Celebrity vs. RC for solos

runner2013

Hi all,

I have 2 solo trips next year with RC which I'm really looking forward to. I've sailed on RC several times in the past and like them very much but can't help but wonder what some of the other cruise lines would be like for a solo?

I've read so many good reviews about NCL Epic but I'd like opinions/thoughts on other lines as well.

Preferable Celebrity and Princess. (Carnival is not even an option-did them many years ago and have no interest ever doing them again).

So what do all you seasoned solo's think?, good and bad views appreciated.

Thanks

Patty

I have cruised solo on both RCCL and Carnival. I don't really find alot of difference in the 2 lines - now I definately find a difference in a 3 night cruise vs a 7 or 8 night not I actually think the lines are very similiar.

I will be cruising on Princess for the 1st time next week so I will come back and let you know how it was. I am really looking forward to trying Princess. I have a friend who cruises solo and he loves Celebrity. One day I would like to try them as well.

I have been sailing with Celebrity (always solo) for 11.5 years now.

My first cruise with them was back in May 2003.....I think I have somewhere

between 35 and 40 cruises with them and will be going again in 1 week.....

flying to Ft. Lauderdale one week from TODAY:D...sailing from Miami one

week from TOMORROW:D

So you might say I love their product;)

Lois R,

I am looking at options for my retirement cruise (yay!) in Oct 2016. Itineraries not available yet.

Considering Celebrity Reflection or Silhouette. Are these good choices for a solo?

Tee

Lois R,

I am looking at options for my retirement cruise (yay!) in Oct 2016. Itineraries not available yet.

Considering Celebrity Reflection or Silhouette. Are these good choices for a solo?

Tee

Hi Tee:) congrats on your upcoming retirement! (Wish I could say

the same)...but not for a long time in my case:eek::rolleyes:

Anyway, I have sailed both ships and for me? Either one would be fine.

Actually, I am going on Reflection one week from TODAY:D

Depending on the itinerary? I would sail either ship!

Hi Tee:) congrats on your upcoming retirement! (Wish I could say

the same)...but not for a long time in my case:eek::rolleyes:

Anyway, I have sailed both ships and for me? Either one would be fine.

Actually, I am going on Reflection one week from TODAY:D

Depending on the itinerary? I would sail either ship!

Thank you. Have a great cruise!

Hi all,

I have 2 solo trips next year with RC which I'm really looking forward to. I've sailed on RC several times in the past and like them very much but can't help but wonder what some of the other cruise lines would be like for a solo?

I've read so many good reviews about NCL Epic but I'd like opinions/thoughts on other lines as well.

Preferable Celebrity and Princess. (Carnival is not even an option-did them many years ago and have no interest ever doing them again).

Thanks

Patty

Personally I'm all in favour of trying something new - I've just had my 11th solo cruise, but the first with RC, and loved it - I'll definitely sail with them again, so I'm glad I tried.

I generally don't think being solo makes much of a difference (unless different cruise lines' single supplement policies bother you), although I've also read the NCL solo cabin reviews and I'm curious too.

I really enjoyed my two Celebrity cruises, which were a bit more "refined" for want of a better word, whilst RC was more about the fun - I enjoyed the 2 different cruise experiences.

That said Princess doesn't appeal to me at all, despite friends giving them good reviews, so I'd also consider what appeals to you. If you like the sound of it give it a try. If it doesn't suit you at least you have your favourite line for next time.

I cruise about 5 times a year & have sailed solo on most of the mass market lines. It really all depends on your personal taste. I would never sail Carnival again & probably not NCL. However, if you are in your 20s or even 30s, or like a more casual ambiance, they might be just what you are looking for. If you are a bit older, or like a more upscale experience, one of the other lines might be a better choice. Overall, RCL & Princess have more of a mix of people & seem to attract more solo cruisers then do Celebrity. At least that was the case when I sailed with them in the past. I have sailed on Celebrity 6 times, but the last time was 2 yrs ago. Since then I have traveled mainly on RCL, Princess & Holland. I had always thought Holland was for the "nearer-my-God-to-thee" but that proved not to be the case & I really enjoyed it.

While I enjoyed the experience on Celebrity they do seem to attract mainly couples middle-age & up. While not unfriendly, & to be expected, they mainly do couple things with other couples. This did not particularly bother me as I have traveled solo a lot. However, it may bother someone who has not traveled solo before or is looking for someone to pal around with. I am taking another cruise with them in December & I am sure I will have a good time even if I am the only solo traveler on the ship.

