Road to Hana - halfway or All the Way?

igepal

Looking at doing Road to Hana for second cruise day in Maui. Norwegian has two choices:

Sixteen passenger van all the way around- get your own lunch at Hana Ranch- 9.5 hours

Eight passenger van to Hana then back- picnic lunch at Hana included- 8 hours

Has anyone taken either? What do you miss when you don't go beyond Hana?

Thanks for any suggestions.... George

If you're going to do it, go all the way! You won't be missing anything, really, if you don't go on the "Road to Hana" at all! Yes, there's beautiful scenery, but that's everywhere on the Hawaiian Islands!

We drove it on a land vacation....it was a way to "kill" a day. I wouldn't do it again.

All the way. We rented a car for two days, and drove ourselves to Hana on day one. Stop when you want. Beautiful scenery. Great experience. There is a parking lot near the pier where we left the car overnight.

Dick and Jane

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I loved the scenery on the south side of Haleakala - it's completely different than the RTH where you are driving through the trees most of the way. The south side is open and offers spectacular views of Haleakala's slopes on one side and the ocean on the other. So much nicer in my opinion to have the variety of seeing both sides rather than the repetitiveness of returning the way you came.

We didn't do it on a tour - we drove, but because of a stretch of unpaved road on the south side, there's the risk of voiding the car rental contract.

Like others, I am glad we went the whole way around. Also like others, I wouldn't do it again. I see the RTH as a once in a lifetime drive (and I was also happy to let someone else drive!). We went with Valley Isle Tours and had a wonderful time. Well I had a wonderful time, DH napped much of the way :D

If you're going to do it, go all the way! You won't be missing anything, really, if you don't go on the "Road to Hana" at all! Yes, there's beautiful scenery, but that's everywhere on the Hawaiian Islands!

We drove it on a land vacation....it was a way to "kill" a day. I wouldn't do it again.

Thanks for an honest reply...I was thinking the islands will have awesome views all over them as well, and the RTH does not have to be part of one's visit to enjoy Maui. There is so much pressure to do certain things with all the "must sees" and it can make planning your minimum time on the islands very difficult. We want to have fun, not just "kill a day".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My research (going in March) leads me to believe you might as well go all the way around. The environment after Hana changes dramatically, becoming drier and more volcanic.

There's a lot to see on that side of the island too. There's a red sand beach (not easy to get to though), the Pools of Oheo are right by the road, and you can hike in the lower reaches of Haleakala National Park if you're feeling up to to it, including a hike to the Waimouku Falls.

And frankly, if you've spent the hours to get to Hana, why turn around and spend the same hours getting back up the same twisty road? Go on around!

We're doing a car rental there, and driving ourselves so we can set our own pace and stop when we want to.

There is so much pressure to do certain things with all the "must sees" and it can make planning your minimum time on the islands very difficult.

That's a good point - we all have different interests, and with such a short amount of time on each island when you're on a cruise, it's important to pick activities that you think you'll enjoy (but I don't think there was any pressure here indicating that it's a 'must do'.)

We've only visited Maui on land trips and didn't even drive the RTH on the first trip there (8 days). We did it on the second trip and since then, decided that if we felt like a long drive, we'd do it again, but so far haven't.

If I only had 2 days, I probably wouldn't choose to spend one of them doing the RTH, but for someone who loves long, scenic drives, then it might be the perfect day for them.

Can you do all the way with a rental car (mini van)???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

According to the most recent (6th) Edition of "Maui Revealed", yes. There are apparently still a few places where the road surface is less than ideal (compacted gravel) beyond Hana, but the stretches are short and are apparently safe enough to be driven by tour buses all the time.

However, it's not clear to me if the rental car companies have removed their official prohibition on doing the drive all the way around. Apparently, at one point they prohibited it, and the book is not clear if those rules have officially changed or not. I guess we'll see when we pickup the rental car.

We're going to do it in a compact car - I don't suppose a mini van would be any worse. Our plan is to do the drive all the way around so as to be positioned to head up to Haleakala for the sunset (if the weather is good) then back to the ship. I'm sure the sunrise up there is beautiful, but we're on vacation and getting up at 2:30 am to drive up there for that doesn't fit with the word "vacation" for us!

Edited by VideoTech

Our plan is to do the drive all the way around so as to be positioned to head up to Haleakala for the sunset (if the weather is good) then back to the ship. I'm sure the sunrise up there is beautiful, but we're on vacation and getting up at 2:30 am to drive up there for that doesn't fit with the word "vacation" for us!

I don't think driving the full loop of the RTH and then up the switchbacks to Haleakala summit and back down in the dark would fit with the word "vacation" for most either, LOL :)

Regarding the rental car contract - it won't specifically mention the road by name, but when you look at the fine print in the terms and conditions for prohibited uses, if it indicates unpaved roads, then it would apply to the south side of Haleakala. We've done it in a rental car, knowing the potential risk involved with being on the hook for damage costs if they happened on that section of the road.

I don't think driving the full loop of the RTH and then up the switchbacks to Haleakala summit and back down in the dark would fit with the word "vacation" for most either, LOL :)

Regarding the rental car contract - it won't specifically mention the road by name, but when you look at the fine print in the terms and conditions for prohibited uses, if it indicates unpaved roads, then it would apply to the south side of Haleakala. We've done it in a rental car, knowing the potential risk involved with being on the hook for damage costs if they happened on that section of the road.

*lol* yeah, we're still talking about this one. Not sure we want to spend a whole day driving around that side of the island either. In fact, at first we had not even planned on doing the RTH. Problem is, you get so many different estimates of what the time involved would be.

