Pay for upgrade at the pier?

mtsublueraider

We are sailing in the next week and I called Cunard asking about upgrading to a balcony room. Balcony's haven't actually been available for a few weeks (months?) so I was curious about the price. Obviously it's fairly steep compared to what we paid. however, they mentioned that we should ask the agent when we're at the pier about "making a deal" on an empty balcony should we want to upgrade when we got to the pier. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks!

You can't do it check-in ( the pier as you put it) you'll have to visit the Pursers desk once onboard. Subject to any vacant staterooms or no shows they may ask you contact the desk later in the evening when the ship has sailed and the guest/ships manifest has been completed. :)

Having said that, New York may have a different procedure than Southampton UK

Edited by Bell Boy

That you have never been on Cunard before is obvious. At the check-in on the pier there will be signs that read something like the ship is full and room changes are not possible. When you get aboard you can ask at the Purser's Office, but don't fall over when a price is quoted.

I'm surprised a Cunard agent told you to check at the pier. Check in agents have control over stateroom assignments and even less authority to negotiate fares. They just check you in according to the booking information given to them. This person clearly needs re-training. (Or they just wanted to end your call and go on to the next one waiting in the queue.)

Whenever I've been on the ship there is always a sign at the Purser's desk that the ship is full even if it isn't. Some here have mentioned that when they inquired about an empty room the desk contacted shore side, which returned a brochure price.:eek:

About the only thing you can do is check daily for online availability and get on the phone if a balcony becomes available. It might be the full brochure rate so it might be very expensive to upgrade.

I don't know if you booked on a promotional fare or not, but going forward it never pays to book an accommodation you really don't want in the hope that the upgrade fairy might visit. Although some have been happily surprised with very nice complementary upgrades most of the time you get what you paid for and only that.

Edited by BlueRiband

We once enquired about an upgrade whilst on board. They took a couple of hours to think about it and then quoted me the most ridiculous price. They were also very reluctant to tell me which room was available. They would only tell me if it was midships etc. It was very strange. We declined.

We are sailing in the next week and I called Cunard asking about upgrading to a balcony room. Balcony's haven't actually been available for a few weeks (months?) so I was curious about the price. Obviously it's fairly steep compared to what we paid. however, they mentioned that we should ask the agent when we're at the pier about "making a deal" on an empty balcony should we want to upgrade when we got to the pier. Has anyone had any experience with that? Thanks!
Hi mtsblueraider,

Not sure about "making a deal"... they may have something you want, that's a seller's market... they don't need to "deal", merely state their price.

Don't be surprised if that price is something astounding...

It could turn out there are others chasing that very last balcony cabin, if there is one...

Have a great cruise on Queen Mary 2 :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi mtsblueraider,

Not sure about "making a deal"... they may have something you want, that's a seller's market... they don't need to "deal", merely state their price.

It could turn out there are others chasing that very last balcony cabin, if there is one...

That's probably it. If Cunard can sell a balcony for a last minute booking at full freight they won't offer a discount to anyone who is already committed to the sailing. It's business.

... it never pays to book an accommodation you really don't want in the hope that the upgrade fairy might visit. Although some have been happily surprised with very nice complementary upgrades most of the time you get what you paid for and only that.
Wise words BlueRiband.

Hi mtsblueraider,

Happened to us on boarding at Singapore. We wanted QG (booked in BC) and they had one available. We paid the price but it was eye wateringly expensive and far more than the rate the site was showing the day before.