Looking for feedback on Rome Itinerary

lifeasme123

Here is my "plan" and welcome any suggestions. Our group of 9 (extended family) would like to visit Rome (and surrounding areas) before our cruise.

Tues: Arrive into Rome

Wed: Papal Audience and sightsee Vatican

Thurs: Cont sightseeing Vatican (Is 2 days dedicated to Vatican good enough?)

Fri: San Giovanni Rotondo (train and overnight stay) - This will be just mom and me. The rest of the group will remain in Rome.

Sat:

Sun: Coloseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain (not sure if this is doable in one day)

Mon:

Tues: Train to Naples for cruise.

Questions:

1. Mom does not want to stay overnight in San Giovanni. She would prefer to come back later in the day. She said she only wants to see Padre Pio shrine. I realize it will make for a long day, but is it doable to leave early, see the shrine and come back the same day?

2. I left Saturday blank because I do not know where to suggest the group to go without me missing out. :-)

3. How far is Pompeii from the Naples port? I would like to know if we take an early train out, check in our luggage, would we be able to visit Pompeii the same day before the ship leaves? Or should we arrive a day early?

TIA!!

If you want to see Pompei I would go to Naples the night before rather than stress yourself trying to do all of this in one day.

If you do decide to do it in one day, don't waste time going to the cruise port and back, simply leave your luggage at the left luggage office at Napoli Centrale station. You can pick it up on your way back from Pompei.

As for the santuario, you can get a Frecce train to Foggia that gets you there just before 11 AM, from Foggia you need to take a SITA bus or a very expensive taxi ride (it's just under 30 miles). If this is an important side trip for your Mom and she really wants to do it in one day, I would consider paying for a car service to pick you up at the station in Foggia, bring you to the sanctuary, wait for you and bring you back. You could also get a taxi at the station and pay them to wait for you, the beauty of the car service is that you know the price ahead of time.

There is a return Frecce train at 7:22 PM that would get you back to Rome in time for dinner.

There's also a return at 2:22 PM but that would make for a very short visit to the sanctuary as it's just under an hour drive from the Foggia station, so you'd get there around noon and need to leave just over an hour later.

http://www.padrepioesangiovannirotondo.it/piosgr/san-giovanni-rotondo/come-arrivare-a-san-giovanni-rotondo/

Edited by euro cruiser

As for the santuario, you can get a Frecce train to Foggia that gets you there just before 11 AM, from Foggia you need to take a SITA bus or a very expensive taxi ride (it's just under 30 miles). If this is an important side trip for your Mom and she really wants to do it in one day, I would consider paying for a car service to pick you up at the station in Foggia, bring you to the sanctuary, wait for you and bring you back. You could also get a taxi at the station and pay them to wait for you, the beauty of the car service is that you know the price ahead of time.

Thanks for the great info euro cruiser!

There is a return Frecce train at 7:22 PM that would get you back to Rome in time for dinner.

There's also a return at 2:22 PM but that would make for a very short visit to the sanctuary as it's just under an hour drive from the Foggia station, so you'd get there around noon and need to leave just over an hour later.

http://www.padrepioesangiovannirotondo.it/piosgr/san-giovanni-rotondo/come-arrivare-a-san-giovanni-rotondo/

This trip is important to my very Catholic mom. She's been to Rome multiple times before with my siblings or on tours, and never been able to make it out there.

I looked at the timetable. The 722pm train gets back to Rome at 10:20pm. I will talk to mom about this. I can always take her to early dinner then catch the train back.

I need to research to see how long it takes to see the santuario. Maybe we can do it in one hour if I hire a driver.

Edited by jen70

You're right about the return, I was thinking it got back just before 9:30 PM which would be late, but okay for dinner in Rome. The actual time is too late, but you could put together a picnic of sorts in Foggia and enjoy that on the train back.

We are allowed to bring food and drinks on the train?

Sat:

Sun: Coloseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain (not sure if this is doable in one day)

Mon:

Doable unless there are mobility or energy restrictions. And the walk up thru the Forum is interesting.

In April we were at the Trevi and Pantheon midday. Both were so crowded that it was not a pleasant experience. Might want to go to them early or very late.

Here's a web cam site that I found useful.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/fontana-di-trevi.html

Just throwing in an idea, since it looks like you have some time. Aside from just being in Rome and seeing all the beautiful sights, one of the most fun things I have ever done on a trip was to take a cooking class in Rome. It was at a little place in Trastevere - so much fun. The group size was limited, I think there were 10 or 12 of us total, including a couple teenagers who had a ball. It was all very hands on, and really made for a fun way to spend a day. I would do something like that again in a heartbeat! Just something different.

