Sunshine research questions for a 11 year old....

sandkps

We are cruising next month on the Sunshine with our 2 homeschooled boys (2nd & 6th grade). This will be our first time on the Sunshine, so I'd like my older son to do a small research project on the boat and ports before we leave.

Since he's only 11, he still has a bit of trouble with open ended research projects (IE research the Carnival Sunshine), so I'd like to put together some questions or topics for him to focus his research on. Things like age/size/capacity of ship, locations of various places, little known facts, etc. But being that I've not sailed this ship either, I was hoping my fellow CC'ers that have been on her could help with some suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sandkps

There is a spot on the ship, I believe on the Lido by the opening where you can look down into the atrium-but I'm not sure, where there are pictures showing comparisons of the ship from when it was the Carnival Destiny to what it is now the Carnival Sunshine. Maybe you can ask some questions regarding the switch over from the Destiny to the Sunshine.

how about the ports instead?..maybe some kind of history/culture thing with the ports you are visting

We will include the ports as well, but I have some good information on them. I just need a little help on the ship sides of things. :)

Ask him to research the specialty restaurants/venues vs the food that is included in the ship. It all can be found on the Carnival site under the ship description.

Paid: Java Blue, Bonsai Sushi, Steakhouse, JiJis and Cucinia

Included: Blue Iguana, Guys Burgers, Lido, MDR, Havana bar, taste bar, ocean plaza. Have him write about which he would most like to eat at and why! Perhaps if he does a nice job he can earn a meal or treat at one of the places!

He could also research the different programs for the kids and where they are located on the ship. Camp Carnival is 2-11, with breakdowns of 2-5, 6-8, 9-11. Circle C is 12-14 and Club O2 is 15-17.

Unless he is interested in ship design or comparing this ship with others he has been on I'd think that just facts about this one ship would not be a very interesting report. You can get facts about size, capacity etc. just by Googling the name of the ship but doing a comparison takes some thinking.

I'd also consider asking him to interview some of the staff on board about their jobs, lives, background etc.

In either case I'd not give him questions to answer but I'd let him come up with ten questions or so that he might have about the ship, ports etc. IF you come up with the questions and also give him material with the answers then he is not really doing much thinking . He is just writing down facts that you have given him.