Electric wheelchair and flights

Grandkel

Hi everyone.

This is specific question that I suspect only wheelchair user will be able to answer.

I am due to go on the Azura on the 7th February 2014 and have just been told what cabin we have been allocated and as I am disabled we have been very lucky to be allocated a fully adapted cabin. This means I don't have to take my fold up wheelchair and power pack.

I have resent my medical form to P&O telling them I will be taking my electric wheelchair but need advice on what to do at the airport before we fly? As this chair does not fold down, except for the back which will fold flat but the airport staff could not push, do I leave it in the normal set up? I believe it might be advisable to remove the detachable feet rest and take them in the cabin for safe keeping. Do I remove the control panel and take this on board or do I leave it on the chair?

I have read that I need to tell the cabin staff that I need my chair when I disembark and they will tell the ground crew on arrival.

Any help and advice would gratefully received.

Call your airline and speak directly to them - as much as the good folks here would all like to help you, the answer to your question is specific to both your wheelchair and your airline.

Having been through something similar with a battery powered scooter, I'd suggest you get very specific with whomever you speak to, and have the written specifications (including weight, dimensions, type of battery, etc.) in front of you when you do.