Tuxedo hire

Poppins74

Hi, we are due to sail on Britannia in July, this will be our first cruise and I am sure it won't be our last. My husband has a dark suit that he feels may be suitable for formal night, but I know that he would really like to wear a tuxedo. However he is reluctant to buy the full outfit in case we decide cruising isn't for us. So what I'm asking is, can you hire tuxedos on board, or would we be better hiring one before we sail?

Try before you buy if you like :)

Hi, we are due to sail on Britannia in July, this will be our first cruise and I am sure it won't be our last. My husband has a dark suit that he feels may be suitable for formal night, but I know that he would really like to wear a tuxedo. However he is reluctant to buy the full outfit in case we decide cruising isn't for us. So YB what I'm asking is, can you hire tuxedos on board, or would we be better hiring one before we sail?

Try before you buy if you like :)

Sorry they do not do tux hire onboard. Your best bet is to hire before going. Or the dark suit will be fine for the first cruise. M and s and may also do reasonably priced ones for the 2nd cruise onwards.

As formal dress code specifies tuxedo OR dark suit, I agree its probably sensible for your husband to stick to that and then buys a Tux at his leisure afterwards for your no doubt many future cruises. He could always wear a bow tie with it if he wants to be more dressy-uppy.

Yes, p&o no longer hire, I looked into it last year before our first cruise and they'd just stopped.

We bought a tux from Moss Bros in their offer (suit, bow tie, shirt) and I don't remember it being more than £120. May have been less, but this was Christmas so they may have had better deals on. It was also at their 'outlet' store in York, but I think it was their standard deal from the signs. I'm fussy but this tux seems good. I can honestly say it looked as good as anything else I saw on the ship and it was certainly better quality than the m&s suits.

I too was worried about buying one and us not enjoying the cruise, but I'm glad we did, as we will do a cruise again (maybe this Christmas again)

Thanks for the responses, we have just got a good deal for our 15 year old son at BHS a full tuxedo suit, shirt and bow tie for less than £60 (John Rocha), so think hubby is thinking he will be outdone by son. We will try M&S and Moss Bross as I love a trip to York outlet, only thing is I will spend more money! This cruising milarky is expensive!!

Buying your own tuxedo can be a very close price to hiring. Sometimes it is cheaper if you go onto ebay for example. It is worth noting that if it gets damaged it is a smaller and less stressful problem if you own it yourself in my opinion.

Regards John

Looking online Moss Bros are now sadly £149 at the mo for most sets. I can pop in and look though, as I drive past each day on my commute. Be better than you driving over to find they're too expensive at the mo! Let me know if you want to know if the Outlet is currently better value...

Unless of course you want the excuse to go there ;) !!!

Edit...

John, that's why we didn't hire from a shop, cost was similar and the stress of hubby getting food on it would have been too much for me!

Sounds like the BHS offer is good, prob under their current dire situation at BHS :(

Edited by Goosebear Mum

On our recent Arcadia cruise we saw a lot of men in dark suits and ties. Although Tuxedos and DJs are in the majority. M&S do very reasonably priced dinner suits that compare favourably with hire prices.

At the end of the day it's up your husband what he feels comfortable with.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

On our recent Arcadia cruise we saw a lot of men in dark suits and ties. Although Tuxedos and DJs are in the majority. M&S do very reasonably priced dinner suits that compare favourably with hire prices.

At the end of the day it's up your husband what he feels comfortable with.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

A vote for a M&S navy blue suit here. It looks just as smart as a dinner jacket and is much more flexible as you can wear coloured shirts, try pale pink or pale blue and a vast range of ties. You can also wear the trousers without the jacket which you can't do with a dinner suit. Some time ago P&O had their magazine do a makeover on a couple for formal night. They gave the man a navy blue suit so it is allowed by the P&O 'fashion police' ;)

I also have a M&S dinner suit, very smart and you can wash it!, Yes, bung it in the machine and it comes up beautifully without any shrinkage or wrinkles.

