cruise with teens 14 & 17 (age split?) help!

CouponMom

We are planning to surprise our kids with a cruise in June 2015. Hubby & I have been on several, but this will be the first time to take the kids. In June my daughter will be 17 yrs old, incoming Senior. My son will be 14 (15 in August), incoming Sophomore.

One thing I've noticed is that some of the "teen" activities on different ships have different age ranges. Both my kids are fairly quiet - but especially my son (painfully shy!). The dilemma, is I want to have activities where he can hang around his sister also.

Some of the ships split 13-14 yr olds from 15-17... my son would rather hang out with us than be alone with younger kids. ;)

Any input on this? Are the cruises strict about the kids exact age?

Also - I've only cruised in the winter/spring months. I'm guessing the prices will be higher to catch the "family" vacationers? Any tips on getting a good price?

My kids were 15 and 17 on our NCL Breakaway cruise, and they loved it! The group was 13 - 17, and they hung in a group. They still keep in touch, a year later. I was shocked that the two of them hung out together - usually dd doesn't tolerate her little brother.

When we got home, they started hanging out together a little here at home (they've always had some mutual friends).

Once they're onboard , being together will NOT be the big deal you're imagining. They will have plenty of time together...and age appropriate activities in the club, should they choose to attend. Most kids over 14 don't do the "club" stuff.

Your kids need to learn how to navigate their world on their own....they are close to adulthood..painfully shy won't cut it. I was lucky..my "shy" son found a college roommate that took him under his wing, and got him out of his comfort zone....my adult child is quite a man, now...

Let your kids grow up!!

Edited by cb at sea

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to surprise our kids with a cruise in June 2015. Hubby & I have been on several, but this will be the first time to take the kids. In June my daughter will be 17 yrs old, incoming Senior. My son will be 14 (15 in August), incoming Sophomore.

One thing I've noticed is that some of the "teen" activities on different ships have different age ranges. Both my kids are fairly quiet - but especially my son (painfully shy!). The dilemma, is I want to have activities where he can hang around his sister also.

Some of the ships split 13-14 yr olds from 15-17... my son would rather hang out with us than be alone with younger kids. ;)

Any input on this? Are the cruises strict about the kids exact age?

Also - I've only cruised in the winter/spring months. I'm guessing the prices will be higher to catch the "family" vacationers? Any tips on getting a good price?

We have been cruising since our kids were 4(DD) and 7(DS) and they are now 17 and 20. They were never in the same age group except our Epic cruise when they were both in the Teen Club together. I think that is one of the reasons neither of them liked going to the kids clubs. They always preferred hanging out with us and when they were older going out together. We had no problem with that. The things they would do together include mini-golf, basketball, and ping pong. The things we would do together as a family include trivia, cards, bingo, shows, dining, sunning, excursions, and the comedy club. We always found plenty of things to do without the kids club and cruising became one of favorite types of vacations.

The teen clubs are looser in structure than the younger kids clubs. They will have some activities set for one age group and others that are open to all in the teen club.

Kids at this age level tend to make friends and "hang out" together without necessarily participating in the formal teen club activities.

I would select a cruise that is more likely to have a larger number of kids on board - at a time when kids have time off school and about a week or shorter in duration. I would also select a cruise on a ship that has activities that your kids will enjoy -- it is a lot easier to meet other kids and make friends when your kids are participating in activities that they are excited to do (rock climbing, skating, zip lining, water park activities). Encourage both kids to try activities and they will find "like minded" kids.

Also, be certain his older sister is "ok" with him hanging out with her. It is not really fair for her to end up "babysitting" him for her full vacation. I understand some kids are ok that way, others not so much. I know some families where it is just "expected" that one sibling takes on another -- and some resentment built up.

The teen clubs are looser in structure than the younger kids clubs. They will have some activities set for one age group and others that are open to all in the teen club.

Kids at this age level tend to make friends and "hang out" together without necessarily participating in the formal teen club activities.

I would select a cruise that is more likely to have a larger number of kids on board - at a time when kids have time off school and about a week or shorter in duration. I would also select a cruise on a ship that has activities that your kids will enjoy -- it is a lot easier to meet other kids and make friends when your kids are participating in activities that they are excited to do (rock climbing, skating, zip lining, water park activities). Encourage both kids to try activities and they will find "like minded" kids.

Also, be certain his older sister is "ok" with him hanging out with her. It is not really fair for her to end up "babysitting" him for her full vacation. I understand some kids are ok that way, others not so much. I know some families where it is just "expected" that one sibling takes on another -- and some resentment built up.

I often see parents asking about keeping their kids together, and wonder how many of them would rather have some time apart, with kids their age.

Usually the cruise lines are very strict about the age groupings. Staffing is often based on the number of kids per age on board. Sometimes a kid near the cut off age may be moved down a group upon request, but not the other way around. Just think, that a 14-year-old, who is looking forward to hanging out with kids in his age, may not be so happy to see another kid's younger sibling in the teen center. The activities were planned to be age appropriate, and there could be liability involved if a younger kid is hurt while in the wrong room under the watch of the staff.

To me, there's a big gap between 14 and 17 as far as some kids are concerned. Princess normally has the 13-17 group in their Remix group, but when my daughter was a teen on two cruises, she sought out girls her age on the first night and that's who she hanged out with. One of those girls repeated the cruise we did (they were Facebook friends and stayed in touch) and they made plans to meet up again on the first night. They ended up finding another 15 year old girl and three boys their age and for the two week cruise did their own thing (setting up a ping pong tourney, judging the art work in the gallery, going to shows, etc.).

My daughter is fine with her brother most of the time, they get along very well, but I would never force her to hang with him. :)

My son will be exactly 1 month from 15 and a sophomore in High School. for those that mention 14 is a big gap from 17... I don't think any of these kids mature much in one month. But I know he is not going to hang with any middle schoolers. LOL

Thanks for all the feedback!