I know the road is narrow, twisty, and slow because it's clogged with traffic. I also know that we'll want to stop and see various sights...not ALL of them, but certainly some. And of course, once you get a certain distance down the RTH, you might as well go on as turn back.

We also know we want to spend one of the two days on the other (Lahaina) side of the island. So we're still trying to figure this one out.

My feeling is: if we miss the sunset at Haleakala, we'll just have to come back, right? Or we may find the weather's not good, since we're going in March. So there are a lot of variables involved.

I agree about the rental contract for the car not forbidding certain roads. That's been my experience elsewhere. And like you, I'd figure to evaluate the risk vs. the reward, and make a decision.

Edited by VideoTech

.... at first we had not even planned on doing the RTH. Problem is, you get so many different estimates of what the time involved would be.

It sounds like you've thought it through pretty carefully - what is hard to determine is how you'll feel on the day of, doing all that driving on roads that require a lot of concentration. You could always attempt it and if you got around the RTH loop and changed your minds about going up Haleakala, you could just head back to the ship.

If it came down to a choice between the two, I would choose Haleakala over the RTH on such a short visit. We've been up several times on land trips and it never ceases to amaze with it's spectacular scenery...we haven't been for sunrise or sunset though as we like driving up and down in the daytime to take in the views both ways and do some hiking up there.

I don't think you'll have a problem with weather on Haleakala summit in March ... it can get clouded in at any time, and it's hard to tell from sea level whether the clouds extend all the way to the summit. If the whole area is socked in with clouds, I wouldn't chance it ... but if it's partly cloudy, there's a good chance that it will be clear at the summit. You might want to check weather for both Hana and Haleakala on this site the day or two before.

I agree with your choice to spend some time in W. Maui on the second day.

Enjoy! :)

It sounds like you've thought it through pretty carefully - what is hard to determine is how you'll feel on the day of, doing all that driving on roads that require a lot of concentration. You could always attempt it and if you got around the RTH loop and changed your minds about going up Haleakala, you could just head back to the ship.

If it came down to a choice between the two, I would choose Haleakala over the RTH on such a short visit. We've been up several times on land trips and it never ceases to amaze with it's spectacular scenery...we haven't been for sunrise or sunset though as we like driving up and down in the daytime to take in the views both ways and do some hiking up there.

I don't think you'll have a problem with weather on Haleakala summit in March ... it can get clouded in at any time, and it's hard to tell from sea level whether the clouds extend all the way to the summit. If the whole area is socked in with clouds, I wouldn't chance it ... but if it's partly cloudy, there's a good chance that it will be clear at the summit. You might want to check weather for both Hana and Haleakala on this site the day or two before.

I agree with your choice to spend some time in W. Maui on the second day.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks for the advice! It's good to hear from someone who's obviously done these things before. We're now thinking of just doing West Maui and the summit sunset on the first day, and leaving the second day open based on what we see and how we feel. We might do some of the RTH, or we might just find a nice beach.

Thanks again!

That sounds like a good plan.

If you don't do the RTH, I would visit Iao Valley (close to Kahului) - best to go in the morning before the clouds move in. That day you could also visit some beaches in S. Maui - and drive down to La Perouse Bay to see the lava fields.

On your west Maui day - don't do the full loop around as the Kahekili Hwy is undergoing some repair work, and the weather recently has been bad (heavy rains) - it's not a good road at the best of times, and with possible closures due to the repairs currently going on, you'll want to avoid it e.g. If you drive as far as the blowhole, turn around and return the same way, per this route. There are some great beaches in W. Maui if you want to do some swimming that day too. Then if you head to the summit - this route.

The route that I mentioned for day two would look like this.

Just some suggestions - there's lots to choose from, and I think it's wise of you to keep some flexibility in your plans so that you can base the decision on how you feel and how the weather is. :)

Starting from Kahului and doing the loop around to Hana and back the south side, without stops - probably about 5 hours, but maybe less if traffic is light on the RTH portion. A poster on the Maui Tripadvisor forum says that he really enjoys doing this route on a Harley.

Just a note though to check the weather forecast - you wouldn't want to do it if there are heavy rains - which has been the case this week.

Starting from Kahului and doing the loop around to Hana and back the south side, without stops - probably about 5 hours, but maybe less if traffic is light on the RTH portion. A poster on the Maui Tripadvisor forum says that he really enjoys doing this route on a Harley.

Just a note though to check the weather forecast - you wouldn't want to do it if there are heavy rains - which has been the case this week.

Thank you, Susan-M, for your reply!

I really appreciate your input :)

We will be weather scouts, as usual on a motorcycle for us.

Heavy rains = No Riding.

We have lots of experience, even on crazy poorly engineered foreign roads.

We are very safety conscious & do not ride in the dark or drink & ride.

You're welcome - glad to be of help :)

I just did a quick google search to see if I could find a post from the poster who I mentioned above who likes to ride it on a MC. I found a recent one (Oct '13) and it seems that his opinion has changed, but he does have some back issues, so that might be the reason for not enjoying it as much now as he used to on a MC. Scroll down to post #28 in this link to read his comments - he's also posted photos from his blog. When he mentions doing the 'inverse route' he means that he did the south side first and returned on the RTH (that's how we drove it, in a car.)

Here's another link that might be of interest. Note the mention of roads being wet from water run off after rains - November is the start of the wet season, so even if it's not raining that day, you'll want to watch for water flooding the roads - there are signs in a couple of spots on the south side of the route where it says not to continue if that section of the road is flooded.

A good site to check for weather is this one, and the same site provides an overview of weather by month.

Hope the weather co-operates and you have a great ride (one more caution though - check with the rental company to be sure that it's OK to take the MC on the south side.)