Frankly, I have traveled solo so much that how many solos there are on the ship is no longer a factor in my choosing a cruise. I like to try new ships and am more interested in the itinerary and how good the food is.

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised solo with NCL on the Epic in mid-October and thought it was fantastic. I had read very mixed reviews all over CC and the message boards so I was pretty nervous, but I only had one major problem and that was rectified quickly and I got a bottle of wine and a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries!

The solo cabins are awesome as is the solo lounge concept. You can do as much or as little as you like with them. There were probably 20 regulars that came to the meet up every night. I was definitely one of the youngest (I'm in my late 20s); the average age in the solo cabins was probably around mid 40s. Everyone that I met was pretty outgoing and active. They were on the ship to enjoy Europe, but also to have a good time. This was a fairly international mix which surprised me; I expected many more Americans.

I think it really depends on what you want. If you want a lot of activities, some nightlife, and to be around like-minded people, go for NCL. But if you are looking for peace and quiet, I'm not sure the Epic is the way to go.

I will say that I had no trouble finding quiet spots to read and I thought the thermal suite in the spa area was the absolute best $100 I've ever spent. I choose the Epic because of the solo cabins and a great itinerary, and I would totally sail on her again.

I tend to fall more in line with KoKo1 in regards to impressions of Celebrity and RCL. I cruised the celebrity summit out of nj for a 7 day cruise to bermuda. I was 30 ( a month a way from being 31) and decided to cruise for the first time ever during the week of memorial day. I had no problem rolling solo but what I did find was that the mix of people was mostly groups and familys and the demographics skewed to the more mature side of things. I think celebrity is definitely more refined in its choices of activities and entertainment. I thought the shows were pretty good on celebrity summit and at times i felt there was a lack of things that I would have liked to do. I think that is more of a programming issue or a matter of catering to the natural base of customers. one thing I will say about Celebrity summit is that there staff and crew were top notch! and i actually got to sit down with the activities director so that was cool.

Last year I decided to try RCL as one of the passengers on the summit suggested that RCL would probably be more my speed. I went around the same time of year i went on the summit (memorial day week this time 9 days) I cannot speak for anyone else but for me going solo on RCL was cool as the demographic was a lot more diverse and to my liking. additionally i tend to like RCL activites programing a little bit better. I got to play dodge ball for the first time in ages!! let me be frank here neither of these lines specifically cator to solos. they might throw a solo event on the intinerary but those events are poorly attended with no real cruise line representation. I am not sure how the other cruise lines do it. i read that NCL is the best at making solos feel welcomed. I am one of those types that will have fun where ever i end up so for me that wasn't too much of a concern.

at the end of the day its all a matter of preference. if you want a more subdued relaxing experience i say roll with celebrity. if you want a little more upbeat with more demographic diversity roll with RCL. at least that was my experience on each of the two lines.

I generally cruise solo 2-3 times a year, mainly on Celebrity. I have tried Carnival, MSC, Cunard, Princess and HAL.

Celebrity is by far my favourite, having done over 25 weeks with them. I'm in my mid 50's, very well-travelled (65 countries on all 7 continents), and I just feel most comfortable on Celebrity. Good food, good service, good activities, nice fellow passengers.

Haven't tried RCCL because I have no children and am not lookinjg for the "family" experience. I'm sure they're fine, but not for me.

I would NOT travel again on Carnival or MSC. You get what you pay for.

Best of luck,

Marc

Toronto

Edited by Montreal Marc

Thanks everyone for your input. There is just so much info to read about the different lines it can make you dizzy :eek:

I'm 46 so I'm definitely not looking for the 'party party party' atmosphere. I'd say a little more upscale with a variety of activities to try.

I have seen some trips with Princess that peak my interest so who knows, maybe i'll give them or NCL a try on my next go round. :p

Patty

Hi all,

Thanks

Patty

I've sailed solo extensively on both. I agree with the comments shared by koko1 and angelofsin.

Each has its strengths/weaknesses and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on cruisecritic.

But if you're not used to sailing solo or if you're looking to meet other solos, I would recommend RCL. I think they do a better job setting up solo events (lunches, meet-ups, etc.) than Celebrity.

Good news is that either way, you'll have a great experience.

Joe

Edited by JoePatNYCT