Where to look for whales/scenery - Northbound (Budget Queen?)

lmkucala

We've been reading Joe Upton's Alaskan Cruise handbook in anticipation of leaving Saturday (so excited!). It's got a great map and interesting history, but been a struggle to follow honestly to determine where some of the scenery, places to look for whales, etc. is along the way. It's not clear in the book which exact routes the cruise ships take, so a bit hard to follow. For example the book talks about getting up early on the way into Juneau for Tracy Arm, but since Tracy Arm is not listed on our itinerary not sure if we would travel through any of that?

I believe I have seen (possibly from you Budget Queen) others get feedback on where and when to be out on deck looking if you post your itinerary, or feedback from others on what they have seen where. We are hoping to spend time out on deck with binoculars just looking and enjoying the scenery, and don't mind getting up early/staying up late if there is something to see/be looking for. So here goes - any suggestions/feedback:

Coral Princess Northbound - leaving Saturday, 6/25

6/25 - Depart Vancouver 4:30

6/26 - At Sea

6/27 - Ketchikan - 6:30am - 2:00pm

6/28 - Juneau - 8am-9pm

6/29 - Skagway - 5:30am - 8:30pm

6/30 - Glacier Bay - 6:15am - 3:15pm

7/1 - College Fjord - 6:00pm - 8:30pm

7/2 - Arrive Whittier - 12:30am

Thanks in advance for any advice at all!

We've been reading Joe Upton's Alaskan Cruise handbook in anticipation of leaving Saturday (so excited!). It's got a great map and interesting history, but been a struggle to follow honestly to determine where some of the scenery, places to look for whales, etc. is along the way. It's not clear in the book which exact routes the cruise ships take, so a bit hard to follow. For example the book talks about getting up early on the way into Juneau for Tracy Arm, but since Tracy Arm is not listed on our itinerary not sure if we would travel through any of that?

I believe I have seen (possibly from you Budget Queen) others get feedback on where and when to be out on deck looking if you post your itinerary, or feedback from others on what they have seen where. We are hoping to spend time out on deck with binoculars just looking and enjoying the scenery, and don't mind getting up early/staying up late if there is something to see/be looking for. So here goes - any suggestions/feedback:

6/26 - At Sea

6/28 - Juneau - 8am-9pm

The Vancouver NB cruises go through Seymour Narrows the first night, and really you're surrounded by land except between Vancouver Island and Graham Island. 6/26 keep your eyes peeled for birds hovering/landing on the water in a pack...humpback whales may be bubble-net feeding and they'll emerge with mouths open.

6/27 departing Ketchikan for the next few hours you'll have great sights and a potential for whale sightings. Your ship won't go into Tracy Arm Fjord, but you'd probably pass it around 5:00 or 5:30am so if you were really curious you could be up for a peek (I doubt it'd be useful). TAF is a dead-end so it's always an in/out visit; you wouldn't go in without time in your schedule to do so.

6/29 be ready for whales at the entrance (and therefore exit) to Glacier Bay National Park.

Regardless, your Patter will give you key reference points and presumably pages in the book to read. As long as you have the current edition, you'll be all set, and I suspect prior editions are close enough for government work.

The Vancouver NB cruises go through Seymour Narrows the first night, and really you're surrounded by land except between Vancouver Island and Graham Island. 6/26 keep your eyes peeled for birds hovering/landing on the water in a pack...humpback whales may be bubble-net feeding and they'll emerge with mouths open.

6/27 departing Ketchikan for the next few hours you'll have great sights and a potential for whale sightings. Your ship won't go into Tracy Arm Fjord, but you'd probably pass it around 5:00 or 5:30am so if you were really curious you could be up for a peek (I doubt it'd be useful). TAF is a dead-end so it's always an in/out visit; you wouldn't go in without time in your schedule to do so.

6/29 be ready for whales at the entrance (and therefore exit) to Glacier Bay National Park.

Regardless, your Patter will give you key reference points and presumably pages in the book to read. As long as you have the current edition, you'll be all set, and I suspect prior editions are close enough for government work.

Thanks for the tips - I was not aware that Princess may reference Joe Upton's book! I'm glad you said that because I was thinking of just bringing the map with and leaving the book at home - but now I will bring it!

One of my favorite things about Alaskan cruises (and the overwhelming part) is the scenery is everywhere. You're constantly surrounded by picturesque views.

