Which Is The Better Port...Old San Juan or Pan Am?

cjdixon4

I've been told that the pier at Old San Juan has more activity going on around it, and that you can disembark your ship and walk around/shop before you sail. I've also heard that there's pretty much nothing to see in the area surrounding Pan American pier (where I'll be sailing out of in May 2015 on RC's Adventure).

Can anybody give me some insight?

Which is better? It depends.

If you are boarding a big ship with the only intention to get on the ship and enjoy yourself, the PanAm port is better- while there's traffic, it's a whole lot better than getting to the Old San Juan port area. Around it is not much- other than a small airport. Theoretically, you can walk to a hotel, and you can see a pretty new convention center. I've seen some stuff being built over there, but it's just stuff- not historic.

If you intention is to visit the city- Old San Juan port is way better- it's a short walk from the port to the city.

But your issue has been decided upon- you have to use the Pan Am port.

In which I would suggest that you try to stay overnight in San Juan, and then leave the hotel as late as you possibly can before going to the ship. That way, you can see the city pretty well. That's what we have done, and will do in a week, when we fly down and get on the Adventure.

Which is better? It depends.

If you are boarding a big ship with the only intention to get on the ship and enjoy yourself, the PanAm port is better- while there's traffic, it's a whole lot better than getting to the Old San Juan port area. Around it is not much- other than a small airport. Theoretically, you can walk to a hotel, and you can see a pretty new convention center. I've seen some stuff being built over there, but it's just stuff- not historic.

If you intention is to visit the city- Old San Juan port is way better- it's a short walk from the port to the city.

But your issue has been decided upon- you have to use the Pan Am port.

In which I would suggest that you try to stay overnight in San Juan, and then leave the hotel as late as you possibly can before going to the ship. That way, you can see the city pretty well. That's what we have done, and will do in a week, when we fly down and get on the Adventure.

Thanks so much for your response, alfaeric. I'd love to hear about your trip when you return! I'm SO excited about my Adventure cruise next Spring and I enjoy hearing about everyone's experiences.

Thanks so much for your response, alfaeric. I'd love to hear about your trip when you return! I'm SO excited about my Adventure cruise next Spring and I enjoy hearing about everyone's experiences.

This actually is the 5th time we've done this exact trip. Well, not exact- for some reason, the itinerary has us going backwards from what we have normally done.

This will be the first since the Adventure has been updated, though- so I'm looking forward to that.

One thing I will say- make sure they are dropping you off in front of the Adventure, and not whatever Celebrity ship is next to it. Twice we've been dropped off "early" and we had to walk our luggage to the next building. Not a huge deal, but I would have stiffed the driver of a tip, had I realized what happened.

This actually is the 5th time we've done this exact trip. Well, not exact- for some reason, the itinerary has us going backwards from what we have normally done.

This will be the first since the Adventure has been updated, though- so I'm looking forward to that.

One thing I will say- make sure they are dropping you off in front of the Adventure, and not whatever Celebrity ship is next to it. Twice we've been dropped off "early" and we had to walk our luggage to the next building. Not a huge deal, but I would have stiffed the driver of a tip, had I realized what happened.

Good lookin' out, alfaeric. Thanks for the tip...I don't relish the idea of walking a long distance after a cab ride!

• 3 weeks later...

Alfaeric,

We have sailed several times out of San Juan, but all of them before the Convention Center was built. We are sailing in March and staying at the convention center. Can you (or anyone) tell me what the walk is like from there to Pan Am. You mentioned that the taxi driver dropped you off in front of the wrong ship. Can you tell me what building (ship) is normally closest to the hotel? Or does it always change?? We will have one elderly with us, but she is used to taking walks, so if we could pull her luggage, don't think it would be a bid deal. Also plan on going to ship by 11 am, so it shouldn't be quite as hot.

Alfaeric,

We have sailed several times out of San Juan, but all of them before the Convention Center was built. We are sailing in March and staying at the convention center. Can you (or anyone) tell me what the walk is like from there to Pan Am. You mentioned that the taxi driver dropped you off in front of the wrong ship. Can you tell me what building (ship) is normally closest to the hotel? Or does it always change?? We will have one elderly with us, but she is used to taking walks, so if we could pull her luggage, don't think it would be a bid deal. Also plan on going to ship by 11 am, so it shouldn't be quite as hot.

So you are staying either at the Sheraton or the new Hilton, then.

That whole area is so much better than it was even 10 years ago when we first sailed out of the Panamerican Port. But I would still be cautious to walk to the port.

There's a paved path from the hotels down the road to the ships, until it reaches the water. Then there is nothing but the side of the road. If one was JUST walking, not a big deal- the traffic is high, but that also means it's slow. But with luggage, I would not want to drag it down the gravelly side of the road. It's hot, very exposed, and no sidewalk.

I HOPE that there is plans to finish the side walk, and include some trees.

I think there are plans to finish the port walking area on the north side of the bay- it's been started already. But that will take many years.