Hotel information JFK

san diego sue

We are going to fly to Berlin out of JFK.

However, we are flying in from west coast a day earlier.

Is there a hotel connected to the airport. I thought I remembered

when I took the train from terminal to terminal, there may have been stop for hotel. We fly frequently and could be mixing this up with another city.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help.

I assume that you will be having a significant connection time. Personally, I've found the hotels around JFK to be a dreary lot. I'd rather go into the city, get a hotel there and have a night out on the town including a great meal and a show or club, and then head back to the airport the next afternoon.

If I am routing to TXL from the west coast via New York AND overnighting by choice, I might as well be taking advantage of the city, not just sleeping in an airport hotel in Queens.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion. And as we used to say in the airplane game, "Opinions are like 727s. Everybody has one".

And as for hotels within the airport terminal complex....nope.

We are going to fly to Berlin out of JFK.

However, we are flying in from west coast a day earlier.

Is there a hotel connected to the airport. I thought I remembered

when I took the train from terminal to terminal, there may have been stop for hotel. We fly frequently and could be mixing this up with another city.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help.

No hotels at JFK itself. And none really recommended in the area. ALL of the hotels around JFK have contracts with the City of New York/State of New York welfare depts/CPS to use their hotels as temporary housing. And JFK is close to some VERY large housing projects. Just have a major drug bust/shooting/some other problem on a weekend in one of those housing project and all those hotels will be JAM PACKED with "evacuees".

If you insists on staying in the area, the Radisson or Hilton are probably the best of the bunch. It is where AA houses their flight crews overnight. Don't expect much. Run down, pretty crapped out hotels, not only because of the high turnover nightly with people in and out at all hours of the day and night from flights. But because of the housing contracts for emergency housing, it is just very difficult to maintain these hotels with a lot of people who have never stayed in a hotel in their life thinking it is Disneyland.

I remember one night at the Radisson-kids running up and down the halls all hours of the night. Piles and pile of garbage bags filled with clothes and "stuff" people had grabbed at the last minute when the cops or CPS told them they had to leave their homes. One of the most miserable nights I have ever spent in a hotel (it ranks as #3 and I travel A LOT for business and have stayed in some real dumps) was at the Radisson. The noise, even though security was called over and over by everyone made an amusement park roller coaster seem silent.

I'm with Flyertalker-go into the City. If you don't want to go into Manhattan, at least go over to the hotels by LGA. Transport cost will be about the same as into Manhattan (it is a fixed rate into Manhattan from JFK and $35-40 to LGA). BUT there is a Marriott and a Crown Plaza (now the LaGuardia Plaza) that are directly across the Parkway from LGA. Both very nice hotels although I prefer the Crowne Plaza because of their business center, the rooms on the third floor that have a little patio that DIRECTLY faces the runways of LGA-only rooms in the entire hotel with this patio-it is the roof of the lobby), and their great bar with really decent food at decent prices.

Edited by greatam

I agree that the hotels near JFK are an uninspired lot. We've stayed a couple of times at the Courtyard (Marriott) and found it to be pretty decent compared to others we've inhabited. Assuming your flight leaves in the afternoon/evening, there isn't an available connecting flight the same day?

Thanks for all the really good advice.

I had no idea about those hotels being used for homeless etc.

I am originally from NYC but have been gone from there 45 years.

We are coming back to NY after our cruise so will be spending time there later. Just want a good nights sleep. I have friends in Brooklyn, may just ask to stay with them. Cab fare to their house cheaper than a hotel as they live right off the Belt Parkway and easy ride from airport.

If that doesn't work will try the Radisson (my hotel of choice when we travel).

san diego sue:D