Best underwater camera??

happymoes

While I don't have a high end one, when I bought our it was a low end one, and the new models I would consider a mid-range price ($150-$200 give or take where you buy it)

I bought a Fujifilm XP10 7 years ago. It was amazing for a cheaper underwater camera! So much that I bought my son one 4 years ago also for vacation since he is older and will go off in the water by himself more.

That being said, 4 years ago when we bought our 2nd one my XP10 was already 4 generations behind. But I read some pretty iffy things about their newest model (XP60) that I went and bought the older one again.

I would upload pictures I have, but to be honest, the camera I have is only 12 MP which is really low for a camera now a days. The easily accessible ones are 16 MP.

I picked up a fujifilm XP70. It's an excellent little camera that does video too. Waterproof up to 33ft. It also does continuous shooting and singles hits during video. The cost is under 200.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got a go pro hero4 silver for my upcoming cruise. Been monkeying around with it and it's a pretty nifty little camera

My GoPro worked like a dream. Really cool underwater shots! We also used a Nikon S32. It's not the greatest but I bough it for under a $100 at Target.

I also have the Fuji XP70 and it takes great underwater as well as land photos. We had an older Fuji XP model that finally quit working and decided to try a gopro. We brought it on our cruise last year and I Just could not get used to not having a view finder on the back as I have gotten accustomed to looking at what I shoot. End up going back to the Fuji and have been happy ever since.

I picked up a fujifilm XP70. It's an excellent little camera that does video too. Waterproof up to 33ft. It also does continuous shooting and singles hits during video. The cost is under 200.

Sometimes amazon has it for $125!

I also have the Fuji XP70 and it takes great underwater as well as land photos. We had an older Fuji XP model that finally quit working and decided to try a gopro. We brought it on our cruise last year and I Just could not get used to not having a view finder on the back as I have gotten accustomed to looking at what I shoot. End up going back to the Fuji and have been happy ever since.

This is the model we have although we've never taken underwater pics with it. It seems sturdy and can take falls and splashes which is why we got it.

Edited by aeshaunua

We have one of the Olympus Tough waterproof cameras but I can't remember which series it is. We also have a Sony HDR-GW77V which is great because it does video and takes 20 megapixel pics. We have used that one a ton.

following

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

there are a few threads on this in the "photo" section here on CC. And it really depends on what price you want to pay. I recently bought a camera mask that I have played with in the pool and will hopefully use on a cruise soon. I already have a non-UW camera that I will always be carrying with me on vacations.

I have several, a Fuji X70, GoPro 3 and a Olympus Tough TG-3. The Olympus replaced two others we've banged around for a decade, both Toughs in some form or fashion.

The Fuji is the best overall for the buck. It has zoom and video capability, doesn't leak and captures decent photos. It has a short battery life.

The GoPro is like a redhead girlfriend. When it's good, it's good... The accessories and battery costs mount. With that said, the setting that lets you capture a photo every few seconds is way cool. We use it a ton.

Shortcomings are a lesser quality still camera as it has no zoom lens. The video is amazing, but I do miss the other features. I'd take it with me anywhere. It's been to Africa and Brazil with incredible results.

The Olympus is my wifes new favorite camera. It is just as good on land as in the water, captures great video, great stills and has a decent zoom. I'm really impressed with the onboard edit features.

I've tried the Lumix from Panasonic, it leaked in 5' of water on it's first use in Grand Cayman. Frys didn't want to return it because of water damage.

Got $500? Get a GoPro and a selfy-stick. Got $400, get the Olympus, got $250, get the Fuji.

Edited by BallFour4

It all depends on what you want to do with it and what you are willing to spend. Do you want to dive or snorkel? I use a Canon SLR in an Ikelite housing with two large ikelite strobes. Weighs about 40 pounds and costs about $3k (and this is a low cost option). My daughter uses a Canon P&S in a Canon housing for about $300. She got one hair caught in the seal and flooded it though.

We got the Olympus TG-3. It's 16 megapixels, shock proof to 7 feet (that was important because we have 2 young kids and I'm a bit of a clutz), it's also waterproof to 50 feet. It's small enough to be a good everyday point-and-click and the underwater photos and video came out beautifully clear. It's easily one of the best investments in a camera we've made.

As a side note, it's also got a handful of photo filters on it that you can apply before shooting and my 6 year old thought that was just the greatest thing ever. He put sparkles on every photo he took. lol

I use a Nikon AW 120 for work everyday. I take about 700-1000 pics daily and it has been flawless. I used a Nikon AW 100 for 2 year before that and it was bulletproof. It actually still works great, but I bought the new one just to buy it. Battery life on the AW 120 is much better than the AW 100 and the zoom toggle switch on the AW 120 is a big improvement over the rocker switch on the AW 100.