Plane Crashes

Grumpy100

No I'm not scared to fly again at all. I'm currently avoiding my weekend call to my mum though. Last weekend she was already wittering on about it being too unsafe for me to fly to Australia and Hong Kong later this year but managed to calm her down that I wasn't flying MAS but BA and Cathay. (Logic like that sometimes works on her). Now all bets will be off, she'll be stepping up the "please don't go" campaign. She'll even be freaking about me flying down to London this week for work and Bristol the week after.....

I realise this sounds rather intolerant but 30+ years of her irrational fears that would have robbed me of some of the most amazing and memorable experiences had I paid heed to them gets wearing. As others have said you can just as easily be killed at home or crossing the road to work. You just can't let fear dictate your life (or others either).

Edited by AmoMondo

I think I will not fly around the Africa area or Russia vicinity????
Were you actually planning in flying in these areas? If not, why even mention this?
Not to mention that:-
  1. Africa is an entire continent. Avoiding the "Africa area" because of one accident is a bit like saying "There was a crash in San Francisco, so I will avoid flying in the North America area."
  2. Much the same applies to "Russia vicinity". After all Russia is a country that spans ten time zones. And the MH17 accident was over Ukraine, not Russia.

But I suppose these may all just be distant foreign parts that conceptually just merge into one place where be dragons.

Me too!!!

I totally get the statistic thing that it's safe to fly... really I do. But the little portion of my brain where that phobia resides doesn't really care so much about the statistics. However, I LOVE to cruise and travel in general and this usually requires some amount of flying. I just pop an anti-anxiety drug, order a glass of wine the second the beverage cart comes around (totally ignoring the fact that the aforementioned pill shouldn't be combined with alcohol :eek::p) and try to find something to occupy my mind until I can get my feet back on Terra firma :D

Melissa

Ok I laughed when I read this.....I thought I was the only one who does this Melissa!!!! Whatever gets me through the flight...is all right! !!

Edited by rubysmom

No I'm not scared to fly again at all. I'm currently avoiding my weekend call to my mum though. Last weekend she was already wittering on about it being too unsafe for me to fly to Australia and Hong Kong later this year but managed to calm her down that I wasn't flying MAS but BA and Cathay. (Logic like that sometimes works on her). Now all bets will be off, she'll be stepping up the "please don't go" campaign. She'll even be freaking about me flying down to London this week for work and Bristol the week after.....

I realise this sounds rather intolerant but 30+ years of her irrational fears that would have robbed me of some of the most amazing and memorable experiences had I paid heed to them gets wearing. As others have said you can just as easily be killed at home or crossing the road to work. You just can't let fear dictate your life (or others either).

Absolutely agree with you. We love to travel and if you want to go anywhere you'll probably have to fly.

And thanks for giving me another new word for our upcoming trip to Great Britain. "Wittering" :)