovanni's, etc. Sounds like it will be a nice change of pace and a good place to celebrate my dad's birthday.

I think that is a good choice. There is something there for everyone, and you will most likely enjoy the ambiance, as well. We have eaten there several times, and I have gotten to the point where I choose 3-4 of the meats I like best and tell the server no thanks to the rest.

Pace yourself. :D :D

I think that is a good choice. There is something there for everyone, and you will most likely enjoy the ambiance, as well. We have eaten there several times, and I have gotten to the point where I choose 3-4 of the meats I like best and tell the server no thanks to the rest.

Pace yourself. :D :D

How do you possibly choose only 3 or 4? Oh wait, I don't have to choose so I don't need to worry about that. ;p :D

How do you possibly choose only 3 or 4? Oh wait, I don't have to choose so I don't need to worry about that. ;p :D

I know, they're all tasty. I skip the lamb, like Marie. I also ask for very small slivers of the other choices, until we get to the filet mignon. That's the queen of the show, IMO.

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for your wonderful review! The pictures are fantastic! We are doing four nights on Maui next April before a Honolulu to Vancouver on another line. Your OLL photos sold us on that!

Thanks, have a great time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill and Marie,

Thanks for the great thread. My wife and I are planning to go to Hawaii for my retirement present. We have never been there. We plan to do a cruise (because we love to cruise). Because we have never been there we want to see a lot just in case we never get back. I have a couple of questions for you.

1st--We have been looking at the September and the May cruises. Is there any difference in the weather coming and going from Vancouver at those times of the year?

2nd--We have been looking at the NCL Pride of America and the RCCL Radiance of the Seas. We thought that POA would allow more island time, but RCCL also seems to stop and a lot of the islands. Can you comment on why I would pick one over the other?

3rd--The Radiance is a smaller ship than the other RCCL we have been on. Is there still plenty to do on the five days at sea?

Thanks for your time.

Peter and Martha :)

Manchester, NH

Hi Bill and Marie,

Thanks for the great thread. My wife and I are planning to go to Hawaii for my retirement present. We have never been there. We plan to do a cruise (because we love to cruise). Because we have never been there we want to see a lot just in case we never get back. I have a couple of questions for you.

1st--We have been looking at the September and the May cruises. Is there any difference in the weather coming and going from Vancouver at those times of the year?

We have done both directions twice. Based on those there was more warmer days in September than in May. However we now prefer the May cruise because we can be as active as we want through the islands knowing we have five days at seas on the end of the cruise to relax. Also we like to add days on Oahu and for us we prefer to add days at the beginning of a cruise. At the end we just are ready to go home.

2nd--We have been looking at the NCL Pride of America and the RCCL Radiance of the Seas. We thought that POA would allow more island time, but RCCL also seems to stop and a lot of the islands. Can you comment on why I would pick one over the other?

The length of the Radiance Hawaii cruises vary depending on how much time Royal Caribbean has between the two seasons (Australia/Alaska). This coming September and May 2018 are only 10 days which gives you only 5 days in the islands and no overnights. I would not recommend those. The 11 day is better but the 12 day is of course the best. It is not only comparable to NCL POA with 7 days in the islands I think it is better as the Maui overnight is in Lahaina instead of Kahului and you get those 5 days at seas to relax plus a shorter flight home. Our next one will be the May 2019 as it's the 12 day. :D

3rd--The Radiance is a smaller ship than the other RCCL we have been on. Is there still plenty to do on the five days at sea?

Of course you do not have the activities you would see on an Oasis or Freedom class ship. No zip lines or Flo-riders. But they do have pool activities for a couple days, demonstrations/games in the centrum, trivia in Schooner Bar . We always found plenty to do.

Thanks for your time.

Peter and Martha :)

Manchester, NH

See above :D

• 11 months later...

Hey Bill and Marie, we almost had another cruise together (Explorer Sept 21 Pac Coast) but I hear you won't be joining us. I know the cruises must all blur together for you, but do you by any chance remember who the cruise director on this Hawai'i to Vancouver trip was?