Missing Doubtful & Dusky Sounds

TMLAalum

We are seriously considering the Celeb overnight excursion from Dunedin to Milford Sound. However, we will miss the fjords mentioned in this thread title.

I am looking for opinions as to how much we might miss vs. gain by taking this excursion.

Thanks!

We are seriously considering the Celeb overnight excursion from Dunedin to Milford Sound. However, we will miss the fjords mentioned in this thread title.

I am looking for opinions as to how much we might miss vs. gain by taking this excursion.

Thanks!

How do you rejoin the ship at Milford sound??

What happens if it misses the sounds, guess as it is a Celebrity excursion there must be some fall back position.

However to answer the actual question the sounds are spectacular scenery. And unless you've seen them before I'd suggest a not to miss.

The ships do miss the sounds sometimes too due to weather and not being able to get in. What happens if the ship misses them altogether? Where do you rejoin the ship?

They generally know what the weather will be the day before so they cancel the overland tour if the ship can't get in. On one occasion on the NZ to Au run the ship was in Dunedin and the tour set off early , but by mid morning the Captain realised they would not be able to get in to Milford Sound and the bus was called back to the ship.

As far as the tour itself is concerned , all reports I have read , have praised it. Yes , it is an expensive overnight, but if you only pass that way but once its, a great chance. We have not done it from a cruise as we used to holiday at Queenstown every Christmas when we were children.

Queenstown is now an International destination and has become a must do on many itineraries.

How do you rejoin the ship at Milford sound??

What happens if it misses the sounds, guess as it is a Celebrity excursion there must be some fall back position.

However to answer the actual question the sounds are spectacular scenery. And unless you've seen them before I'd suggest a not to miss.

A tourist boat brings you out from the Milford Hotel. In some ways experiencing the size and might of Milford from a small boat is a highlight in itself.