Luling, LA

maldenmusic

We are cruising out of NOLA on July 4th and have found a hotel in nearby Luling which is east of NOLA. Does anyone know what kind of area this is? I've never heard of it.

Luling is a small town about 25 miles WEST (not east) of New Orleans on the Mississippi River. Probably a 30-35 minute drive to the cruise terminal if you don't encounter traffic. Don't know a whole lot about it other than driving through it. Probably not a whole lot to do there. What specifically would you like to know?

You'll probably be OK if you're driving in and just looking for a bed the night before embarkation. Depending on your plans, though, you may be better off staying closer to the city, like in Gretna on the west bank or Metairie on the east side. Best bet for sightseeing and dining, of course, is to stay in the French Quarter, but that may not be within your budget.

• 1 month later...

thanks. Hotels are hard to find over the July 4th period and this was the closest we could find for a reasonable price. We will be coming from the west. Just want to know if it's a safe area as it will be just myself and my daughter.

thanks. Hotels are hard to find over the July 4th period and this was the closest we could find for a reasonable price. We will be coming from the west. Just want to know if it's a safe area as it will be just myself and my daughter.

Check prices on Covington, LA or Mandeville, LA hotels if you are coming from Missouri. It will be on the way (just take I-12 exit from I-55 instead of going down to I-10)

• 1 month later...

That is Essence Fest weekend (6/30-7/3), so everything in the city will be either booked or expensive and may require a 2 or 3 night minimum. I would check with your travel agent or cruise line to see if they have any deals available for cruisers.

Luling is going to be very far, but if all you need is a bed, I understand.