Bodrum on Monday in June

sedaniel

Hello everyone! This is my first post on Cruise Critic but I have been reading the forums and website for a while now in preparation of our June 2016 eastern Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon. We will be in Bodrum on a Monday and I'm reading that a lot of sites are closed that day. Does anyone know if the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus will be open that day, or if it is something that would be easily visible to us even if it isn't technically "open" on Mondays? We were really looking forward to seeing this because it is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and are pretty bummed that it sounds like we won't be able to. We will only be in Bodrum this one day. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone! This is my first post on Cruise Critic but I have been reading the forums and website for a while now in preparation of our June 2016 eastern Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon. We will be in Bodrum on a Monday and I'm reading that a lot of sites are closed that day. Does anyone know if the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus will be open that day, or if it is something that would be easily visible to us even if it isn't technically "open" on Mondays? We were really looking forward to seeing this because it is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and are pretty bummed that it sounds like we won't be able to. We will only be in Bodrum this one day. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

As I understand it, there isn't much of the mausoleum left to see. Much of the stone was used in the construction of the nearby Castle of St Peter. This is an interesting attraction in its own right and houses a maritime museum. I've read conflicting reports on whether or not it will be open because there is a cruise ship in port. I'm there on a Monday in September and will stroll over to check it out. If its open, great, otherwise it should be a nice walk.

Edited by steve ch

• 2 months later...

Hello, Yes, i was wondering the same myselft....

i'm sailing on the Reflection (Celebrity) and we'll call there on Monday 13 June.... I read and checked on various sites that museums and the like are closed on Mondays....

Does any one know if that is the case during the summer period? what else is there to see and do, apart from the 'official' sites?

Thanks for your help,

Jacques O, in Paris

You can see what is left of the mausoleum without going inside. There is a model inside of what it looked like but that is about all. It is worth the stroll up the hill. We went up even further because we saw a sign which said ancient theatre and sure enough there is one. It was gated and locked but you could have a peek. The view from up there is wonderful.

I think you likely will have to take the ship tour if the castle and underwater archaeology museum are closed. The castle is nothing special (at least for those who have seen several in Europe) but the museum is interesting.

You can see what is left of the mausoleum without going inside. There is a model inside of what it looked like but that is about all. It is worth the stroll up the hill. We went up even further because we saw a sign which said ancient theatre and sure enough there is one. It was gated and locked but you could have a peek. I think you likely will have to take the ship tour if the castle and underwater archaeology museum are closed. The castle is nothing special (at least for those who have seen several in Europe) but the museum is interesting.

Agree with Mary Ann on things being a little limited and "gone" at the mausoleum site. It's still interesting, but things did get "picked fairly clean" here. See one of my visuals below as it shows how you can look down into the site and see much of what is left there at this location. We found the castle/museums to have a nice combination of various items, sights, experiences. More visuals below.

Bodrum has become a chic, "hot" and popular tourist destination with its warm but not humid climate. It has a wonderful combination of the ancient past with all the current tourist attractions, shops and restaurants, including modest cafes to exquisite Turkish cuisine. Having this holiday/entertainment image, it can offer sea, natural beauty and history, as well as for its modern nightlife. The area carries the imprint of many cultures and civilizations, including Persian, Helen, Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman. Lots of interesting history and excitement here.

You might consider e-mailing to one or both this address and ask for their suggestions on potential tour providers:

info@bodruminfo.org

info@bodrumpages.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 143,108 views for this posting.

Historic ruins at Mausoleum site in Bodrum. It was known as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, This Mauseloum was built by Artemisia, the sister and the wife of King Mausolos, B.C. 355. It stood on a 21-stepped pyramid, 46 meters high and carried a horse car symbolising victory. It had 36 marble columns in Ionian style. The Mauseloum was destroyed in an earthquake. Many statues and reliefs from the Mauseloum were carried to the British Museum in 1856.:

Ruins.jpg

Here is Bodrum Castle and next is a view from the Castle to our cruise ship. Also called the Castle of St. Peter, it was built from 1402 by the Knights Hospitaller during the crusades of the middle ages and is considered the most prominent landmark in Bodrum. It operates as a museum, with the focus on the Museum of Underwater Archaeology. Its collection has finds from underwater excavations along the Turkish coast including the famous Uluburun Shipwreck. This was one of the earliest and richest wrecks discovered. This castle is considered one of the world's best preserved monuments dating back to medieval times.:

BodrumCastle.jpg

CastleShip.jpg

At Bodrum along the Turkish Coast, here's a religious tower and view of the town in background. Bodrum has a population of about 35,000.:

MintTower.jpg

Thanks for the lovely photos, Terry.

i'm sure we'll have a great time in Bodrum, even if when we get there on Monday most sites will be closed.

We might take a boat excursion to visit the islands or discover the coast. That'll be a change compared to sailing on the big Reflection!

Jacques

We have been to Bodrum twice and will be there again in two weeks. This time our plan is get get another couple or two from our ship and go out on a Gulet for the day.. There is a good reason it is called the Turquoise Coast. Jacques I will try to post from our cruise and let you know how it goes as we will beat you there by a few days.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone who has been to Bodrum on a Monday confirm that the Castle and Museum are open to cruise tours, even though the website says they are closed? The Celebrity rep told me they would be but I'd like to verify. Thank you!

We went in June 2016 and the castle was definitely open on Monday. I can't speak to any museums as we just went to the castle and then walked around and had some lunch and drinks on the water. It's a beautiful place to visit - the food is great!

Thanks, Terry! I always love your photos and helpful commentary.

Jacques O: Thanks for the lovely photos' date=' Terry[/b'].

sedaniel: We went in June 2016 and the castle was definitely open on Monday. I can't speak to any museums as we just went to the castle and then walked around and had some lunch and drinks on the water. It's a beautiful place to visit - the food is great!

Great to get the confirmation that this prime location is open on Monday for cruise ship visitors. Makes sense that they would be smart in being open and welcoming key cruise visitors to this charming resort/port town at their top attraction.

Appreciate the very nice comments on my photos from Jacques O and Pluto_fan. Glad that both of you are persons of such high class' date=' great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

As a follow-up, here is [b']more on the Bodrum Castle or Castle of St. Peter. Hope these visuals are either a good preview for what is there and/or bringing back nice memories for those who have been able to visit there previously.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 19,574 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Starting with where we entered this museum/castle, these visuals offer just a small sampling for the wide variety of interesting sights and experiences here. Even some animals and birds, here. Lots of unique history, beautiful gardens, lots of character, etc. The fifth picture is a view from the castle walls out towards the water and city areas. The final view is from a hillside resort looking towards where the castle sits with our cruise ship shown on the left as it is anchored.:

TravelSept161_zpsx0kccgqw.jpg

TravelSept162_zpsxrjrgbsf.jpg

TravelSept163_zpsnjb2igro.jpg

TravelSept165_zps5eonqhcc.jpg

TravelSept164_zpsrdlpllpt.jpg

TravelSept166_zpsh3tlny7e.jpg

• 1 month later...
Reporting back that our cruise ship stopped in Bodrum on Monday, October 17, and the castle was open. We went on our own, not as part of a ship's excursion.

Appreciate your kind updating and so glad that things worked out well for your Bodrum visit. Any other highlights that you loved most from being there and/or on your overall trip?

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 22,283 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.