The case of the missing Midnight Chocolate Buffet

VirginCruiser II

The case of the missing Midnight Chocolate Buffet OR don't believe everything you read in the Daily Programme.

We've just returned from the 3rd January eastbound crossing on QM2. The much publicised and talked about Midnight Chocolate Buffet arranged for 11 pm in the Winter Garden was eagerly looked forward to by many passengers including many children who were on board. Not ones for this sort of thing, having witnessed the chocolate bunfight on QE on one cruise, we nevertheless went along out of curiosity to see what was on offer. A lot of passengers were there - with lots of young children who had been kept up late - but no staff and not a chocolate éclair or chocolate sponge cake in sight! Somebody went away to ask and came back to report that there had been a mistake in the daily programme. It would have been nice if somebody from Cunard could have announced this earlier or could have at least had somebody there to apologise instead of just leaving everybody to it! Unbelievable and unforgiveable. No star for the "White Star Service" on this occasion.

Edited by VirginCruiser II

The case of the missing Midnight Chocolate Buffet OR don't believe everything you read in the Daily Programme.

We've just returned from the 3rd January eastbound crossing on QM2. The much publicised and talked about Midnight Chocolate Buffet arranged for 11 pm in the Winter Garden was eagerly looked forward to by many passengers including many children who were on board. Not ones for this sort of thing, having witnessed the chocolate bunfight on QE on one cruise, we nevertheless went along out of curiosity to see what was on offer. A lot of passengers were there - with lots of young children who had been kept up late - but no staff and not a chocolate éclair or chocolate sponge cake in sight! Somebody went away to ask and came back to report that there had been a mistake in the daily programme. It would have been nice if somebody from Cunard could have announced this earlier or could have at least had somebody there to apologise instead of just leaving everybody to it! Unbelievable and unforgiveable. No star for the "White Star Service" on this occasion.

How very odd. Even with the Norovirus situation on the 2013 Jan crossing the midnight chocolate buffet went ahead.

Was any reason for its total absence ever given?

Hi Robin, That's a shame about the Midnight Chocolate Buffet, we had the most magnificent one on QV in November 2013. Never see so many amazing creations in chocolate.

We tried Queens Grill for the first time and loved every minute of it. It will probably be a one off. We are in Britannia for our B2B transatlantic in August 2014.

Have you got anything booked for this year?

Catherine

Another example of the "don't care" attitude now so prevalent on board unfortunately. 10 years of regular crossings and a marked deterioration in quality. This was the day before the disembarkation procedures were published for "arrival in NYC" on this eastbound crossing.

A small price to pay for getting "a deal".:rolleyes:

Hi BlueRiband. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. It seems a simple matter for the ship's newsletter to contain accurate information. No matter what fare we pay, all passengers are entitled to the same accurate information.

To state the obvious, passengers paying full fare read the same newsletter as those paying less. From my observation over several voyages on QM2, the Daily Programme has a history of blunders. This indicates to me that insufficient care is taken by those who write/produce the ship's newsletter. Oddly enough, the information on the insert "Discover" page which relates to shops, and other revenue enhancing venues is largely free of errors.

That passengers avail themselves of reduced fares when available is all to the good. Of course, we know that reduced fares will result in a reduction of services - some reductions are more apparent than others. That the ship can't produce an accurate Daily Programme - what does that indicate about cost cutting measures?

But the QM2 never had a chocolate midnight buffet?

Never. This is not in the style of the dinning mode of Cunard.

If it is true, what happened ?

Yes, who was the hotel manager inboard ?:D

Another example of the "don't care" attitude now so prevalent on board unfortunately. 10 years of regular crossings and a marked deterioration in quality. This was the day before the disembarkation procedures were published for "arrival in NYC" on this eastbound crossing.

I quite agree. Here's something else. On that crossing I lost count of the number of times the Entertainment Director ignored us when passing. Even when he was stood there at the entrance to the World Club Party he didn't speak or even look at us despite wearing our diamond pins! It wouldn't have been allowed to happen a few years back.

To be honest, sadly we really don't find Cunard any better than some of the run-of-the-mill cruise lines these days.

I quite agree. Here's something else. On that crossing I lost count of the number of times the Entertainment Director ignored us when passing. Even when he was stood there at the entrance to the World Club Party he didn't speak or even look at us despite wearing our diamond pins! It wouldn't have been allowed to happen a few years back.

To be honest, sadly we really don't find Cunard any better than some of the run-of-the-mill cruise lines these days.

I find the senior officers totally "up themselves" and I can't stand them. The attitude of a lot of them when dealing, or rather not dealing,with passengers who may have problems or queries just would not be allowed in a company on dry land.

The "other ranks" however, the ones that actually do all the work......fantastic!!

I'm assuming from the tone of some of the responses that you all work for companies that have never ever made a mistake - not ever.

Of course everyone makes mistakes. It's the way they are rectified that is the important thing.

Edited by Olliesmum

No deal. We booked this crossing 18 months ago.

You may have booked in advance but if the majority of other passengers waited out a "deal" all will feel the effects of cost cutting.

I don't recall a Midnight Chocolate Buffet on my TAs, but if it was announced in the program at the very least a sign could have been posted stating that the announcement was in error, unforeseen circumstances have forced cancellation, or whatever. It appears the morale is low and fact checking the daily program is another cost cut - probably due to whomever has that job having to do more with less.

Maybe the event was held on one of my voyages and I just put is out of my mind - after reading of the shameful display on board the QE at a similar event. The poster reported of line crashers and other boorish behavior as if people would never see food again in their lives. And all for chocolate goodies that were no different than anything routinely available in the lido.

Of course everyone makes mistakes. It's the way they are rectified that is the important thing.

Your right , had they arrived with a sign or made a short announcement it would been OK, but nothing, the officer didnt care at all, shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

The senior officers party was odd as well, the officers just stood around and chatted to each other with drinks, only 2 or 3 went out and spoke to people.

Its sad, but you really can see the cut backs in cunard and there are many.

You can see why many are now sailing with other lines and why Cunard make amazing deals for these crossings, we have the weeks booked for the next crossings and will simply book as the deals come out

But the QM2 never had a chocolate midnight buffet?

Never. This is not in the style of the dinning mode of Cunard.

If it is true, what happened ?

Yes, who was the hotel manager inboard ?:D

I have not seen one before on QM2, however QE and QV both have them

You may have booked in advance but if the majority of other passengers waited out a "deal" all will feel the effects of cost cutting.

I don't recall a Midnight Chocolate Buffet on my TAs, but if it was announced in the program at the very least a sign could have been posted stating that the announcement was in error, unforeseen circumstances have forced cancellation, or whatever. It appears the morale is low and fact checking the daily program is another cost cut - probably due to whomever has that job having to do more with less.

Maybe the event was held on one of my voyages and I just put is out of my mind - after reading of the shameful display on board the QE at a similar event. The poster reported of line crashers and other boorish behavior as if people would never see food again in their lives. And all for chocolate goodies that were no different than anything routinely available in the lido.

Yep, that was me who posted that! It was on QE and it was a real chocolate bunfight!:eek:

The senior officers party was odd as well, the officers just stood around and chatted to each other with drinks, only 2 or 3 went out and spoke to people.

Its sad, but you really can see the cut backs in cunard and there are many.

They were the same at the last senior officers party I attended as well, just stood in a group among themselves and ignored "their guests". This party was at 11.30 in the morning(!) which meant most of the guests came to the party without eating anything. Everyone got very drunk very quickly and a lot of people told the senior staff how rude they were as they tottered back to their rooms at the end.