As trophy mentioned, the whales are everywhere. Paying for something like Harv and Marv is great and gets you up close, but you're likely to see some whales from the ship as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my favorite things about Alaskan cruises (and the overwhelming part) is the scenery is everywhere. You're constantly surrounded by picturesque views.

As trophy mentioned, the whales are everywhere. Paying for something like Harv and Marv is great and gets you up close, but you're likely to see some whales from the ship as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks and yes we do have a whale watch booked in Juneau as well!

half of the humpbacks in SE feed in Frederick Sound around where it meets Stephen's Passage. It will be on your transit from KTN to JNU. Last summer while on the ferry from SIT to PSG, they were having to dodge the whales.

Before that will be Snow Passage, it's between Zarembo Island and Prince of Wales island. Not as many whales but they are more concentrated between the islands. After work activity while working on Zarembo was to drive down to Snow Pass, build a bonfire, and picnic looking for whales, if it wasn't raining too much.

Edited by bottom-dragger

6/26 - At Sea

6/28 - Juneau - 8am-9pm

Adding more details, from departure- you'll have scenery through dark. It's worth my time to up and out, prior to dawn the next day, as my priority is to catch the northern end of Vancouver Island. I am usually the only one out- :) but, I've had very high successes of catching a look at the Northern Vancouver resident orca pod/s. You will then go into open ocean after the Queen Charlottes.

At dawn going into Ketchikan, is very scenic with good eagle sightings. Leaving- after approx- 5/6 hours IF your ship takes the route= Snow Pass is a highlight. With Princess, this is the time to have already made yourself known to the ship naturalist and ask.

Again- prior to dawn, is the time to be outside heading into Juneau- pretty much a given to spot humpbacks. (my stats are close to 100%, with hours of "looking" :) )

Skagway is worth staying out after leaving- through dusk, lots of scenery, and a pass by Haines.

Glacier Bay- up and out- prior to dawn. Benefit of this is the ship is essentially stalled, so you have a lot of extended time for any sightings. Good area for sea otters and humpbacks, sea birds. Also will get a look at the Park Service and Alaska Geographic employees boarding the ship from Bartlett Cove. It's of benefit for me, to be out ALL day here. Most people are NOT. So no issue with any of the "crowd stories", you'll hear. I only recommend the lowest open deck with no plexiglass etc which is where you want to be for wildlife. From the employee boarding- it's about 3 hours until you get to glaciers- a lot of uninformed people on this distance. All glaciers are on the port side with matching up commentary. BUT- having continuous viewing is essential for calving action. I never want a 50% limit on my viewing priorities. Leaving the glacier area, you'll head back through the 1st hour area of wildlife again, and employee drop off. Again- worth staying out the whole day, entirely scenic with good wildlife spotting opportunities.

Gulf, all your scenic views are starboard side, of the impressive Mt St Elias range. Occasional marine wildlife seen.

Glacier viewing of College Fjords starts port side, with some starboard and forward at the turn around. I find this an extremely scenic area that is worthwhile to me, to enjoy. Scenery through dark.

One fact to consider. Any "posted" times aren't in stone. I always add at least an hour. Too frequent- I see people running outside, "on time", with a "where's such and such" thinking they are at Disneyland. :) Optimal and extensive viewing opportunities take a LOT of TIME. Most people aren't interested in investing what it takes. But, I have been greatly rewarded- my last "reward" was a couple hours after leaving Hubbard Glacier a few weeks ago. Just about- everybody was long gone, when my nephew spotted 2 bears, running up and down the shore line, in and out of the water, with very good viewing with our quality binoculars (wide angle- always "necessary" with at least 10 power, for my preferences). I felt bad that the bridge didn't announce this, because a large number of people could have seen this. We had the views for over 15 minutes- which is a LONG time of viewing from a cruise ship (frequently it's seconds of view, you have to be accepting of)

This is a little misleading. It is difficult for most people to spot the entrance of Tracy Arm Fjord and that is hardly worth being out for. There isn't any "sign". :) I can spot it. It's those HOURS prior to Juneau that need to be invested in my opinion.

I also rarely see any humpbacks north of Ketchikan, outside of Snow Pass. South, occasionally in Dixon Passage.

If you've got Glacier Bay on your itinerary, the scenery is pretty much nonstop from all directions (and most ships will do 360-degree turns in front of the major glaciers so everybody everywhere on board gets a good look). There is also potential wildlife sightings throughout the time you're there. Watch the shorelines for bears poking around the rocks at low tide (we didn't see any, but repeated cruisers told me they have), and in the wider part of the Bay, you're likely to see humpback whales, sea lions, and sea otters.

