New itinerary for Cuba cruise 11/24 - permit obtained

jabrown40

Received an email from Viking and my TA today, announcing that Viking has received their permit to dock in Cuba, but no longer docking in Havana; instead we will dock in Cienfuegos, and spend three days there instead of two. Also appears that Cuban excursions are now complementary? Also received OBC for not stopping in Cozumel, and Belize. So excited now, much prefer the three days in Cuba instead of ports we have visited in the past. We will have two sea days to enjoy the ship. Love this new itinerary!

Received an email from Viking and my TA today, announcing that Viking has received their permit to dock in Cuba, but no longer docking in Havana; instead we will dock in Cienfuegos, and spend three days there instead of two. Also appears that Cuban excursions are now complementary? Also received OBC for not stopping in Cozumel, and Belize. So excited now, much prefer the three days in Cuba instead of ports we have visited in the past. We will have two sea days to enjoy the ship. Love this new itinerary!

We are on the 11/17 cruise and got the same itinerary change. We too are happy about the extra time in Cuba and the extra sea day. We were in Havana in March so this is an extra bonus for us.

Mary Lou

Not everyone is happy about this. It is a 2 1/2 hour bus trip to Havana, and there are only two excursions listed. Should a cruise line verify its docking before it sells out a cruise!!!

BTW not everyone has been to Belize and might have been looking forward to it. This is our first trip with Viking and consider it a bad start.

I totally understand how others feel, especially those of you looking forward to doing beach/dive/ snorkel excursions. We have been so lucky to be able to frequently cruise in the Caribbean or visit Mexico, so this was truly just a chance to see Cuba for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, this is our first Viking Cruise and so far I am not impressed. Viking and my TA are still unable to change my incoming flight on Thursday (Thanksgiving and the day before the cruise) and now the change in the itinerary. I am just hope that Viking will book enough hotel rooms so that all that want to take the excursion that spends the overnight in Havana will have the opportunity to do so. I really do not feel like taking a 12 hour excursion (according to the description on the web site)just to spend a few hours in Havana when I originally told I would be docked there fro 2 days

I'm happy, and the excursions look wonderful, especially the 1 1/2 day Havana excursion (ride in a 40s/50s car, dinner, show, hotel stay Bay of Pigs visit, etc.) Yes, it's a long ride (and a long cruise from Key West around Cuba to where Cienfuegos is located) but I certainly appreciate the fact that Viking is jumping through hoops to get us to Havana despite the difficulties. For those wanting to see Cozumel and Belize, is it possible you could find a short cruise out of Florida to add before or after the Viking cruise? While I'm not a fan of Celebrity, I DO know they do a whole lot of short and affordable Caribbean cruises in the winter, and they definitely go to Cozumel; probably Belize too. (Personally, I'd choose Belize over Cozumel if I had to choose, unless you're looking for a beach experience.)

Well, this is our first Viking Cruise and so far I am not impressed. Viking and my TA are still unable to change my incoming flight on Thursday (Thanksgiving and the day before the cruise) and now the change in the itinerary. I am just hope that Viking will book enough hotel rooms so that all that want to take the excursion that spends the overnight in Havana will have the opportunity to do so. I really do not feel like taking a 12 hour excursion (according to the description on the web site)just to spend a few hours in Havana when I originally told I would be docked there fro 2 days

At least the overnight excursion is offered on two different days/night, so I'm thinking it will all work out as long as Havana has enough hotel rooms and coaches to work with Viking! As to long bus or train rides to get from a port to a city, I'm not new to that (Berlin, Rome and Seville come to mind), so as long as the city I'm going to seems worth at least 3-4 hours' worth of sightseeing, I'm in! I'll bring a book and headphones/music for the ride to Havana. On the way back, at least we visit Bay of Pigs to break things up a bit.

Still curious if we'll be able to go anywhere on our own, as the president's Cuba tweet in June muddied the waters quite a bit. However, it sounds like we'll be pretty busy in Cuba with the 3 complimentary excursions, so perhaps I won't have any time or energy to explore on my own.

