Outdoor temps on Aus/NZ cruise

jobinhume

I am taking the Solstice cruise on Feb 3 from Auckland, around NZ, then over to Sydney and ending in Perth.

I have been checking the weather and see the difference between the moderate temps in NZ and much higher in Australia.

My specific question for anyone who has done a similar cruise in February or to anyone who lives there is - on sea days are you able to enjoy the deck pool or laying out in a swimsuit in NZ or is it just too cold? I have seen some reviews that reference them handing out blankets - is this just for the fjords or all the time in NZ?

I presume it is plenty warm once we get to Australia

Thanks in advance

The temperature in NZ currently is around 20 degrees centigrade. It may get to the mid 20's but not much more. As one goes further south this temp will drop to the high teens , that said it could also remain in the early 20's. When cruising through the Sounds prepare for breezy conditions and possible temps in the high teens. If intending to spend time on deck during the sounds make sure you have a good windproof jacket and also be prepared for a light sweater as well.

Temp in Sydney currently is mid 20's, Melbourne and Perth in the 40's.

We are doing this trip 12 months time

DH and I have been to the South Island of New Zealand in February (also cruised it this last November). During February we had glorious weather in the low twenties, basically short sleeved top with a cardigan readily available. If the sun is shining and the wind speed is low you should be able to sit out on deck absolutely fine. Mind you their weather is changeable and it could be quite chilly and windy, its the chance you take. As Beanb41 said, take a lightweight windproof jacket along with you.

Well it is January now and I live in Adelaide South Australia, 43 degrees C yesterday, same today, 45 tomorrow, 47 day after that - then a blessed cool change and down to 26 by Saturday. You will definately be able to sit on the deck - but in the shade. The ozone layer is thin here (NZ too), you can get burnt very easily in a very short time. February can be southern Australia's hottest month but as long as you are prepared for it you will be fine.

47 here on Thursday? :eek: where did you see that?

Currently 45c here and a thunderstorm rolling by.

Well you can keep that where the sun don't shine

We have had glorious weather around Sydney around 28 but looks like you are about to send that hot stuff over here. Melbourne also very hot this time of year.

Always cooler at sea.

Edited by cassamanda

We did this cruise last year in the later part of February from Auckland to Sydney and I have to say that although the experience was amazing the weather could have been better. Auckland the weather was warm and sunny, and then heading south down the coast of New Zealand the weather deteriorated. We experienced rain on and off at the ports of New Zealand down the coast, the crossing through the Tasman was incredibly smooth but foggy and cold. Melbourne was cloudy and on and off rain, and our arrival into Sydney was cooler weather with rainy conditions. On the Bridgeclimb in Sydney the rain was blowing sideways from the wind. Out of the four sea days we had, only one of the days between Auckland and Wellington was nice enough to be outside by the pool.

We were on HAL so the mid ship pool with the retractable roof was packed to capacity and the roof closed.

But again its weather so can vary from year to year, but I would definitely plan on a jacket and some unexpected weather.

Edited by absolutboy20

Hard to believe that less than two weeks ago we were in Melbourne and the restaurants at Southbank had on their outside heaters.

I am afraid that the Australian weather is changeable and you need to be prepared for a range of conditions.

I have read the temperatures in Australia recently (108-115F), and I am wondering if these high temperatures are what they generally are at this time of year.

I am planning a cruise Down Under for next January, and I would like to know if this is what I can expect.

I have read the temperatures in Australia recently (108-115F), and I am wondering if these high temperatures are what they generally are at this time of year.

I am planning a cruise Down Under for next January, and I would like to know if this is what I can expect.

Hi there. I live in Adelaide, the city that just experienced five days around 110 - 113F in a row. While not exactly a once in a lifetime event, it was extremely unusual. The media was making a big deal of this as it was that unusual.

Adelaide was the hottest city in the world this week and it was a big deal. We can often get two days of high temps in a row but then we have a cool change. That is around the coast. Perth often experiences a few more hotter days. December was much more pleasant. I wouldn't let it put you off coming down under but it is summer and do we get the odd hot day. And a cool change just rolled in tonight and no more hot days for a while.

Well it is high summer, but no it is also unusual for coastal regions but quite common in the outback of Central Australia - that's why you only find flies there;)

If you read the previous post by Karennella you will see that Melbourne was quite cool (and wet) for weeks before. Now they are in the grip a heat wave with 40c temps.

Sydney is generally milder at 30c + but in the western suburbs some 5-10 warmer. Sydney in Feb can have heavy afternoon thunderstorms.

Temps further north are also around 30-33(90-95) but humid. In the far north it can be very wet.

On the west coast it is generally hot and dry around 35 but on the south coast around Albany and Esperance it is much milder.

In the fiords of South Island -- small ship (70 passengers) and motor boats for excursions in the rivers and shore. Feb 6 - 14. Should I carry my manmade down coat? I would love to leave it in Baltimore but then I think of the cold February winds when we went around Cape Horn in South America and I decide to bring the heavier longer coat. Take it or leave it? My next coat in warmth is a vegan leather jacket that would also accommodate a fleece.

We will also spend a week in the Franz Josef areas before heading to North Island for 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice. Every ounce of space counts on this 35 day trip with 28 days in NZ and 5 days in Tahiti.

:rolleyes:

It's unusual to have this many hot days in a row, but in summer we will have a few random days this hot. This week broke the record for the hottest heatwave ever for Melbourne, and the last time we had a similar one was 2009. Generally the temps average out more around the 80-90 mark, with some cooler day and some hotter days.

In the fiords of South Island -- small ship (70 passengers) and motor boats for excursions in the rivers and shore. Feb 6 - 14. Should I carry my manmade down coat? I would love to leave it in Baltimore but then I think of the cold February winds when we went around Cape Horn in South America and I decide to bring the heavier longer coat. Take it or leave it? My next coat in warmth is a vegan leather jacket that would also accommodate a fleece.

We will also spend a week in the Franz Josef areas before heading to North Island for 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice. Every ounce of space counts on this 35 day trip with 28 days in NZ and 5 days in Tahiti.

:rolleyes:

It can be chilly out in the water of the Sounds. Suggest you wear a sweater and a wind proof jacket. If the weather is fine you can remove by layers and add more if it is colder. One shouldn't need a heavy coat. Your leather jacket with optional fleece should be fine. When travelling around NZ even in summer especially in the South Island one can expect 4 seasons in a day so one should prepare layered clothing that can be added or removed at will. You will find that by doing this you can do away with really heavy coats etc that you may never wear. A good windproof/ water proof jacket however should be amongst the first things packed