Alaska Pre-cruise with scooter

CRUISEWITHH

Has anyone done a pre-cruise with Princess or ? with a scooter, that starts in Fairbanks and does Denali and/or McKinley National Parks?

Also has anyone taken the Rail transfer from Talkeenta to Whittier?

This cruise/tour also goes to Hubbard Galcier, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

I have been told that we will be assigned the same type of accommodations that we have booked on the ship (Accessible for scooter) but wonder if we will be able to take part in the tour itinerary.

Helen

you might want to post your question to the Alaska forum. There was a recent discussion about the Skagway train excursion and someone who was travelling with a friend/family member with a wheelchair posted a few times with helpful information (and photos). Apparently there is a car on the White Pass train specifically equipped with a lift. Perhaps that person can offer suggestions about the rest of the ports as well.

Here's the link to that discussion. Just look down the thread to find the responses and photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2172187&highlight=wheelchair

Edited by mapleleaves
link

I use a scooter and did a tour that started in Anchorage, took the train from there to McKinley and then to Copper River Lodge on a bus before going on the cruise portion. I found the train portion to be very easy as there was a lift on the train to the seating area as well as an accessible toilet. At Denali we took the Tundra Wilderness Tour which was on school bus type transport. There were only a few stops on this tour for restrooms but was so wonderful and we saw lots of wildlife (my favorite were the ptarmagins). The transfer from Denali to Copper River was on a tour type bus and my scooter went underneath the bus. Our stop for lunch and restrooms required two steps up and the restroom was not truly accessible. All of the lodges we stayed in were in accessible rooms and well designed. The final part of our adventure was the ferry type boat that went from Valdez to Whittier. It was not easily accessible due to the steps into the boat. However I was given appropriate help with the steps so this worked out as well. We were on the Island Princess six years ago so much may have changed (for the better?) since then.

Edited by katisdale

• 2 weeks later...

I have cerebral palsy and can work short to intermediate distances.

We took the Princess Alaskan tour. Flew into Fairbanks and did the train to Whittier. I did not have a chair or scooter until we boarded the Sapphire. I had no major issues.