Mounting GoPro outside of Balcony

TaNyler

Hey all sorry if this has been asked before but just bought a new GoPro and not real familiar with them yet but I'm no stranger to photography or photo equipment. But we just got upgrade to a balcony cabin and I would like to get time lapse video of sailways and port arrivals. The GoPro accessories market is MASSIVE so was wondering has anyone secured a GoPro to their balcony and what accessories did you use? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey all sorry if this has been asked before but just bought a new GoPro and not real familiar with them yet but I'm no stranger to photography or photo equipment. But we just got upgrade to a balcony cabin and I would like to get time lapse video of sailways and port arrivals. The GoPro accessories market is MASSIVE so was wondering has anyone secured a GoPro to their balcony and what accessories did you use? Any help would be appreciated.

I used a RigWheels magnetic mount on our cruise last week for the exact purpose you are describing. The magnet on it is super strong,,never slid down the metal partition on our balcony. The only other accessory you would need would be the trip-pod mount for the GoPro. One hint of advice though. Remove it from your camera bag before you go through the TSA checkpoint. The 6 earth magnets make it appear to be a revolver cartridge under x-ray,,,you'll definitely be pulled off to the side,,,I was,,,twice!!!!

magnetic-mount-2.jpg

Edited by Mikesa1721

I used a RigWheels magnetic mount on our cruise last week for the exact purpose you are describing. The magnet on it is super strong,,never slid down the metal partition on our balcony. The only other accessory you would need would be the trip-pod mount for the GoPro. One hint of advice though. Remove it from your camera bag before you go through the TSA checkpoint. The 6 earth magnets make it appear to be a revolver cartridge under x-ray,,,you'll definitely be pulled off to the side,,,I was,,,twice!!!!

magnetic-mount-2.jpg

While this may work, I would also tether the camera to something just in case.

DON

While this may work, I would also tether the camera to something just in case.

DON

This Looks Perfect. If you experienced high winds, did it hold up okay? And how would you go about tethering it to something for safety?

This Looks Perfect. If you experienced high winds, did it hold up okay? And how would you go about tethering it to something for safety?

There has to be something on the camera that you can run a line through.

DON

I ran a piece of string through the hinge of the GoPro skeleton case and tied it to one of the arms of the chair that was on our balcony,,,,I've actually stuck this mount to the hood of our car and drove around with the camera mounted to it. It never budged. Check out their website: http://www.rigwheels.com/product/rigmount-magnetic-mount-with-head/ they make some cool things for the motion picture industry to!!:)

Edited by Mikesa1721

Harbor Freight round magnet, 1/4x20 screw, and a tripod adapter.

This was my setup on the Carnival Dream with the panning timer and aux battery hanging from the overhead - it wasn't going anywhere - great magnet.

IMGP0483.JPG

I've used the Jaws clamp exclusively. It grasped those thick wood rails like a champ and never wobbled. As a bonus, you can use it elsewhere when a magnet won't work. The articulating arm detaches and to tell the truth, I've never used it.

pdp_image_Jaws_1.jpg

FWIW, I never found wind an issue.

Awesome video! What time interval did you have your GoPro set too? And did you somehow have power going to your GoPro or just relied on the battery?

Thanks!

IIRC, it was set on 5 sec, and the internal battery was just fine. It ran for about 3 hours before I turned it off.

I'm so glad I saw this thread! I have a gorillapod but hadn't even thought about using it on this cruise. Same with the jaws clamp.

I was planning to take the suction cup mount to try something like this, but the gorillapod and jaws clamp could give me a lot more flexibility.

My wife is not going to be happy with all the camera stuff I'm bringing LOL.

Nice video, kbnovak!

Like most I am also a big fan of the Joby Gorilla Pod. But I do have one problem with them. They are excellent when they are brand new but after a year or so of use the legs can easily pop out of the sockets and get worn. I have found a new solution and it is still a Joby product... Joby Action Clamp.

Picture of the two models available.

DSC09497-XL.jpg

My other mounts that I take with me on cruises.

DSC09499_labels-XL.jpg

Clamp in Use

CS15HX_%25202300-XL.jpg

Picture from Go Pro Clamped - iPhone App for remote

CS15GP_%25200238-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Like most I am also a big fan of the Joby Gorilla Pod. But I do have one problem with them. They are excellent when they are brand new but after a year or so of use the legs can easily pop out of the sockets and get worn. I have found a new solution and it is still a Joby product... Joby Action Clamp.

DSC09497-XL.jpg

DSC09499_labels-XL.jpg

Clamp in Use

CS15HX_%25202300-XL.jpg

CS15GP_%25200238-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Awesome set up on the Balcony. I may try this. What deck where you on. I'll be on deck 11 and I'm worried I'd be to high up for my time lapse to really make it what I picture in my head.

Awesome set up on the Balcony. I may try this. What deck where you on. I'll be on deck 11 and I'm worried I'd be to high up for my time lapse to really make it what I picture in my head.

That was from this past March: Celebrity Silhouette Deck 10 Port side midship. Here is quick sail-a-way video from Port Everglades with clips from Go Pros and a Sony Handycam. In this video you can see my Sony Handycam clamped to the balcony railing with a Joby Gorilla Pod. The first shot in the video is from a Go Pro mounted to the balcony partition with a suction cup mount . What you don't see is it falling off the partition. FYI our wave was captured by the Port everglades Webcam.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

• 5 weeks later...

DSC09497-XL.jpg

DSC09499_labels-XL.jpg

Clamp in Use

CS15HX_%25202300-XL.jpg

CS15GP_%25200238-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

In the second photo you have a GoPole extension arm 18" - 40". Who makes that? Where did you get that?

Thanks,

Eric

Ok maybe its the amount of beer I have drunk today, but what are all looking to do with the go pro mount on your balcony? Are you leaving it on for acouple hours looking for Fishies, or just in port? Sorry I am kinda brain dead right now.

John

Ok maybe its the amount of beer I have drunk today, but what are all looking to do with the go pro mount on your balcony? Are you leaving it on for acouple hours looking for Fishies, or just in port?

I used a DSLR to build a time-lapse video of our last cruise - aft view, from start to finish (minus a three-hour section about 75% through, when the memory card filled up):

I did something similar, though not the whole time, in 2012: