Cash or credit?

You'll certainly "get by" without cash, but with just a card you might be restricting yourselves .

For instance that rules out local buses in most (all?) ports, ditto perhaps the odd little souvenir from a stall, and some places that have a minimum card transaction. And automated ticket machines if your card isn't chip-and-PIN. And even places that are wary of foreign cards.

Do ask before buying - especially if you're pretty quick at downing a beer.

A little of the local shrapnel in each country - mebbe $20 to $30 worth per couple - can make life easier and avoids worry, it's what we do.

And you should definitely get some euros. They're much more widely accepted than USD at tourist outlets incl bars, cafes, stalls etc, even if they give a poor rate against their own currency.

But, assuming you have a card with no foreign transaction fee, yes, visa or mastercard is the way to go. You'll get the wholesale (or marginally higher) exchange rate and no left-over currency or conversion confusion.

Amex and D/C are not widely accepted.

Ask here about no-foreign-fee cards & your countrymen will doubtless throw a few names.

BTW, there's a growing trend for retailers to offer to charge your card in its currency. DECLINE such offers, you'll get a better rate by being billed in local currency and leaving your card issuer to do the conversion.

Just the one card is asking for trouble. If it's declined or lost or damaged or compromised you'll be in big trouble. So take at least one other card, carry it in a different place or leave it in your cabin safe.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Thank you John Bull so much for all of that awesome info. I think I'll get 100 Euros to bring along. Also, awesome advice about the credit cards. Yes, all of mine have no foreign transaction fees. You are so right about having more than one. I'll bring three credit cards, just in case! Thanks again!

Hey Cruisers!

For the Baltic cruises, pretty much everyone accepts visa and master card, right? No need to get different local currencies?

Thanks!

I suggest getting at least a small amount in each local currency for the reasons listed. A small disadvantage possibly of not getting some local currency is how some countries have WCs that require payment. I only saw WCs that take a credit card at the Bergen train station. Plus an unfavorable example of only using Euros was the Stockholm train station: 5 SEK or 1 EUR per person. That is almost twice the amount. If visiting Russia, RUB are required.

Having local currency in your pocket upon arrival is a time saver, if taking tours and arriving by cruise ship. You can order currency of all types from your bank, and I assume credit union. We ate doing a Baltic cruise next month and ordered minimal amounts of currency for Russia, Denmark and Euros for Germany and Estonia. Will I use it all, probably not, but I also won't be slowed down looking for a working ATM (Bankomat) with a long line of fellow cruise passengers trying to get some cash. If I have leftover I can always buy a souvenir, coffee or ice cream before re boarding as ,most of the ports have a selection of vendors set up on the pier. There was a $25 minimum on each currency ordered and it will be at my bank in 3 business days, ordered online., $7.50 total shipping fee for the entire order, exchange rate was ok. Consider it if you are going to tip in local currency.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Used CC in Stockholm even on local transport. Helsinki the machine was not working so needed cash Euro to get on tram. SPB needed Euro or Ruble to use WC tour guide lent me some rubles, Denmark needed Krone for locker in Rosenburg palace, girl selling tickets lent me some. All other places CC were used or Euros.

In Copenhagen I used my credit card for everything, I had no local currency at all. They seem to expect it. I had no currency with me apart from Euros I had left over from a previous holiday. In St Petersburg you can use your card in shops and pay in the local currency, anywhere you need to use cash you can use dollars or euros.

My husband & I will be in Copenhagen 2 1/2 days before our cruise, if I were to bring local currency, am I better to bring DKK or euros. Thank you.

Folk will certainly get by with euros and credit cards on a one-day port of call visit.

But for 2.5 days ???

For small purchases like a beer or a sandwich or a taxi or any outlet that doesn't accept plastic, you will find it cheaper and easier if you have some local shrapnel in your pockets

JMHO as always

JB :)

We plan to use the card mainly but was thinking for small purchases for lunch or drink, to use local currency also on our tours in Raykjavik & Akureyri, again we will be getting lunch. Reykjavik is an overnight stop while Akureyri will be there until 10 PM

At least here in Sweden almost everyone use cards for even very small purchases, amounting to a couple of dollars/euros.

You could possibly have a problem using cards if you want to by a small souvenir or some fruit in a market stall or something like that. But many of those take payment by card too.