Is There Anywhere to Eat in the Port?

Inthedark31

How long is your stay?

It's a quick taxi ride down to Mahahual and you can eat at any of the beach spots there. Just walk along the malecon and stop at whatever looks best. For good local food not associated with a beach club, look for Sak Ha a small kiosk/trailer near the lighthouse.

Just be aware that if you plan on eating at the port, there are multiple reports on these boards that will inform you that it will cost an arm and a leg...and possibly a thigh too, to eat within the port compound. I have read some outrageous reports of 2 people eating and it being close to $100. Complete rip off!

I agree with crew, if you can take the $3 taxi over to the Malecon, even if it's just to eat some good local food, I would do that. It's only a 5-10 minute drive over and so simple to get back.

Otherwise, I would save your "eating" for the free food on the ship. JMO. :)

• 1 month later...

There is an open air restaurant. Used to be quite nice. Last time I was there it was a drunken, music blaring, adult themed wierdness going on. My 19 y/o son refused to be around it. Waiters pouring alcohol down patrons throats until they were so drunk, they should have an an MD on duty.

• 1 month later...

The trolley vehicle that goes to town is $3 pp. They say they have 4 or 5 stops, but that can change. A taxi is $2 pp, but you have to walk a bit outside of the gate, they can only drop off inside the gate, not pick up. So because of our situation we took the trolley thing to town, where they only made three stops and made us walk a further distance than we would have had to to get the taxi, but hindsight is 20/20. We went to Nochos Kay. It's on the boardwalk. It was good. The beers were cheap and the tacos were amazing. We took a cab back. At the trolley stops the people were so aggressive trying to get us to go to a certain place. They were offering free chairs (?) and a free margarita, even an offer for a boyfriend. Whatev, it was so aggressive I was thinking no way am I going there. No one was soliciting for Nochos Kay. When we were in the port, it was free to swim, and I asked people in the reclining chairs if they were being charged, and they said no. So first come first serve, but the drink and food prices. :eek: It is horrible. I would stay on the ship if you don't have an excursion. :(

This is our first time to Costa Maya and I am a little disappointed that we don't dock until 1:00 p.m. so we will probably just hang around the port area. Is there anywhere to eat and/or have a drink in the port that is NOT Sr. Frogs?

Short answer is no there is not anywhere else in the port facility to grab food or drinks (other than bottled water or soda).