Is South of France is a must-see?

Millenia98

We love the South of France and have explored most of the nook and crannies from the Spanish border over to Italy. The best beaches tend to be more towards the West and many of the Riviera beaches (such as in Nice) would not even be called a real beach in the USA because of all the rocks/pebbles. Although there are some coastal cities that draw lots of folks (i.e. Monte Carlo, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, St Tropez, etc) we personally prefer to base ourselves a bit inland with Provence being our favorite area. The major base cities here would be places such as Avignon and Aix en Provence. There is also a lot to say for the Bordeaux area (down and west into Northeastern Spain) where you have some nice cities and decent beaches. The reality is that there are many wonderful areas and if you are on a short vacation you will need to pick and choose according to your own preference.

Hank

Which part? I love beaches but I absolutely need a nice town and culture to draw me in.

Really??? I don't think I would say it is a must see,but if you go to France it's a gotta see the SOF. There is a lot to do and see along the coast as well as inland...beaches are ok,but as Hank said not the US beaches people are used to. I don't know where you are from,but I would do some reading on the whole area as Hank has given you an overall what to check out. I have been there(all over) quite a few times and if I had to pick a place to go back to again and again for any reason I would choose St. Paul de Vence...just the hillside town is enough for me. Menton on the other hand near the Italian boder had it's old town and the new and is not as touristy as the others.Do some reading and pick a few.

I don't know how you define a must see for someone else. We went to Aix, Eze and Villefranche and it certainly was lovely. Where would it compare on your list with Athens, Paris, Barcelona, etc. would be your call.

I don't know how you define a must see for someone else. We went to Aix, Eze and Villefranche and it certainly was lovely. Where would it compare on your list with Athens, Paris, Barcelona, etc. would be your call.

Hmm. Since we happen to really like all those places (and have spent significant time in each) it is hard to compare. What I find interesting is that having been to about 100 countries (and heaven knows how many places in those countries) DW considers Paris her favorite city on earth (NYC would be close to a tie).

Had to note the recommendation for St Paul de Vence, and it is our favorite place in the region between Cannes and Nice. But when spending a longer vacation (we normally spend 1-2 weeks in one spot) we tend to favor the region further west. Despite having been traveling in the South of France for over thirty years, we have never tired of the region (or France) and would return tomorrow if it was convenient.

We should add that if spending more then a couple of days in the South of France, we think a rental car is a must. Many of the best spots are rural and not easily accessed by public transit.

Hank

In my place DW used to consider Paris her favorite. Then she went to Barcelona. I just find it hard to tell another person what would be a must see for them. I can tell them what I liked about a place (I usually stay away from what I didn't like). Even though there are a lot of people who are better photographers than I, I am willing to share pictures to help people make up their own minds about where to spend there time.

Always appreciate your advice, Hank. This year I'll be looking for you on the Baltics thread.

In my place DW used to consider Paris her favorite. Then she went to Barcelona. I just find it hard to tell another person what would be a must see for them. I can tell them what I liked about a place (I usually stay away from what I didn't like). Even though there are a lot of people who are better photographers than I, I am willing to share pictures to help people make up their own minds about where to spend there time.

Always appreciate your advice, Hank. This year I'll be looking for you on the Baltics thread.

You might be looking a long time :). The Baltics are now our area of least expertise since it has just been too many years before visiting many of those countries. The only country in that part of Europe for which we have some good recent knowledge is Norway. After an awful lot of traveling on cruises and land/driving trips we find that its southern Europe that keeps drawing us back again and again.

Hank

You might be looking a long time :). The Baltics are now our area of least expertise since it has just been too many years before visiting many of those countries. The only country in that part of Europe for which we have some good recent knowledge is Norway. After an awful lot of traveling on cruises and land/driving trips we find that its southern Europe that keeps drawing us back again and again.

Hank

We were southern Europe junkies and thought we would be back there again this year(although we have less time than you). Then the idea of checking out Baltics came up and we bit on something different.

OP......what ports are you considering?

Personally, the ports in the south of France are not my absolute favorite places on earth, but taken as a whole, if I had to name a place I would most like to live..... It's the south of France. YMMV

I agree re living in SOF..but Tucso (even hot) is my favorite still. The OP just asked in the subject line is the South of France a must see..I would sya in addition to what I wrote..that if in the area..yes...just to go there say from Paris I would say no not a "must see".

millenia98-

The South of France is almost our second home. We lived there for a while and go back frequently (including next May for a month). The whole area - and it extends from Spain to Italy -is gorgeous and there are many beautiful places to see. The ambiance is quite special - relaxed, sophisticated.

Why don't you look at a few guide books and come back with some specific questions? You will find no shortage of fans here.

Edited by marazul

• 1 month later...

On our TA last spring while in Barcelona, we hired a tour guide who took us to a small coastal town just across the Spain/France border that I absolutely fell in love with, Collioure, France. It had a castle, a fort, a beach and some restuarants along the water and a small quaint village.

While it is not easily accessible from a ships excursion I would highly recommend a visit if you were to find yourself in the area.

SAS21

Although we go to France about every 3 months we are normally in the north due to proximity to London. However, today I have been looking at accommodation around Colliure. I have seen it featured quite often on TV in the UK and think it's the kind of place I would like.

