Eligibility for Accessible cabin

toras

OP update

I wrote to RCCL Special Needs to get in writing that one does not have to be wheelchair-bound. Then I contacted a supervisor of the agency and got her to look into the case.

She reviewed all the recordings and found that at time of booking I was told there were no more accessible rooms available in my category anyways, and I did not ask for one in another category. So they did the booking as I had asked and there is nothing they can do. Also that she didn't find anything about RCCL agents saying we are not eligible. Maybe I had remembered wrong, it's been a while. But she will make sure all the agents know about the eligibility of these rooms.

Booked a cruise for next year through Expedia and just said "need an accessible room" and it was done. BTW they said there are no more accessibles available anywhere on Anthem the week of Mar 12 2017, probably because it is Spring Break. Had planned to celebrate a Birthday that week.

OP update

I wrote to RCCL Special Needs to get in writing that one does not have to be wheelchair-bound. Then I contacted a supervisor of the agency and got her to look into the case.

She reviewed all the recordings and found that at time of booking I was told there were no more accessible rooms available in my category anyways, and I did not ask for one in another category. So they did the booking as I had asked and there is nothing they can do. Also that she didn't find anything about RCCL agents saying we are not eligible. Maybe I had remembered wrong, it's been a while. But she will make sure all the agents know about the eligibility of these rooms.

Booked a cruise for next year through Expedia and just said "need an accessible room" and it was done. BTW they said there are no more accessibles available anywhere on Anthem the week of Mar 12 2017, probably because it is Spring Break. Had planned to celebrate a Birthday that week.

Thanks for the update .

RE: Anthem March 17,2017 - The reason there's probably no more accessible cabins is more likely do to the fact that people who require an accessible cabin book at least a year in advance rather than it may be spring break time for some schools. It further needs to be noted that being the Anthem is still considered a new highly popular ship those needing an accessible cabin to cruise often book the minute the schedule/itineraries are announced.

Yes, the best time to book a handicap room is either a year or more out our to wait until final cancellation without penalty time. I get a fair amount of rims by waiting until 3 months or less to book since the people that reserved early often release plans.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Honestly, it sounds like the first agent you spoke with was just too lazy to go the extra mile. As someone who used to manage a travel call center, and made sure all of my agents knew how to best serve special needs travelers, this makes me sick. As someone who is now a special needs traveler myself, you can bet I would be escalating the issue, and that agency would be eating any difference that had to be paid.

That said, I'm running a group for people with Fibromyalgia and/or MS on Liberty in April of 2017. We blocked our cabins 18 months in advance, and needed almost every accessible cabin on the ship. (I think we're going to need our own "parking lot" in the MDR, and we're planning a scooter parade. lol)

Called the TA. There is an Inside accessible still available so we went for that. BUT it actually cost more than the Oceanview, probably because when we first booked there was a discount (2nd person 50% off I think). Better for mom and greater peace of mind for us.

BTW I work for a big company in Canada so I know that "handicapped" is politically incorrect and "accessible" is the right word :)

Thanks again to all!

You will not be sorry you changed to that accessible cabin. We've had an accessible cabin on the Grandeur and it is a large cabin and bathroom has the shower with the bench. Glad it worked out for you.