Spencer Ambrose Tours

mcordry

I know many people have asked about this, but I need specific feedback on a specific tour. We will be in St. Lucia in april 2016. We have used Cosol before and loved him but wanted something different. We are looking at the Land Sea and Beach Adventure. Any thoughts or opinions on this specific tour will be appreciated.

I know many people have asked about this, but I need specific feedback on a specific tour. We will be in St. Lucia in april 2016. We have used Cosol before and loved him but wanted something different. We are looking at the Land Sea and Beach Adventure. Any thoughts or opinions on this specific tour will be appreciated.

I am going on the Land, Sea and Beach Adventure in April 2016! I had help in making my decision. You may want to check out this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46833369&posted=1#post46833369

You can scroll up farther on this link to read more and see some great photos.

Good luck!

Edited by tripster

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this tour in May and we LOVED it. We did many great things on our cruise (Snuba, Zip-lining, etc.) and this was my absolute favorite part. The crew is hilarious and made the entire day a blast. You get to skip the long, curvy drive through the island and get to the sites via speedboat instead. The mudbaths were unique and fun, the waterfall was cold but still entertaining, and the beach was great! The snorkeling there was the best out of all the islands we visited. I have heard mixed reviews of the snorkeling there, so I was really surprised by it. I think it must depend on how busy it is. If you won't have many cruise ships in port, you will have very, very good snorkeling. The St. Lucia landscape was just beautiful. It wasn't full of trash like St. Kitts. The lunch was good and the sites on the way back were pretty cool. If you like rum punch, there is plenty. If you don't drink, like us, then there is plenty of pop and water. Really, though, the people there were just the best. I was so pleasantly surprised.

I have some pictures and video from the tour in my vacation video. There is a link to it in my siggy. You can get a little bit of a feel for the tour.

Edited by oliviaik

Quick question on these tours, how long did it take to get a confirmation after booking? Their email says 25-48 hours but I've been waiting 3 days already and have emailed once more asking if we're confirmed...

We had the same issue but believe the problem is our computer/email, which is Comcast/Xfinity. I contacted Spencer Ambrose tours again through the "contact us" on their website. I received notification that evening that not only one, but two confirmation emails had been sent to notify us that we are booked but we never received them. In mid-June, there were automated updates from Microsoft Windows. Long story short, these "updates" caused a lot of computer issues and we also had to swap our modem out for a new one to have internet access, and my husband had to spend several hours resetting everything. My husband also believes that since the confirmation emails are from outside of the US, that Comcast/Xfinity could have them blocked. We've checked our "spam" folder and it's empty. Others on our roll call got their confirmation email within 24 hours. We were the only ones, so it's not them, it's this "lovely" (sarcasm) computer of ours. LOL!!! Anyway, I contacted them through the website and got everything taken care of. Good luck to you. We went with Spencer Ambrose in 2013 on the "Jalousie Beach Break" and we had the best time we've ever had while on an excursion. This time we're doing the "Land, Sea and Beach Adventure".

Quick question on these tours, how long did it take to get a confirmation after booking? Their email says 25-48 hours but I've been waiting 3 days already and have emailed once more asking if we're confirmed...

Ooops...double post.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 5 months later...
For anyone that has done the Spencer's Land, Sea and Beach - would you recommend taking a change of clothes after the mud baths?

We opted to see the volcano instead of the mud baths, but I believe most who do the mud baths wear their bathing suits underneath clothing. From other reviews I've seen, after the mud baths is an area to wash off. After the mud bath/volcano stop, the next stop (for us anyway) was Toraille Waterfall, which you can get in and go under and the last couple of hours were spent at Jalousie/Sugar Beach. I definitely recommend wearing a bathing suit under clothing, but a change of cloths may not be necessary if you choose the mud baths since you do that in your swimsuit. Hope this helps.

Hi Holly, I was going to email you, but lost your contact. I actually saved part of your review that said to be SURE to book an excursion in St. Lucia, of all islands to do it. So I am taking your advice! We will be in SL for the very lst time in March. I am SUPER EXCITED. I have pretty much decided to book Ambrose. I have looked at his land/sea and the beach break. I am not THAT interested in banana plantation, mud baths, volcanoes...would love to have a beach break but also want to SEE the island. I am pretty much leaning towards the beach break excursion, but see that for only $15 more/pp I can book the LAND excursion. Can you steer me in the right direction? THANKS!!!

Hi Holly, I was going to email you, but lost your contact. I actually saved part of your review that said to be SURE to book an excursion in St. Lucia, of all islands to do it. So I am taking your advice! We will be in SL for the very lst time in March. I am SUPER EXCITED. I have pretty much decided to book Ambrose. I have looked at his land/sea and the beach break. I am not THAT interested in banana plantation, mud baths, volcanoes...would love to have a beach break but also want to SEE the island. I am pretty much leaning towards the beach break excursion, but see that for only $15 more/pp I can book the LAND excursion. Can you steer me in the right direction? THANKS!!!

Hi Karen!

So glad I hopped back on here and saw your question. We really enjoyed the beach break when we did that...that beach is gorgeous and wish I was there right now. :D

On the beach break, you do see more of St. Lucia...it just by sea. On the trip back from the beach to the ship you get the "sea tour" with several stops are made at different points of interests like landmarks, towns, buildings, the great views of the Pitons and they actually go into Marigot Bay.