We had 3 cabins on the 12/1 sailing and cancelled them all today. As CC1943 and TCNH expressed, not everyone is happy and in fact many are very disappointed and upset. When calling into Viking today on 3 different occasions to discuss the cancellation options, I experienced 30 minute waits due to the massive amounts of calls. The agents I spoke to were very candid about the number of people calling regarding cancellations and having to deal with one call after another from angry, disgruntled and sometimes not so pleasant vacationers.

The emails and literature Viking has put out has tried to put a positive spin on this to fend off the mass exodus but apparently it is not working so well. I have noticed in looking at the Viking booking site that the 4, what are now called Cultural Cuba (there's that spin again) cruises that were formerly sold out, now have plenty of cabins available with more to come. I cancelled over 8 hours ago as of this writing, and have yet to receive confirmation of my cancellation and my cabins are still listed as sold. I inquired back to confirm they received my email notice to cancel (Viking's process for these cancellations) and the agent said the cancellation backlog may take several days to clear out.

Whatever the business side of this becomes of this for Viking is TBD (I imagine they will be losing money on these undersold, over compensated cruises), but for those of you sticking with them through this unfortunate event, the good news is you will likely have much more room on the ship to enjoy for yourselves.

Edited by decamp303
punctuation

We had 3 cabins on the 12/1 sailing and cancelled them all today. I cancelled over 8 hours ago as of this writing, and have yet to receive confirmation of my cancellation and my cabins are still listed as sold. I inquired back to confirm they received my email notice to cancel (Viking's process for these cancellations) and the agent said the cancellation backlog may take several days to clear out.

Whatever the business side of this becomes of this for Viking is TBD (I imagine they will be losing money on these undersold, over compensated cruises), but for those of you sticking with them through this unfortunate event, the good news is you will likely have much more room on the ship to enjoy for yourselves.

Were you able to cancel without penalty?

No they refused to waive the penalties (which I think is a bad public relations move). Fortunately for us we were at 91 days so we only forfeited $100 p/p ($500 total). Folks on the November sailings are looking at 15% of full fare in cancellation fees.

No they refused to waive the penalties (which I think is a bad public relations move). Fortunately for us we were at 91 days so we only forfeited $100 p/p ($500 total). Folks on the November sailings are looking at 15% of full fare in cancellation fees.

As I indicated on another thread...woman reported on Trip Advisor after a number of calls she was able to cancel with no penalty including refund on insurance. You need to follow up on that...I would never let them keep that kind of money....for what...screwing up your vacation???

I agree. Hope the Havana overnight is wide open for everyone, the 12 hour one day trip sounds like a land tour. ugh.

I agree. Hope the Havana overnight is wide open for everyone, the 12 hour one day trip sounds like a land tour. ugh.

12 hour trip to Havana is focused on Hemingway's farmhouse outside Havana. After a tour of the property, the group goes to Havana for lunch in a local paladar and then does a walking tour of Old Havana. Day and a half Havana trip goes to Old Havana for a walking tour, then lunch, interaction with artists, a ride in a vintage car, a Cuban dinner, a show at the Tropicana, and then night in a hotel. Next morning includes a visit to the Bay of Pigs before arriving back in Cienfuegos.

I'm leaning towards the excursion to the colonial city of Trinidad (quite a popular tourist destination, I've read), and then a couple hours of wandering on my own back in Cienfuegos (assuming there's no problem doing that, given that the president wants to change what Americans can or can't do in Cuba). Then I'd like to do the day and a half Havana tour.

We got back recently from a Viking cruise and the excursion folks did a great job of trying to get everyone on the tours they wanted - included or not included. Of course, an excursion with a hotel, several meals, and a coach ride in a new country and new port might be a little more challenging than arranging those things in (mostly) Norway. Quite honestly, I imagine I could give up the Tropicana show, and be quite happy in just a clean and quiet 4 star hotel if they have too many people who want to take the overnight excursion. But we'll just have to see how it goes. I'm not too worried.

Not everyone is happy about this. It is a 2 1/2 hour bus trip to Havana, and there are only two excursions listed. Should a cruise line verify its docking before it sells out a cruise!!!

