Best way to see some of the island, but still have lots of beach time?

elmojessi

We've done Sonny Liston's tour in the past and really enjoyed seeing the St Thomas sights, but also having time at the beach in the end. However, this time around we'd like more than an hour or two at the beach. Is there a good way to do this?

Is a taxi the best way? We'd like to go to Sapphire beach, so i think it would be $20 pp just to go there and back, which isn't far from the price of Godfrey's tour.

Any private tour operators that would give us an off the beaten path kind of tour? We'd like to have 3-4 hours at the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rent a car!! I did this on m last cruise there (third visit) and I suggest to everyone that feels a bit comfortable with it and can keep track of their bearings to do so. I rented with a national US company (red logo, white letters ;)) and cost me around $70. Got the car at 8am, returned it at 4pm. We went to Coki and Sapphire beaches (around 1.5-2hrs each), drove around a bit and went to the look-out point where you can see all of Charlotte-Amalie and both cruise docks, kept going to Drake's Seat (great view of Meagan's Bay and the northern archipelago of neighboring islands. We had time to head to town, spent about 1.5 hr there and back to the ship. Used a bit of my memory to get to some places, Google Maps for the rest. Just for reference, a taxi to Sapphire will cost $20 p/p each way!!

PS. While the cars there are left hand drive, you also drive on the LEFT side of the street. Just consider that. A bit weird at first but I just kept the curbs on my left and followed other cars...lol!!

Yes keep your shoulder to the shoulder, and if planning to tour the island renting a car is a great idea. But it wouldn't really make sense to rent a vehicle when you're looking to spend most of your time at Sapphire. We don't have recent experience with taxis there but folks have reported drivers giving them a mini tour on their return from Sapphire but you'd have to ask them when you get off the ship.

How can I get tickets to that Enterprise sailing (for the great grand kids)? ;)

Edited by blue_water

• 2 months later...

In St Thomas, we booked Sunny Liston Tours...We're doing the tour and beach package and they give you refreshments. I looked them up on TripAdvisors and there were some awesome reviews. I went directly to their website and booked.

• 2 weeks later...

From Crown Bay is the taxi price about $11/pp each way? Are the taxis more like busses or mini vans--we will have a party of 5 or 7 getting off the Allure and not sure what to expect.

Also, do we make arrangements for that same taxi to pick us up or are there lots just sitting by Sapphire to go back?

Thank you!

Yes taxi fare from Crown Bay to Saphire and the other East End beaches is about $11pp each way. You'll find safari taxis that hold up to 25 people waiting at the dock, a coordinator can direct you to one going to Red Hook and nearby Sapphire Beach, and drivers will stop in to Sapphire to take you back.

Gorgeous beach and a nice day!

• 2 weeks later...
Rent a car!! I did this on m last cruise there (third visit) and I suggest to everyone that feels a bit comfortable with it and can keep track of their bearings to do so. I rented with a national US company (red logo, white letters ;)) and cost me around $70. Got the car at 8am, returned it at 4pm. We went to Coki and Sapphire beaches (around 1.5-2hrs each), drove around a bit and went to the look-out point where you can see all of Charlotte-Amalie and both cruise docks, kept going to Drake's Seat (great view of Meagan's Bay and the northern archipelago of neighboring islands. We had time to head to town, spent about 1.5 hr there and back to the ship. Used a bit of my memory to get to some places, Google Maps for the rest. Just for reference, a taxi to Sapphire will cost $20 p/p each way!!

PS. While the cars there are left hand drive, you also drive on the LEFT side of the street. Just consider that. A bit weird at first but I just kept the curbs on my left and followed other cars...lol!!

Did you have any trouble parking at the beaches and other locations? Are there parking fees?