Just throwing in an idea, since it looks like you have some time. Aside from just being in Rome and seeing all the beautiful sights, one of the most fun things I have ever done on a trip was to take a cooking class in Rome. It was at a little place in Trastevere - so much fun. The group size was limited, I think there were 10 or 12 of us total, including a couple teenagers who had a ball. It was all very hands on, and really made for a fun way to spend a day. I would do something like that again in a heartbeat! Just something different.

Awesome idea!!!! Thanks!

Coincidentally, friends told us they did a mozzarella making class in Naples. I am sooo looking forward to the food!

Awesome idea!!!! Thanks!

Coincidentally, friends told us they did a mozzarella making class in Naples. I am sooo looking forward to the food!

This is the company I did for my cooking class. Chef Andrea and his wife were terrific! http://www.cookingclassesinrome.com

If you are interested in the food, we also did an amazing foodie tour on that same trip. It was one of the best we've ever done. We used Food Tours of Rome and did their four hour evening walking/food tour. Really good!

Hi - I just got home from Rome yesterday - my sister and I spent a few days there post cruise. Everything you want to do is totally doable. The Vatican is, of course, incredible. Two days might be a lot if you bring kids both days. There are a ton of people and its a lot of history and walking and a lot to take in. Please consider booking a tour - without one, the wait to get in will be at least 3 hours. We used City Wonders and it was fantastic. Two other things that might be of interest, since I read your mother is fairly religious - at the souvenir shop in St. Peters you can buy rosary beads blessed by the Pope. Just ask the nuns behind the counter. I bought them for my mother in law for about 8 euros and then sprinkled Holy Water on them from inside St. Peters (I'm Jewish so I was using the belt and suspenders approach- :)). Also - one of my friends went to a Papal audience last Fall. She said she stood near someone holding a baby. The Pope apparently walks over to babies, so if you stand near one, you may be able to snap a close-up picture of the Pope. My friend actually got a selfie with Him.

One change you might want to consider in terms of your itinerary is to change visiting the Coliseum to a night tour. I used City Wonders for that too and it was unbelievable. The Coliseum is one of the most visited places in the world and during the day, the number of people there is crazy. The night time tour has very few people, the weather is much cooler and you see the underground area and stand on the arena stage. You also get a tour of the Roman Forum and other sites in the area as well. Kids will love it too.

This is the company I did for my cooking class. Chef Andrea and his wife were terrific! http://www.cookingclassesinrome.com

If you are interested in the food, we also did an amazing foodie tour on that same trip. It was one of the best we've ever done. We used Food Tours of Rome and did their four hour evening walking/food tour. Really good!

Thank you!

Hi - I just got home from Rome yesterday - my sister and I spent a few days there post cruise. Everything you want to do is totally doable. The Vatican is, of course, incredible. Two days might be a lot if you bring kids both days. There are a ton of people and its a lot of history and walking and a lot to take in. Please consider booking a tour - without one, the wait to get in will be at least 3 hours. We used City Wonders and it was fantastic. Two other things that might be of interest, since I read your mother is fairly religious - at the souvenir shop in St. Peters you can buy rosary beads blessed by the Pope. Just ask the nuns behind the counter. I bought them for my mother in law for about 8 euros and then sprinkled Holy Water on them from inside St. Peters (I'm Jewish so I was using the belt and suspenders approach- :)). Also - one of my friends went to a Papal audience last Fall. She said she stood near someone holding a baby. The Pope apparently walks over to babies, so if you stand near one, you may be able to snap a close-up picture of the Pope. My friend actually got a selfie with Him.

One change you might want to consider in terms of your itinerary is to change visiting the Coliseum to a night tour. I used City Wonders for that too and it was unbelievable. The Coliseum is one of the most visited places in the world and during the day, the number of people there is crazy. The night time tour has very few people, the weather is much cooler and you see the underground area and stand on the arena stage. You also get a tour of the Roman Forum and other sites in the area as well. Kids will love it too.

Fabulous info!!! Thank you for sharing, esp the hint about the nighttime tour.

I was considering City Wonder and Dark Rome. So your input is great!

As for the Vatican - the kids are 6, 9 and 13.

Edited by jen70

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know what tour she did? We are thinking of something like this for Naples.

My friend just got back with me on this. Here is who she used:

http://wavejourney.com/trips-and-tours/mozzarella-cheese-pizza-limoncello-la-sorgente-sorrento/

I do not fully understand how the booking is done yet. They went on a cruise and did this as an excursion.