When we went on our first cruise my OH wore a normal dark suit. He then decided he would like a tuxedo for our next cruise. He also bought his suit from Matalan. He then wanted an ivory jacket, which Matalan also do, but we're out of stock.

He bought the ivory jacket from eBay for £50 and it fitted like it had been made for him. He also bought some dress shirts from eBay for £10.

So, it doesn't cost a fortune to look smart. I don't know if the ladies are aware there is a good website for posh frocks from Jacques Vert called Just Last Season. Worth a look.

When we went on our first cruise my OH wore a normal dark suit. He then decided he would like a tuxedo for our next cruise. He also bought his suit from Matalan. He then wanted an ivory jacket, which Matalan also do, but we're out of stock.

He bought the ivory jacket from eBay for £50 and it fitted like it had been made for him. He also bought some dress shirts from eBay for £10.

So, it doesn't cost a fortune to look smart. I don't know if the ladies are aware there is a good website for posh frocks from Jacques Vert called Just Last Season. Worth a look.

Jacques Vert (Just Last Season) is great for cruise outfits, they have a shop in Cheshire Oaks and may be in some other outlet places.

Edited by anniebea

You can get good stuff on Ebay if you are careful. If you want a nice set of Swarovski Tuxedo Studs and Cuff Links, "Singingrandma" has a shop that does a wide range costing about £30 delivered. The basic cufflinks alone are dearer on board if they are offered.

Regards John

M&S do a dinner suit for £89 - if you wait until they have their 20% offer (which they have every few weeks) you can get the suit for just over £70. My hubby has one, it's lightweight and easily washed.

Try Matalan.A suit is £50 on their website.A friend bought one for her husband and he is pleased with it:)

Just to add my little bit to the debate, I checked out Matalan prices a couple of months ago whilst looking for my son and SIL for the full kit (DJ incl. trousers, white dress shirt and black bow tie - the latter two came together) and the total cost of the complete set came to £70.

A bargain for once in a while wear.

Hi, We are on our first P and O cruise in November. Bought my tuxedo online at Dobell for £50 was £100 and it fits like a glove. Excellent service too. They do all the various shirts and bow ties as well.

I'm going my first cruise also in 16th July, on the Britannia Iberia cruise. I was going to wear my suit with black tie or bow would this be ok??

My BIL plans to wear a dark suit, - he asked me what tie would be acceptable? does it need to be a Bow tie and does it need to be black??

Looking online Moss Bros are now sadly £149 at the mo for most sets. I can pop in and look though, as I drive past each day on my commute. Be better than you driving over to find they're too expensive at the mo! Let me know if you want to know if the Outlet is currently better value...

Unless of course you want the excuse to go there ;) !!!

Edit...

John, that's why we didn't hire from a shop, cost was similar and the stress of hubby getting food on it would have been too much for me!

Sounds like the BHS offer is good, prob under their current dire situation at BHS :(

Thanks for that offer, I've just realised that there's a moss bros at Castleford outlet which is near me and another tailors which I have been advised today has gone into administration, so I can have a look at weekend. Hubby has definitely decided he wants the tuxedo, especially now son has one. And I'm sure it will be an investment for future cruises ;)

I'm going my first cruise also in 16th July, on the Britannia Iberia cruise. I was going to wear my suit with black tie or bow would this be ok??

Not a black tie, you will look if you are going to a funeral. Any reasonable normal tie will do but don't make it too loud or it will look like a tie entering the room not your husband.

I don't know if a bow tie is suitable for a normal suit, unless you are an eccentric :D

Personally I think a black bow tie with a normal suit looks odd.

My husband wears a dinner suit but won't wear a bow tie as he does that all the time. So he has a black silk tie with some sparkly bits on. I think it looks odd but let him get on with it [emoji23] who notices after a couple of glasses of wine anyway?

Edited by Florry