The sea lions are especially easy to spot because they often yell at you and each other. They're noisy. ;-D

I actually saw more whales in Glacier Bay than I did on my whale watching excursion with Harv & Marv.

On a northbound itinerary, when you leave Glacier Bay, keep an eye to Starboard for some additional glaciers. The Brady Glacier is huge even from a distance, and even in cloudy, foggy weather (like we had) it and its parent ice field are visible. Later on you can also see the La Perouse and Fairweather Glaciers from the starboard side.

Thanks for the tips - I was not aware that Princess may reference Joe Upton's book! I'm glad you said that because I was thinking of just bringing the map with and leaving the book at home - but now I will bring it!

Princess used to use Joe Upton's books. Last time on the ship, they moved on to a different author and referenced their book. The new authors book was probably a little bit better (more color pictures, etc...) but if you have the one, it probably is not worth buying the other.

Here is the book they are using - it is by Rachel Cartwright:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/how-to-order-localized/Gifts_Services.pdf

Edited by Coral

Princess used to use Joe Upton's books. Last time on the ship, they moved on to a different author and referenced their book. The new authors book was probably a little bit better (more color pictures, etc...) but if you have the one, it probably is not worth buying the other.

Here is the book they are using - it is by Rachel Cartwright:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/how-to-order-localized/Gifts_Services.pdf

this is actually a sweet negotiated deal with Rachel. She has been with Princess a LONG time. I first met her in the 90's as a ship naturalist, sailing with her several times. A few years ago- she started moving around ships giving an Alaska program plus promoting her book. She had a nice schedule- with some overnight time in ports, since wasn't assigned a ship. I saw her the last 2 years doing this. Haven't been on Princess this year, to see what she's doing. :)

this is actually a sweet negotiated deal with Rachel. She has been with Princess a LONG time. I first met her in the 90's as a ship naturalist, sailing with her several times. A few years ago- she started moving around ships giving an Alaska program plus promoting her book. She had a nice schedule- with some overnight time in ports, since wasn't assigned a ship. I saw her the last 2 years doing this. Haven't been on Princess this year, to see what she's doing. :)

Some people get the dream jobs :) It was actually a pretty good book.

I did meet Joe Upton on a cruise several years ago. He had just published his latest edition and was signing it on our cruise. He had a pretty good deal for awhile as he also had his Panama Canal book I believe. I think I bought that at a clearance on the ship.

Edited by Coral

I recently did the Northbound itinerary. I saw orcas on day 2 enroute to Ketchikan. I got lucky and twice upon walking into the Crow's Nest I saw people pointing-many eyes are better and although higher up there I was not cold. We saw humpbacks in Glacier Bay. I was on the promenade deck when the naturalist announced a whale on the side of the ship I was on so had time to spot it before we sailed by. I was on the back of the ship when the naturalist announced a bear on the beach-again I had time to spot with my binoculars before the ship went by. I agree with the posters who say that the spending more time on deck with your binoculars increases your chance of wildlife sightings. Good luck!

Your mileage my vary, but we have seen a lot of wildlife by keeping our binoc's handy whenever sailing. Beware that many brown bear sightings on shorelines turn out to be log remnants--LOL!! Stephen's Passage on the way in/out of Juneau can have marine life..........sometimes it is the luck of the draw. In 2008, I saw a blow close to the ship and then the humpback did a full breach a 100 ft of the port aft! Walkers and everyone facing that direction at that moment had a show! Those walking to bow didn't see it. Sometimes it's as simple as that, but the more you look the higher your odd's.

One other thing......if you know when you are going through Seymore Narrows it can be worth it to be on a promenade deck and experience the tidal intensity. Obviously it's safe for the ship when they go through, but it is an auditory experience to hear the tides against the ship and sometimes feel the power around you--especially on the promenade deck closer to the water. Usually at night, but worth it at least once to know what they talk about!!

Your mileage my vary, but we have seen a lot of wildlife by keeping our binoc's handy whenever sailing. !

It isn't a matter of keeping binoculars "handy", it's having them with you- all the time. :) Few people do, but I am one of them. They are around my neck all day, yep- were with me, when I was in the Diamond Lounge on RCI, recently, with all the "dressers". :) After a few days- I didn't get any more "looks". ;) :)