BTW not everyone has been to Belize and might have been looking forward to it. This is our first trip with Viking and consider it a bad start.[/quote

We got a full refund including the travel insurance premium. We rebooked their Caribbean cruise instead and they honored the $500 shipboard credit.

We got a full refund including the travel insurance premium. Call them back! We rebooked their Caribbean cruise instead and they honored the $500 shipboard credit.

Concerning the Havana Sojourn overnight excursion - the Viking rep told me that there were enough slots on the two excursions (it is offered twice) for everyone to go if they want. Additionally, the shorter tours will probably be offered multiple times. Those times should be up by next week.

I can understand why people are upset, but we are excited about seeing more of the island. Belize is one of my least favorite ports in the Caribbean; would have preferred Cozumel to Key West, but . . .

I have been impressed with the customer service people I have spoken to over the past week. Granted, I wasn't cancelling, but they were calm, professional and forthright.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow - some of the comments are quite interesting. My cousin is doing the Cuba cruise but it was sold out - maybe I need to go back and look since everyone is cancelling;p. First of al- it is a cruise and if you wanted to see the other places - why would you choose this expensive cruise. Second - the additional tie in Cuba would be a perk IMO. Third - it is a cruise and plans for cruises change all of the time - ports are missed, all kinds of issues develop when you are out of port and I would be thrilled to have known this info so far out. As for the Air - deviation is the magic word if you want more control and for an additional fee you can have even more control. I know it may be difficult if you have not cruised much but IMO none of these re touch of surprise nor are they something I have not experienced. Good for you if you are still going - I think you will have an incredible experience. OTOH- I am now going to take a look because I am sailing Viking Sun from Portugal and when it docks in Miami - it is going to Cuba - this could be a score. Hope it works out okay for everyone and although this is my first Viking Ocean - they have been a class act with the river cruise - including taking care of us when we were already in Europe and Paris was bombed - yup - our final destination. With travel comes the unexpected!

I was in Cuba twice (2001, 2002) shepherding tour groups from the university where I worked (we had approval from the US government). We worked with a tour company out of Canada and flew out of Toronto as there were no US flights back then. On the first trip we stayed in Havana and took day trips around the region. The trip to Hemingway's house was good- couldn't go in the house, so peered in through the windows. Saw lots of cats, descendants of his original brood. On both trips we went to the Tropicana for dinner and the show- what a hoot! Straight out of a Desi Arnez production. Also went to a cigar "factory" and, of course, were approached all the time with offers to buy "very exclusive" cigars. We did go by the Bay of Pigs, but we're not allowed in as it was still housing prisoners. Went to Veradaro, the one major resort. It was not open to Cubans, but marketed to Europeans. We did go to a beach available to Cubans, but few were there. The gunboats patrolling the water just off the beach (watching for people trying to leave the country) were a little unnerving as were the very armed police walking along the beach.

The second trip, we stayed a couple nights in Cienfuegos. As I recall, not much there, but that was pre-tourist access.

If you do go, I hope you have the opportunity to see the countryside, talk with the people, visit the artists and crafts people, go to the military museum (interesting display of all the methods the US was trying to use to kill Castro), and eat in a pallador (home restaurant).

• 3 months later...

I just returned from the 11/17 sailing. I hope they improve the planning of the excursions, because as this was Viking's first time to Cuba the excursions did not go smoothly.

We found out when we got there that the bus ride actually took 4 hours from Cienfuegos to Havana. On the first day it took about 2.5 hours for all passengers to go through immigration, exchange money and load the tour bus. So for the 12 hour Havana tour: 2.5 hours spent waiting, 8 hour round trip bus ride and less than 2 hours to see Havana. We opted out and decided to make the best of the Cienfuegos excursions and Trinidad (took a little less than 2 hours drive each way). We lost 2.5 hours of Trinidad tour due to the lines, so it was rushed. I wish I had fought hard to get my money back without penalty when they announced the itinerary change. I thought the 3 days in Cuba would be a plus and that Havana was only a couple hours away. If you cancelled this cruise you made a wise decision.

Edited by SoFLCruising