Age, New Knee, New Hip

JudeeJim

I am 68 years old and had a total hip replacement in August and knee replacement in January. I was thinking about wearing low heels for formal night. I am not sure how steady I will be and have decided to wear the same pair of silver flats for each formal night. I feel confident they will go with all my formal dresses.

What is your thought on this?

I had both my knees replaced in 2007. I know how important the proper pair of shoes are, and I cannot imagine for the life of me worrying about what others may think. Sure, they may not be what I'd like to wear, but other priorities are more important.

Age 66 got a new hip July 09, I'm back to ballroom dancing with none of the bone-cyst groin pain that forced me to this move.

Airport security to cruises however is another matter, as I get "special treatment"; I think my wife rats me out?? I end up spread-eagled with a German Sheppard's (the furry kind) nose up my hinder!:)

you NEED to wear what is comfortable and makes you FEEL good and confident;)...i would love to be able to really wear some high heels but everytime i do i feel the pressure on my knee...reconstruction in 90 and i still feel that pressure and as i get older too and now my feet swell on cruises-humdity-salt/sea air so i just have to find whatever is comfortable and works for me...alot of times i have to take twice as many shoes--but the last cruises i have come prepared and always now can find something that fit and works for the evening.

so YOU WEAR what WORKs for YOU and ENJOY:)

Guess what I did today? I took out the heel shoes and am only packing the silver flats. It sure made my husband happy. He still can't figure out why women need so many different pairs of shoes. Thanks every one for your opinion. And my husband thanks you too.

For those of you who have had a total knee replacement, how long did it take to recuperate to the point where you are comfortable travelling and doing things you enjoy without pain. I know I need one and I keep postponing it because I like to travel and want to feel sure I will be able to do so.

For those of you who have had a total knee replacement, how long did it take to recuperate to the point where you are comfortable travelling and doing things you enjoy without pain. I know I need one and I keep postponing it because I like to travel and want to feel sure I will be able to do so.

I had my knee replacement done on Jan. 11. The hip was in August. My hip took awhile to quit hurting, probably a couple of months. Now for the knee. My doctor warned me that a total knee replacement is much more painful than the hip surgery. He also said it will take more time to be pain free. I am still taking Aleve twice a day for the pain but it isn't going to stop me from enjoying traveling. Go for the replacement and remember each day it only gets better.

I had my knee replacement done on Jan. 11. The hip was in August. My hip took awhile to quit hurting, probably a couple of months. Now for the knee. My doctor warned me that a total knee replacement is much more painful than the hip surgery. He also said it will take more time to be pain free. I am still taking Aleve twice a day for the pain but it isn't going to stop me from enjoying traveling. Go for the replacement and remember each day it only gets better.

I just might be the hip replacement king.

I have had 4(four) so far.

First two at age 40, yep 40. Next two at age 60..

I do agree to go for any body part replacement that is available to you.

My quote(about hip replacements) "Today is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today."

JimmyJames

Guess what I did today? I took out the heel shoes and am only packing the silver flats. It sure made my husband happy. He still can't figure out why women need so many different pairs of shoes. Thanks every one for your opinion. And my husband thanks you too.

I am SO glad to hear this! :)

I understand what its like to want to wear the beautiful shoes, but the pain they cause is simply not worth it.

I had bilateral knee replacements (both knees at the same time) in March 2007. The first couple of months were pretty bad. But the absolute MOST important piece of advice - take your physio seriously. It hurts - oh it hurts - but definitely worth the effort. Take your pain meds. Suffering through the pain only slows your recovery as you will not be able to exercise the leg as effectively if you are in pain. And ICE, ICE, ICE.

By about June I was able to drive comfortably. I took up water aerobics, which felt terrific. And my DH and I went on a cruise in September. I was able to do most things. And now, 3 years later, I am convinced it was the best thing I ever did. :)

I was 48 when I had them removed, by the way. Younger than most when you think I had them both done.

• 4 years later...

Had total knee replacement in October and followed all the dr's orders and diligently did my therapy. Finished therapy at 8 weeks as I had 120 degree bend in my knee. I still do exercises and stretches every day. We are scheduled for a cruise in March (which will be 5 months post surgery). I am walking fine without the use of a cane but do have to sit after too much walking. Sitting for a long period of time is a problem as you need to outstretch your leg. I will just limit my excursions - no snorkeling :mad:, and I will not do anything that could cause me to harm my knee. As to wearing heels or flats on formal night....I'm all for flats. If people don't like it, it's their problem. My son had a formal wedding a few years ago, and I wore dressy black flats. My knees were happy and nobody noticed.

I went on a cruise 7 months after bilateral knee replacement (age 50), and because I was feeling so great and was in such great shape from the physical therapy, I had so much fun on the cruise! No limitations - took the stairs everywhere. And probably because I was having so much fun, I met my husband on the cruise.

It does take up to a year to be completely healed from knee replacement but it gets easier as the months go by.

What I don't like is not being able to run or kneel. And yes, stretching out the leg the first several months is a must, which makes plane travel a little painful. And going through security at both the airport and ship annoying.

9-1/2 years later, I no longer cruise because I'm tired of the hassle of airport and ship security. But I don't regret getting the knees replaced - improved my life alot.