Driving from NYC to Quebec City

sus809

My husband and I are renting a car (one-way) driving from NYC to Quebec City airport. Does anyone have any helpful info regarding the drive especially from Montreal to Quebec City airport and also what to expect at boarder patrol entering Canada.

Thank you.

My husband and I are renting a car (one-way) driving from NYC to Quebec City airport. Does anyone have any helpful info regarding the drive especially from Montreal to Quebec City airport and also what to expect at boarder patrol entering Canada.

Thank you.

A lot depends on whether or not you plan to visit Montreal. If not, I would go via Vermont and Sherbrooke - a much nicer trip. The route from Mtl to QC on the south shore is as dull as can be. I would also consider crossing to the north shore at Trois Rivieres. A little more time but much more scenic.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

We are driving Boston to Quebec City. We have a reservation with Budget. There is no extra drop off fee. We are going airport to airport rental locations. It was more to drop off car in the city.

We are driving Boston to Quebec City. We have a reservation with Budget. There is no extra drop off fee. We are going airport to airport rental locations. It was more to drop off car in the city.

Wow, just checked that and you're right - it was actually less than just returning the car to BOS for a 1-day rental!

To answer the OP's question, to drive from the NYC area to Quebec City, you want to take the 87 straight up to Mtl, crossing at Lacolle. Yes, the drive thru Vermont is prettier, but is really out of your way, and puts you on the wrong side of the river. As you're driving straight to the airport, I would take the 40 between Mtl and QC, which means crossing the river either in Mtl or Trois-Rivières. I vote for Mtl, and would take the 15 straight to the 25/Lafontaine tunnel, then take the 40 East out of the city. If you arrive at rush hour on a weekday, there will be traffic going out of the city, but it's still the simpler option. There's a bit of a right-left thing with the highway at Trois-Rivieres, but it's well signposted, so just keep following the indications for Autoroute 40 Est to Quebec and you'll be fine.

For YQB, you'll want to take the exit for 'Aut. Duplessis NORD', and then just go up the hill to YQB, the entrance will be on the left. To return a rental car, go as if you were dropping off someone at the terminal (do not go into the parking lot); there's a separate building to the left connected to the terminal by an overpass that houses the rental car offices, and there are a couple of parking spots in front for those returning a car. Very simple and straightforward.

We rented the car through Avis for approx. $130. Yes, we are planning to take I-87 to Montreal. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect from customs when crossing the border.

Many thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

We rented the car through Avis for approx. $130. Yes, we are planning to take I-87 to Montreal. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect from customs when crossing the border.

The crossing should be quick and painless. The crossing can get backed up on weekends and holidays (i.e. Sunday afternoon into Canada) but even then shouldn't be more than a 30 minute wait.

As it will be Canadian Immigration/Customs, you will be greated with a 'Hello/Bonjour' :D. Hand over your passports, basic questions - 'where are you going /how long' etc. There can be long lines at Lacolle; you can sign up for alerts via Twitter on wait times at the various border crossings.

Really, pretty simple.

We are paying $270 for a two day rental. This is for a full size car as DH won't drive an economy/compact car. We will be traveling to just outside Salem, NH to visit with my BIL/SIL. Next day we have reservations in Drummondville Canada. Thought we would take a leisurely trip through the White Mountains.