Warning! Anti Gay Incident in Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Sweetd

I returned from a mid December sailing aboard the NCL Jewel which was a wonderful ship. They had a FOD meeting every night & I met some great guys from Vancouver.

I want to publicize an incident that occured on a recent visit to Jamaica. Our ship docked at the pier that is about 15 minutes walk to town. One of the Canadian guys, who is definitely gay but did not dress overly flamboyant or try to attract attention to himself was verbally accosted at the Craft Market in Ocho Rios & on his way back to the ship. It was a bit frightening for him and his friend. Although they were not physically harmed they were verbally attacked by several personnel of the merchants and even a school bus full of school girls screamed, "*****", as they were walking. I personally did not have any problems but both of these guys informed me at dinner that it was a very unpleasant experience. Jamaica is know to be homophobic & anti gay. It is really a shame that such a beautiful island is so intolerant and that their government is not wise enough to recognize the loss of huge revenue from gay visitors to their island. Just wanted to warn those people going ashore to be careful and vigilant. Hope this message helps. Even though it is a beautiful island I do not plan go to back to this port again until there is a change.

I'm not surprised to hear this.

I was just at this port in late December and have no desire to go back.I was on the Island for about an hour before getting back on the ship.I didn't feel safe at all! I talked to quite of few people straight/gay that felt the same way as me.

:)

Yeah I have heard a lot of bad stories about Jamaica. I also know that a lot of people from other islands in the Caribbean also give Jamaicans a bad rap. Quite frankly it has a bad reputation whether deserved or not. I know its one of the most beautiful islands in the world but the crime rate, the vigilante mentality and the anti-gay stance of its people make me very weary about visiting it and I wouldn't select it as my first choice of a vacation spot.

I have a good friend from work who is from Jamaica and she is one of the nicest people I know. However, even she has mentioned the way the society is down there and she has no real intentions to move back to live herself.

Can't imagine why anyone gay would choose a cruise that stops in Jamaica, much less get off the boat that day...

Right – it’s important to remember that even if you don’t get off the ship, your share of the port charge goes to the Jamaican government.

Right – it’s important to remember that even if you don’t get off the ship, your share of the port charge goes to the Jamaican government.

Quite true --

But even of you don't do that, part of your federal taxes go to foreign aid for Jamaica...

:mad:

Quite true --

But even of you don't do that, part of your federal taxes go to foreign aid for Jamaica...

:mad:

Unfortunately all I can do is stay off a ship that goes there…they won’t let me tell them what to do with my tax money. But having tax money directed to a homophobic government doesn’t surprise me either…!

Can't imagine why anyone gay would choose a cruise that stops in Jamaica, much less get off the boat that day...

For me it was my first cruise and with my parents/sister/niece and nephew.I wasn't aware of how anti gay Jamaica was until I started reading these boards.I wasn't very imressed with any of the ports on my Western Caraibean cruise other then Grand Cayman.

For me it was my first cruise and with my parents/sister/niece and nephew.I wasn't aware of how anti gay Jamaica was until I started reading these boards.I wasn't very imressed with any of the ports on my Western Caraibean cruise other then Grand Cayman.

They're infamous for having turned away an all-gay charter a few years ago and homosexuality is still illegal...:mad:

That was in 1998 I think things have changed,personally I would have no problem visiting there again in fact I'm looking at going there in April for two weeks.

Also from my limited reasearch/understanding homosexuality isn't illegal in the Caymans.

:)

I don't know why the cruise lines don't just drop Jamaica from their itineraries. Most people do not like Jamaica anyway and that is regardless of sexual orientation. About a year ago, there was a poll on these boards as to what port of call cruisers thought cruise lines should drop and Jamaica was one of the two top choices for dropping.

I guess that explains why Sandals resort didnt have any problems setting up shop in Jamaica. Sandals is notorious for turning away gay couples at the gate. They make it clear they want male/female couples only!

I am sure Jamaica welcomed them with open arms.

I wonder how that dumpy little island would feel if no ships came there at all because of their anti gay setiments? I bet they would change thier tune right quick. They depend mostly on tourism, as most of those islands do. Without tourist......

I wont be going back there anytime soon. I didnt see anything there that interested me anyway. I went once to say I have. Thats that.

They probably won't stop going to Jamaica until there is political violence, seems to be the only reason as of late.

And .......Jamaica has been doing a lot of advertizing in magazines lately.......tourism is a big part of their income...;) ........like Aruba....;) .

In response to several of you who asked why I went to Jamaica in the first place. As you can see but my recent trips I have cruised a lot of places recently & have traveled extensively all my life. Even though I was not interested in really going to Jamaica because of what I have read, I cannot believe that all of the people of this country feel or act the way that some of the ignorant & poorly informed people behave. I agree that, with education & economic pressure, they can be enlightened as to the benefits of allowing all lifestyles the freedom & security of visiting their island. I wanted to see the situation for myself and went on an excursion with one of the local operators. The tour was excellent & they were very hospitable and I didn't have any problems. I must note that I didn't indicate my sexual orientation nor did it seem to be an issue. The island has natural beauty and although the local people were somewhat agressive when it came to selling their wares, I didn't really feel threatened walking around Ocho Rios. I didn't walk the road back to the ship & didn't see any other incidents except for the one mentioned in my original post. I went into a local telephone/telegraph office to use the internet and was treated just as anyone else that was there. I do not plan to go back to Jamaica in the near future but maybe in time the government will become aware of the huge loss of revenue to their economy due to their policies & lack of support of all alternative lifestyles.

