Royal iQ App

With the ship sailing soon, when will this app be available ? :D

According to royal pr on twitter they said when quantum starts taking her first sailing guests. Take the info for what it's worth, I would keep checking the app stores

I was hoping it was going to be available. Why it's not is beyond me.

I agree put it out now, let people play with it, work the bugs out, and get right before the first revenue sailing... Less frustration

Edited by Brian131489

NCL has offered iConcierge app for a couple of years. It functions as nothing more than a countdown clock until onboard your sailing. My guess is RCI will be similar, offering little opportunity to work out the kinks and play with it early.Once onboard, It then offers the functionality that RCI is describing, including a feature that provides ship texting for a nominal fee and not subject to your provider's charges.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ok the newest update I received from royal caribbean on twitter, is that the app will be released around October 31st. Email will go out to everyone when it's available.

NCL has offered iConcierge app for a couple of years. It functions as nothing more than a countdown clock until onboard your sailing. My guess is RCI will be similar, offering little opportunity to work out the kinks and play with it early.Once onboard, It then offers the functionality that RCI is describing, including a feature that provides ship texting for a nominal fee and not subject to your provider's charges.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed NCL's iConcierge app while on Breakaway. I'm looking forward to the iQ if does even only just the same as the iConcierge.

• 1 month later...
Ok the newest update I received from royal caribbean on twitter, is that the app will be released around October 31st. Email will go out to everyone when it's available.

Very strange to see an App being released only a few days before the cruise starts. Especially as most passengers will be en route, in airports or staying in hotels where wireless access may not be readily available.

Ummm....wireless access will be available on the ship. :D:D:D

For a fee. Wonder if Royal will give everyone free Internet the first day. Disney has an app and when you go in your room the first day there is a paper talking about the Internet that includes a code for a few free minutes of Internet. It's only good if activated the very first day and seems to be done as a work around for needing Internet access to get the app.

For a fee. Wonder if Royal will give everyone free Internet the first day. Disney has an app and when you go in your room the first day there is a paper talking about the Internet that includes a code for a few free minutes of Internet. It's only good if activated the very first day and seems to be done as a work around for needing Internet access to get the app.

I would think that if you need the app, they will have it available on the intranet so it won't cost anything

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I would think that if you need the app, they will have it available on the intranet so it won't cost anything

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Getting an app requires accessing an app store which needs Internet. There may be a way for Royal Caribbean to setup some kind of one off Android app store that operates entirely internally but the device support would be limited. For iOS devices there is no way to get an app without accessing the official Apple App Store. They could allow devices to talk to Apple but that would also allow people to download/update other apps as well which can be bandwidth intensive. Even if they tried to restrict portion of that usage it would be incredibly difficult to allow a single app but not accidentally break any other required communication. I'm not aware of any company that has accomplished that.

Getting an app requires accessing an app store which needs Internet. There may be a way for Royal Caribbean to setup some kind of one off Android app store that operates entirely internally but the device support would be limited. For iOS devices there is no way to get an app without accessing the official Apple App Store. They could allow devices to talk to Apple but that would also allow people to download/update other apps as well which can be bandwidth intensive. Even if they tried to restrict portion of that usage it would be incredibly difficult to allow a single app but not accidentally break any other required communication. I'm not aware of any company that has accomplished that.

Haven't they said the App will be ready by 11/2? In any case, if it releases the day of embarkation, if someone really wants the App, there shouldn't be a problem finding free internet before boarding.

Also, I think some people, like ramchandramesh, are getting confused on what is needed to use the App once on-board. You do NOT have to purchase an internet package for the App to work on your vacation. Wifi does not equal internet. The App WILL FUNCTION without you purchasing an internet package/paying fees on the ship. It will use an internal system once it recognizes you are on the boat.

Edited by hitaway4

As far as Apple is concerned if it is your own app it technically does not need to hit the app store, you can push it out over your own network.

As far as Apple is concerned if it is your own app it technically does not need to hit the app store, you can push it out over your own network.

That method is only designed for testing purposes and limited to 100 devices that are individually allowed access. Even this method though I believe requires Internet access.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/distribute.html

Edited by DEIx15x8

That method is only designed for testing purposes and limited to 100 devices that are individually allowed access. Even this method though I believe requires Internet access.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/distribute.html

I get that as well, but none the less I don't think the app is going to be that large of a file, considering it will use the ships resources for planning what you want to do

• 5 weeks later...

Royal iQ app is now available in the Apple App Store. Description: " Royal iQ is the personal vacation management app that allows you to maximize your Quantum of the Seas experience, once you are onboard the ship and connected to 'royal-wifi.'

Royal iQ makes it easy. Book your Shore Excursions, reserve your evening entertainment, manage your Dynamic Dining reservations, schedule your onboard activities, track your luggage sidewalk to stateroom, manage your personal calendar, call and text others onboard* and so much more."

*for a nominal fee.

If anyone finds out what the "nominal fee" is, please let us know. The images of the app look very nice.