Car rental help

bearette

I'm investigating some do it myself options with a rental car. I wanted some personal recommendations for anyone who has rented a car near these ports (not all Greece but majority are). What company do you recommend? I know you don't need a car in Venice but I'm looking at renting a car and day tripping some near by areas. Thanks!

Venice, Italy;Kotor, Montenegro;Corfu, Greece; Crete (Chania), Greece;and Argostoli, Greece.

I really think you will find a car in Venice a hindrance more than a help unless you intend not going into Venice at all.

We went to Crete last year and hired from The Best car hire and in Montenegro from Sixt. These were both land holidays.

It is many years since I have been to Corfu and have never visited Argostoli. If you look on the relevant forums on Tripadvisor there is always lots of information about car hire.

I agree with the Londoner.

Unless you're planning a few days touring elsewhere in Northern Italy pre/post-cruise, a car will do you no good in Venice. Even then, collect it as you leave Venice, return it as you return.

Crete is a big island & yes a car gives you the opportunity to explore.

Can't help with Kotor - and I even had to look up Argostoll on a map :rolleyes:

We usually seek out best prices on good websites, preferably the operator's rather than an agency, then check on independent review sites.

Big names include those you'll know, plus Sixt, Europcar, Autoeurope, & National - all well-known in Europe. But don't overlook well-reviewed local operators - they'll be more amenable to things like no-commitment / no-deposit booking, useful in case for whatever reason your ship doesn't make port.

JB :)

We are doing pre cruise days in Venice so post we will be heading out of Venice, which was why I mentioned day tripping. I'm looking at a flight that leaves either 11 pm or ten am the next day so we thought we could use the car to explore post cruise outside Venice which could also hold luggage. Then stay in Mestre for parking / drop car at the airport depending on price and final air arrangements.

We don't leave until fall so I can't get prices for most places now on cars so I wanted to get an idea of where people recommended having a car and who to look at. I'm not finding much on Argostoli either so it must be a newer port.

Regarding Venice, a car is only of use if you are leaving Venice to somewhere such as Verona. You will find several major rental car companies (like Europcar and Hertz) have offices located in the Piazale Roma (the offices are usually in one of the parking garages) and you can simply use Kayak or another web site to find the best deals. There are even more options out at airport, but that is not nearly as convenient as simply taking the People Mover over to the P. Roma.

As to Greece, over the years we have often found that the best deals (and often the agencies closest to the ports) are smaller local or regional rental car companies. Google is often a great way to start by simply Googling the name of the port and "rental cars" which will usually get you a list (and often a map). Also keep in mind that a majority of European rental cars have a manual shift and you are going to often pay a huge premium for an automatic transmission (if you can even find such a car).

And since you mentioned Venice, we would caution then many US Credit Cards (such as AMEX) specifically exclude Italian rental cars from their CDW insurance plans. There are some cards that do cover Italy...but if you are planning on taking advantage of credit card coverage make sure to check the latest policies before leaving home.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for the tip on car rentals. I happen to have a card that includes Italy and Ireland. This is not my first European trip and my husband drives a manuel car.

I am looking at recommendations of companies people used for good service not just that they are there. I am not adverse to private local companies, used one for Olympia in Greece. Just interested in finding reviews from companies people have used.

We are looking at Verona places outside of Venice for the car. I know Venice is car free.

• 2 weeks later...

We have rented in a number of those ports. Avis, Hertz, Sixt etc.

The issue will be getting a rental location that is convenient. We have rented from Avis and Hertz in Venice (when leaving of course). From Sixt in Dubrovnic and I think Kotor. In Crete it has been Avis for two one week rentals. There is an Avis booth at the ferry terminal in Heraklion (just relocated there from the downtown location).

We have never had any issues renting cars in Europe. Just be aware that they are usually standard transmission.

We have rented in a number of those ports. Avis, Hertz, Sixt etc.

The issue will be getting a rental location that is convenient. We have rented from Avis and Hertz in Venice (when leaving of course). From Sixt in Dubrovnic and I think Kotor. In Crete it has been Avis for two one week rentals. There is an Avis booth at the ferry terminal in Heraklion (just relocated there from the downtown location).

We have never had any issues renting cars in Europe. Just be aware that they are usually standard transmission.

I found a lot about Heraklion but we will be far from their from the research I have done.

I'll just keep checking as some places are not showing availability yet.

We have rented cars on Santorini several times, but always got an early tender and visited local rental companies on the main street and done a deal. We like to be in Oia well before the crowds descend. Last time we had a little Smart car which took a bit of getting used to!:D

Edited by Omega1