Wait a minute – is Aruba anti-gay too? Or do people just disappear there? I’m sailing in May and one of my stops is Aruba (Panama Canal – no Jamaica or Grand Cayman).

No dear - gay people disappear in Wyoming and Texas.

You'll be fine in Aruba...

Wait a minute – is Aruba anti-gay too? Or do people just disappear there? I’m sailing in May and one of my stops is Aruba (Panama Canal – no Jamaica or Grand Cayman).

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Aruba is anti-gay.

Aruba has experience bad press and voices to boycott due to Natalee, but Cruise Lines won't stop their visits and the US Govt is not going to ban travel due to public outcry.

My comment was that it will take political unrest (ie Cartagena and Haiti).

My partner & I have been to Jamaica at least a dozen times, and we have NEVER experienced a problem, and we are not the most masculine guys around either!! We have gone and spent weeks in Jamaica and have been completely around the beautiful island, even Kingston. One summer when we went back and were walking down a street in Ocho Rios, we started to hear a person shouting our names....it was a taxi driver we had had from the previous year! :) WOW !!! He told us he would take us anywhere we wanted to go, with NO charge.... We wanted to go to a place to eat good seafood and one that locals went to.... he took us way back in the sticks & we pulled up to this little hut... the woman inside was cooking over an open fire and we had the BEST fish dinner we ever had, several RED STRIPES and the bill for the 3 of us was $8.00 and we could not finish our plates.... We were drinking a beer after dinner and all of a sudden out of nowhere many people started coming around. they set up speakers and all of a sudden we were all dancing in the street! Late into the night, our driver, Winston, took us back to the hotel and we did give him a nice tip, that he tried to turn down.....This was one of the best experiences I ever had while traveling, We have nothing but good to say about Jamaica. I am sorry that you had a bad experience. There is good and bad everywhere you go, even here in the USA.... ignorance is still worldwide.... but it is a shame to condemn a whole country.... most sincerely Dan

I returned from a mid December sailing aboard the NCL Jewel which was a wonderful ship. They had a FOD meeting every night & I met some great guys from Vancouver.

I want to publicize an incident that occured on a recent visit to Jamaica. Our ship docked at the pier that is about 15 minutes walk to town. One of the Canadian guys, who is definitely gay but did not dress overly flamboyant or try to attract attention to himself was verbally accosted at the Craft Market in Ocho Rios & on his way back to the ship. It was a bit frightening for him and his friend. Although they were not physically harmed they were verbally attacked by several personnel of the merchants and even a school bus full of school girls screamed, "*****", as they were walking. I personally did not have any problems but both of these guys informed me at dinner that it was a very unpleasant experience. Jamaica is know to be homophobic & anti gay. It is really a shame that such a beautiful island is so intolerant and that their government is not wise enough to recognize the loss of huge revenue from gay visitors to their island. Just wanted to warn those people going ashore to be careful and vigilant. Hope this message helps. Even though it is a beautiful island I do not plan go to back to this port again until there is a change.

Sorry to hear of your friends problem in Jamaica, I was there on a cruise for the first time in Feb 1975 - not only were they anti gay but also anti caucasion! The gov't permits the drug trade to thrive & there were demonstrations galore! The only way to visit Jamaica is to stay at the all inclusive resorts & not leave the premises.

I returned in the mid 1980's hoping things had changed - they had not. I won't go back - there are too many islands that welcome me & the people are friendly. In all areas of the world a traveller must be cautious as to where one walks....but Jamiaca is a no go for me.

Also - note in Nassau Bahamas they are big anti gay & sometimes teh religious right have demonstrations near the pier stating so. I now stay on the ship when in the Bahamas. Thye won't miss me - but I won't support such ignorance in any form.

I think that's interesting, what y'all have to say about Jamaica. Frankly, I feel the same way about Grand Cayman with all their homophobic crap going on in years past. I have been on ships visiting both places two years in a row. The first year, I got off in Cayman but didn't spend a dime. In Jamaica, I had to climb the falls at Dunn's River, but I found the populace to be pretty pushy in general and that completely turned me off. The next year I didn't get off the ship in either place. But, that always suits me just fine since I go on a cruise to experience the ship far more than the islands. Aside from Bermuda, most every island I've been on pretty much is like another, so I don't care if I ever get off the ship.

Also from my limited reasearch/understanding homosexuality isn't illegal in the Caymans.

Though rarely enforced as long as gays remain "discreet with their behavior," whatever the **** that means, Barbados *does* indeed have a law on the books outlawing homosexuality.....not the act of gay sex....but actually just BEING gay.

Unfortunate, since I hear that Barbados is beautiful....but I won't set foot on soil in countries where I feel my life/freedom or my partner's could be in jeapordy....even if the chances are remote.

Still, I have to agree with previous posters that Jamaica is by far the worst. If I absolutely had to book a cruise that stopped ANYWHERE on that island, I would not dare set foot off the ship.