Is there a shuttle to Christiansted

joetop2467

In reading some older posts on The St. Croix reviews I read that there is a shuttle outside the port in Frederiksted to Christiansted for $16. Has anyone been there recently who can confirm that this is the case..

I live on St Croix. Yes, there is shuttle service directly from the dock to Christiansted Town. You can also find taxis that will take you anywhere else you'd like to go, just outside the port in Frederiksted Town.

• 3 weeks later...

If you take the shuttle, VERIFY with the driver if he will require you wait for his van to fill before he will leave for the return trip. Sometimes people have waited a very long time, in hot sun, with no where to sit until the driver would go. Maybe that has changed recently but be sure to find out in advance so you know what to expect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody have any up-to-date experience/info about the shuttles? I was also wondering if it would be possible and workable to get the driver to accept a NON roundtrip fare, just in case I needed to take a taxi back instead of waiting a long time to go back?

• 4 weeks later...

Was there last week. Walk or take the shuttle to the beginning of the doc and there is a tent where they will take you and pick you up from Christiansted for $16pp. Very easy and it takes 25 minutes to get to Christiansted and is 17 miles from Fredricksted. Have fun. We did.

• 2 weeks later...

Was also there last week, on a Sunday. Easy to spot the banner for the shuttle. Christiansted was lovely. We ended up renting a car rather than taking the shuttle (so we could go more places), but Christiansted was the highlight. Check out the web cam on the boardwalk, call your friends to watch it, eat lunch on the boardwalk, walk farther down until you see the seaplane landing, admire the beautiful mustard buildings, take the $5 water taxi to Protestant Cay if you want a near by beach. We really liked St. Croix.

Was also there last week, on a Sunday. Easy to spot the banner for the shuttle. Christiansted was lovely. We ended up renting a car rather than taking the shuttle (so we could go more places), but Christiansted was the highlight. Check out the web cam on the boardwalk, call your friends to watch it, eat lunch on the boardwalk, walk farther down until you see the seaplane landing, admire the beautiful mustard buildings, take the $5 water taxi to Protestant Cay if you want a near by beach. We really liked St. Croix.

roothy123 - Can you share what was open on a Sunday - in both Christiansted and Fredericksted? Thank you.

Frederiksted: We got off the ship at 9 and went the short distance to the place where we met the Avis car rental rep. That was a dive/snorkel shop called N2 Dive Shop. It was open, obviously! Next door to it, at least when we came back, was an open restaurant with a few tables outside and some inside. I saw someone using a laptop and asked if they had WiFi. They did, if you paid or spent $10. I really didn't see what else was open, as we left Frederiksted immediately, and when we returned, I only walked around for maybe 6 blocks or so in the twon. It is really a small place, so even with everything open, it may not hold a person's attention for too long. Of course, there WERE plenty of vendor tables set up around the dock, and the big red fort was right there - modest fort, and I don't think the gate was open, but I really don't know. There was a tourist info rep at a table, so he/she could probably provide you with more information on what to do. There were plenty of cabs, and some people offering tours, plus the big banner under a tent announcing the Christiansted shuttle. The old, mustard yellow Customs House is fun to photograph (can't miss it). The beach near where the ship pulls in is not the greatest, but you can walk there from the ship, and also photograph the ship from there.

In Christiansted, we headed to the waterfront to find something to eat. The town is pretty compact (historical area and seafront) so it's easy to find things. We ended up eating at a bustling, slightly Americanized restaurant on the waterfront, but also saw a few other restaurants that I think were open. We didn't walk the whole length of the boardwalk, which isn't really far but isn't tiny either, so I'm not sure what was open. I'm not a shopper, so I didn't really look for shops, but there seemed to be at least a few that were open along the boardwalk and close by. There is a fort (small admission) right there near the top of the boardwalk, and there's the $5 shuttle across the short distance to the Cay and its hotel, beach, restaurant, etc.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/st-croix-usvi/728622 will give you an idea of the historical things there are to do there, although I'm not positive these things are open on Sunday. The fort was, but I didn't go into anything else, so I don't know. I do know that Big Beard was operating his trip to Buck Island, as we saw the catamaran pull up, but I don't know if that trip is doable on a port day.

Webcam on boardwalk is http://www.earthcam.com/usa/virginislands/stcroix/?cam=mmstcroix_hd or something like that. vinow dot com is a good web site for St. Croix and St. Thomas.

Edited by roothy123

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if the shuttle ran on Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

We. Will be there on a Sunday on the Splendor Repo cruise and are planning to take the shuttle. can you tell me what things were open on a Sunday? What are the things we should not miss? Thanks!