Cozumel theft warning

gfh77665

I want to let anyone renting a car (or even a scooter) know about our experience at a Cozumel Pemex station. We rented a small Nissan car from a local woman at the "ISIS Rentadora" in Cozumel near calle 2 and 5th ave. N. She has great rates, at $55 or less per day, which includes insurance.

We drove the loop around the south perimeter of the island, past the beach clubs until we reached the undeveloped east beach. After that, we traveled the "transverse" road that dissects the island northwest back into town. The first Pemex station you encounter is on the south side of this road as you near the town.

We pull up to the pumps to refill, and they pump about 1.5 gallons to top off the tank. He then demanded a whopping $35 U.S. dollars for this gallon and a half. I say "NO WAY" then all of a sudden he can't speak English. His gestures became more aggressive, demanding the $35. I don't give in, but I am fearing an incident developing that could involve the local police. He suddenly says $25 -- telling me he is "giving me a break". To avoid more hassle, I pay up and leave.

After returning the car, the rental woman tells me "yes, that station is full of thieves". She says the other two Pemex stations are honest. So remember, don't go the the easternmost Pemex on the "transverse" road. Use either of the stations closer into town.

Yes, she told us too but unfortunately, we had forgot by the end of the day. My bad -- lesson learned.

HOWEVER, by posting this warning here, I can realize benefit from the experience by helping others. I hope the Cozumel authorities get word of this, since their economic lifeblood is tourism. Stay safe everyone!

My daughters and I had a similar problem with a taxi. We had an all inclusive day at Papitos (beautiful place BTW), asked the driver how much for round trip and he said $50. which I expected. Half way there he calls his boss and than he tells us Papitos is much further away and it will be $100. He agreed to $90 at the end of the round trip.

My daughters and I had a similar problem with a taxi. We had an all inclusive day at Papitos (beautiful place BTW), asked the driver how much for round trip and he said $50. which I expected. Half way there he calls his boss and than he tells us Papitos is much further away and it will be $100. He agreed to $90 at the end of the round trip.

When I read this webpage I immediately remembered your story here. I think this might have something to do with what happened to you! Now I am a bit worried about the "just grab a taxi". It talks about the huge taxi union and how they only want to take you to places that give them kickbacks.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxiczm

Edited by figi4