Cabin Mate Cannot travel... What Happens Now?

oregoncruisers

My Mom and I are booked for a cruise in January and she recently injured her back and is unsure if she will be able to go as she is likely going to need surgery and PT; we unfortunately had both just made final payment to RCCL and booked our shore excursions. Bad timing!

We purchased trip insurance, so I am sure if she can't go, her doctor will be willing to fill out the forms so she can get her air and cruise fare reimbursed. Her spouse would be able to provide care for her, so I am assuming that would not allow me to get reimbursed. So, what happens now? I assume that since RCCL has already been paid for the whole cabin, they would still allow me to cruise solo; can anyone confirm? Alo, what if someone else wanted to travel with me in her place - my DH or a friend; can her portion of our cabin be transferred to another person? We are about two months out from the cruise date now if that makes a difference.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

At this point, 82 days before your cruise according to your signature, you are NOT yet in any penalty period. You can cancel both of you and get your full fares refunded as long as you do this before the 75 day limit.

If you want to substitute someone else for your Mom, you can also do that as long as you stay on the booking.

You need to read the terms of your specific policy.

Some travel insurance will cover you if your 'traveling companion' cannot go...so even if there is someone else to care for your Mom, if she can't go you might be covered as well.

It all depends on your specific policy.

At this point, 82 days before your cruise according to your signature, you are NOT yet in any penalty period. You can cancel both of you and get your full fares refunded as long as you do this before the 75 day limit.

If you want to substitute someone else for your Mom, you can also do that as long as you stay on the booking.

In addition to the above correct info..I'll just add as a FYI for the OP...it's the date final payment is due to RCI...not the date you chose to make final payment.

This is from an Allianz policy explaining their covered reasons for trip cancellation. Note the plan you purchased may be different so check)

"You or a traveling companion is seriously ill or injured.

Specific requirements:

• The injury, illness or medical condition must be disabling enough

to make a reasonable person delay, cancel or interrupt their trip.

• A doctor must examine you or a traveling companion and advise

you or a traveling companion to cancel or interrupt your trip

before you cancel or interrupt it. If that isn’t possible, a doctor must

examine you within 72 hours of your cancellation or interruption"

So basically, if your traveling companion has to cancel due to an illness you can too as long as those requirements are met. You do not have to be that person's caregiver.

Thanks for the info so far. Our policy is through Allianz, not RCCL.

My post #5....Are you before the final date that is due to RCI...regardless of when you made that final payment :confused:

That's a very important thing to consider regardless of "who" you purchased insurance from.

• 3 weeks later...

Royal should allow you to substitute someone else in the room at no cost. We did it through Celebrity about 2 months before departure last year and were told we could change one person one time.

It is good you have insurance through an outside company though because if it was through Royal, and you took someone else, they would not refund anything.

Call the insurance company. Don't be afraid to do that. The fact that she needs surgery means she likely should not go. The insurance company will send you documents and tell you what to do to fill them out.

To everyone else, in the last year or so, Royal and Celebrity changed their payment due date to be further out, so she may be in penalty period.