Returning to the original question, is the SOF a 'must see'. I would say yes. It all depends on your interests, so you need to do some research. I think Nice and Cannes have their charm, but would prefer Arles, Avignon and the Camargues. There are lots of places connected with art and artists like Van Gogh, Picasso, etc. The Romans were also there,so IMHO plenty to see and do.

We have a day trip planned from Marseille to Arles, Avignon and Les Baux. I've been rethinking these and wondering if there are better places to try??? Our group is 13, 15, 35 and old me :D All girls that love food and a little shopping for local products.

We have a day trip planned from Marseille to Arles, Avignon and Les Baux. I've been rethinking these and wondering if there are better places to try??? Our group is 13, 15, 35 and old me :D All girls that love food and a little shopping for local products.

Not sure the term "better" is really the question. The places you mentioned are all great places to visit and you could also find many other excellent spots. Another place we often recommend is called Pont du Gard, but you are already doing a lot in a port day so not sure you would have time to add another site. One could probably make a case to substitute Pond du Gard for a visit to Arles, but this is just another of those personal preference kind of things. We definitely think that Avignon and Les Baux should be at or near the top of the list :).

Hank

Not sure the term "better" is really the question. The places you mentioned are all great places to visit and you could also find many other excellent spots. Another place we often recommend is called Pont du Gard, but you are already doing a lot in a port day so not sure you would have time to add another site. One could probably make a case to substitute Pond du Gard for a visit to Arles, but this is just another of those personal preference kind of things. We definitely think that Avignon and Les Baux should be at or near the top of the list :).

Hank

Thank you Hank and LondonTowner! I just thought I needed to make sure with my CC experts. I do think we also do make a stop at Pont du Gard do we should be covered.

Thank you Hank and LondonTowner! I just thought I needed to make sure with my CC experts. I do think we also do make a stop at Pont du Gard do we should be covered.

Depends....do you like to savor what you see? Avignon will take some time, if you visit the Popes Palace. Agree with Hank, 4 towns/sites might become a drive by. How long are you in port?

Depends....do you like to savor what you see? Avignon will take some time, if you visit the Popes Palace. Agree with Hank, 4 towns/sites might become a drive by. How long are you in port?

We will be in port 9 hours. I'm spending 5 days in Rome and I know it still won't be enough and its our second trip. So as far as this area, I just don't know how much time until we are there. If it is too short of a time, then I have to return :)

We are returning to Marseille on Seabourn in a few weeks and I had originally planned on going to either Le Baux ( I have been there, DH has not) or Cassis but now think I may have to nix those plans as the day we are in port ( La Jolliette) is Easter Sunday. Am I correct in my thinking that most everything will be closed ?

We will be in port 9 hours. I'm spending 5 days in Rome and I know it still won't be enough and its our second trip. So as far as this area, I just don't know how much time until we are there. If it is too short of a time, then I have to return :)

We think your thinking is very sound. Many ports become a real trade-off in time versus sites. But going to Avignon and one other regional site does work for most port days as we are talking about no more then 3 hours of driving time. The problem is when tours start to "load up" many other sites (this is a great selling point with some cruisers) for those that think more is always better. To enjoy Avignon, have sufficient walking and tour time, and a little time for a snack, is going to take 2-3 hours.....and this is a real minimum. Even a smaller village like Les Baux is worthy of at least 2 hours. And to be really honest, having vacationed in this region (a few times) we think these kind of times are all somewhat obscene...but it is the nature of cruise ship port calls.

We would add that our first visits to the South of France were on cruises (over thirty years ago. As a result of two cruise visits we soon found ourselves coming back for multi-week vacations. And after thirty years of both cruises and many land trips we have never tired of France (especially the south). This is one of those regions where the more you visit the more you want to return :)

Hank

We are also on a Seabourn cruise, visiting La Joliette on Thursday April 16 from 1000 to 1800. Any recommendations for what to do there?

We will also be at St Tropez on April 17 from 0800 to 1700. I am so excited, since this is my first time in the SOF. I love beaches, but I would also like to see all the sights.

Thanks,

Kathy

We are returning to Marseille on Seabourn in a few weeks and I had originally planned on going to either Le Baux ( I have been there, DH has not) or Cassis but now think I may have to nix those plans as the day we are in port ( La Jolliette) is Easter Sunday. Am I correct in my thinking that most everything will be closed ?

Just a thought. Try to get to Les Baux early. On Easter Sunday it is very likely that there will be a farandole performance on the streets. Google it and try to get the times. This is Provence at its best.

Sorry we'll miss you on this cruising. we will be on the following Sojourn.

We are also on a Seabourn cruise, visiting La Joliette on Thursday April 16 from 1000 to 1800. Any recommendations for what to do there?

We will also be at St Tropez on April 17 from 0800 to 1700. I am so excited, since this is my first time in the SOF. I love beaches, but I would also like to see all the sights.

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy,

the water will be to cold for swimming at that time. Enjoy the sights Grimaud, Gassin, etc.

For La Jolliette, follow the advice on this board. You might want to look at private excursions instead of Seabourn's. SB's are great, but you can tailor a private excursion to your tastes. So much to see there.

Edited by marazul

Marazul,

Thank you for your reply. So you do not think that we will have trouble arranging a taxi or prebooking a driver to take us there? I know it is not like Spain but I made the assumption that since Marseille is very Catholic no one would be working on Easter Sunday. Will check out the farandole.