Is there any real difference between the Tuamotus and the Marquesas??

canadagal

I see these two itineraries on Rad's website. One offering a trip to the Tuamotus and one to the Marquesas. Is there any real difference between the two? What one would you choose if you had a choice? We are trying to decide between picking one of these longer cruises or just going with the tried and true 7 day PG itinerary we already know and adding on pre or post cruise days.

Thanks!

Pat

The Marquesas are "high islands." Geologically, they are the "newest." The volcano (extinct) that formed the island has yet to attract enough drifting coral to form either a fringing or barrier reef. As a result there is no lagoon, and less water activities in general. They are also the most mountainous and underdeveloped of the islands in FP. The local dance troop put on a show for us at Nuka Hiva that was out of this world when we recently visited on the Mariner. The art here tends more to wood carvings rather shells or pearls.

The Tuamotus are at the other end of the island life cycle. The volcano that formed the island and associated barrier reef has now completely sunk into the lagoon and only the "Low island" of the barrier reef remains. Highest point on most of these islands is likely to be less than 20ft. Great water activities in the lagoon. Tuamotus are where most pearls are grown since there is less pollution (low population) to harm the oysters.

Which would I rather go to? Depends upon who were my traveling companions. Just my wife and I, probably Tuamotus (we're snorkelers). With my parents probably Marquesas, more variety. Also if you've done Bora Bora (middle aged barrier reef island) and Moorea (a bit younger fringing reef island); both with great water activities, you may want something different. The Marquesas are more different (IMHO) from the Societies than the Tuamotus are. All that said, it really depends on what you and your travelling partners like to do.

Greg

Thanks Greg for the great comparison. We are snorkelers too! The Tuamotus sound right up our alley but then the Marquesas with their underdevelopment is enticing as well. Guess we need to research a little more. Choices! Choices!........but that's half the fun of cruising.......the planning stage. Thanks for your input!

Pat

Wow, great info Greg! I'll be on the Mariner later this year, and we'll be stopping in both places. So now I have this additional understanding of some of the places we'll be visiting, and I'll know what to look for. Thanks so much!

LeeAnne

Pat, Kathy Z posted some experiences with excursions in the Tuomotus a year or so ago. She was disappointed in the snorkelling excursions on Rangiroa. I have been to Manihi in the Tuomotus on a pre-cruise, and can concur that the snorkelling is great, but when you're only there on the ship for a day, I think some research would be in order. Hopefully Kathy Z. will pipe up here. Despite loving snorkelling, I would choose the Marquesas if I could get there.

Hi Wendy! I did a search but could find nothing about snorkeling from KathyZ, so yes, hopefully she will post. Interesting that you would pick the Marquesas. We really do need to research this fully in order to pick the right trip. Thanks!

Pat

We had a less than optimal snorkelling experience at Rangiroa. We signed up for the "Drift Snorkel" but the tides did not cooperate while we were there. The channel rip had standing waves about 8 ft or so. So we went to an alternate sight near the underwater park and it was good but not what we were hoping for. I would rate our Nuka Hiva stop over our Rangiroa stop. There are also a variety of things you can do on Nuka Hiva; less on Rangiroa unless the Drift is on. Since we had snorkelled in New Zealand, Bora Bora, and Moorea; didn't mind the dry experience at Nuka Hiva at all. The Island dance group performed on shore for a "free" excursion (a ship the size of Mariner overwhelms the islands resources) and later on board. They were, perhaps the best I've ever seen.

Greg

Hi Pat, if I remember, Kathy's experience was similar to Greg's, badly organized snorkelling excursion, the guide less than helpful or accommodating. (Maybe she talked about it on the "other" board.) The Tuomotus are great, don't get me wrong, I would go back there for a pre- or post-cruise for sure (loved the Manihi Pearl.) But there isn't alot to do there other than snorkel or dive, really. And since the islands are completely flat, there are no beautiful mountain vistas from the ship. Ever since our first PG trip, we have wanted to do the Marquesas--now that the more varied itineraries are there, maybe some day we will make it--I doubt if we will do another 7-day Societies trip on the PG, since we've now done it 4 times. (Poor us, I can hear the violins now!)

Hah! Wendy,you made me giggle. We should all be so unlucky as to have done the PG's 7 day itinerary 4 times already, especially as we both look out the window at snow. So now I know who to come to for shore excursions as I've bet you've tried them all!

Pat

Yep, too bloody cold. I ventured out today to buy new luggage, of all things. Finally replacing our old perfectly-good old fashioned soft-side suitcase with a vertical. The Bay had great prices, I got a really good deal on an ultra-lite. This is for our WAVE cruise on Voyager this June.

Haven't done *all* the excursions on the PG :o , just most I guess. Some I've done twice. Sigh, wish I was there right now!

I found the Marquesas Islands more interesting by far than the Tuamotus. It is all personal preference but I think to see the people and the life style of the Marquesas island people and the wild rugged nature of the place is pretty fascinating. Never forget the children having the day off school and lining the street to welcome us with a concert to their little town. Totally captivating.

Haven't done *all* the excursions on the PG :o , just most I guess. Some I've done twice. Sigh, wish I was there right now!

Okay, asking the expert here: If you had to choose one island to book the jeep/4x4 excursion on, of the ones offered, which one would you pick (keeping in mind having to fit in other activities as well)? Since me and the kids can't do the Waverunners (sob)--you can't be under 15 to ride OR drive-- I wanted to choose a replacement adrenaline fun thing for them to enjoy. And does it seem safe? (I keep picturing the things rolling off cliffs)

Stay warm!

Well, as you say, you have to fit the excursions in around your other activities. I loved the 4x4 on Moorea, but I would have to say that if you do just one, the one on Bora Bora is more interesting, because of the WWII sites, and because of the beautiful views. It's also true that driving around the island is shorter, and a bit more interesting. I believe you can do some kind of 4x4 snorkelling combo as well--I have not done that, so can't vouch for it.

With kids, I would definitely spend one afternoon on the motu at Bora Bora, if you can as well--it's just a nice beach with great water and some interesting (deep water) snorkelling.

But my personal favourite on BB is the shark and ray feeding, I must say, but then I love the water.

Wow, what a reception that must have been Ngaire! I still remember fondly when the kids came on board the PG at Raiatea and performed. They were all so sweet! It was hard to stick around and watch it all as it was so darn hot in that blazing sun but thankfully now they have put up some awnings........better late then never I always say. Wendy, I'm going to check the Bay after work today for the ultra-lite.........my luggage is getting trashed out........thanks for the tip.

Flyerdreamer, only a Mother would envision such a thing, about the cliffs........but it is safe and I agree with Wendy, the Bora Bora 4X4 has better views.

Pat

Again, such great information as I consider which excursions we're going to be doing on our cruise.

I have a question. I'll be doing this cruise with my mother, who never really learned to swim. She does fine wading in shallow water, but does not want to go in water over her head. We would LOVE to do the shark and ray feeding on BB -- is the water shallow, or will she be in water over her head?

LeeAnne

The water's shallow. There's an opportunity to snorkel after the ray feeding is over, and that water is deeper, but the water around the boat is chest deep. She should probably get the flotation vest when she gets her mask, snorkel and fins. And on this excursion, she can just use her water shoes, and not bother with fins.

Great -- thanks! She's been bugging me to find this out, because she really wants to swim with the rays, but didn't want to sign up for it if she was going to have to swim in deep waters. She'll be relieved to hear this. She'll definitely wear the flotation vest. Not me -- I'm a fish, always have been! :D

LeeAnne

Archived