On the land/sea/beach, they do have the stops you mentioned that you aren't interested in, but from other reviews, most of the tour groups stop at those same places. From my understanding, those are the main sites that are fairly easy to get to for those on a cruise stop (there is a lot more of the island), and they are all around Soufriere. I'm sure there is so much more to see and do in St. Lucia, but with time constraints and terrain to get there and back, it's probably not possible on a cruise stop.

Here are some timelines according to date stamps on my pictures (not detailed with every stop):

Land, Sea and Beach Adventure: We left port at 8:35AM by speedboat arriving in Soufriere at 9:10AM. Transferred from boat to vans (air conditioned) and from there we saw the other sites within about 2 hours time. We transferred back to boat from vans at 11:00AM and headed to Jalousie/Sugar beach, arriving at 11:30AM and were there till 2:00PM, had the "sea tour" on the way back and were back at cruise center at 3:30PM. We had to be onboard by 4:30PM.

Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break: We left port at 8:45AM, had a few stops for photo opportunities (Pitons) and arriving at Jalousie Beach at 9:30AM. We left Jalousie Beach at 2:45PM, had the "sea tour" on the way back, arriving back at the cruise center at 3:45PM. We had to be back on board by 4:30PM.

Hope this helps. :)

Here's our email if you want it. :) dgieh at comcast dot net

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Okay, thanks Holly. I really don't know what to do. I really want to do just the beach break BUT even tho I LOVE beaches, I think being on one for 5 hours when there is so much more to do would make me antsy lol. As far as the land/sea/beach, in retrospect, did you look back and say I am SO GLAD I didn't miss doing that or would it have been "enough" just to do the beach and the sightseeing on the way back to the ship. Also, there is lunch included? Sorry I am stressing so much about this!

Okay, thanks Holly. I really don't know what to do. I really want to do just the beach break BUT even tho I LOVE beaches, I think being on one for 5 hours when there is so much more to do would make me antsy lol. As far as the land/sea/beach, in retrospect, did you look back and say I am SO GLAD I didn't miss doing that or would it have been "enough" just to do the beach and the sightseeing on the way back to the ship. Also, there is lunch included? Sorry I am stressing so much about this!

Lunch: An authentic Creole lunch, served buffet style, is provided. It includes BBQ Chicken (jerk chicken); green banana salad (similar to potato salad), beans and rice, noodles and sauce, green (garden) salad, and taro root. I'll attach a picture of my plate so you can see. This lunch...very, very good. Green banana salad doesn't really sound appetizing, but that was one of my favorites, so don't pass it up just because of the name. There are also unlimited drinks (bottled water, coke, diet coke, Piton Beer, & Rum punch).

On the beach break, lunch is always served on the beach, buffet style. On our last trip when we did the land, sea and beach adventure, we also had the lunch, buffet style, on the beach along with those on the beach break. Sometimes lunch on the land, sea, and beach adventure is served at a restaurant. I don't know if it's the homemade food that is just served at the restaurant or if it's food that is from the restaurant. I only know about this (lunch at restaurant) because I've seen it in other reviews. When we were there, we were the only ship in St. Lucia that day, so if you're on the land, sea, and beach adventure, the size of the tours on particular days could be a factor in whether lunch is at the beach or at the restaurant.

What we liked about the 5 hours at the beach on the beach break was that we had plenty of time to stroll the beach to get pictures, we snorkeled for about an hour and a half, had lunch and a few drinks, time to enjoy relaxing in the loungers, in and out of the water in the swimming area to cool off and chat with others we'd gotten to know on the tour, including Spencer and crew, and we never felt rushed. It was honestly like spending a nice day at a beautiful beach with friends and was just fun kicking back, relaxing and taking in the beautiful scenery.

On the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure, believe it or not, I was really glad to be able to see the volcano. I don't know what it is, but I'm fascinated with volcanoes and I wanted to see that volcano. :) We were only there for 15 or 20 minutes, but that's enough time to see it and also get details and history about it. Off subject, but the next day sailing into St. Kitts I was very happy that it was clear enough to see the island of Montserrat where their Soufriere Hills Volcano has erupted a few times since 1995 and that thing is still spewing smoke - we saw that and it was so cool. Back on subject...Touraille Falls is also very pretty. There is time if you want to walk under it, which I did. The scenery around it, and all of the plants and flowers - beautiful. Also, outside Touraille Falls in a section in the back of the parking area are vendors who have very reasonable prices on authentic goods, not cheap souvenirs that are made in China. They have samples of the homemade spiced rum, which was very good and I bought a smaller bottle. There were also samples of Banana Ketchup. Again, sounds icky, but it's very good. I also bought a bottle of that. There are also wood carvings, homemade soaps, homemade jewelry, etc. The view from the overlook of Petit Piton was beautiful and a great photo op. On this tour, they keep things moving so you don't get bored, and you still get 2 1/2 hours at the beach afterwards.

If you enjoy snorkeling as much as we do, then you may prefer the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break just for the reason that you can do it all (stroll beach, swim, snorkel, lunch, relax and visit) and not feel rushed. Since we've done both tours now and saw some of the other hi-lights this past trip, next time we get back we're doing the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break again.

The lunch that is included:

IMG_9861-1.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thanks a TON Holly! That is exactly what I wanted to know! I am leaning towards the land/sea because it is our lst time there and I don't think we will ever have the opportunity to go back unless we win the lottery or they put St. Lucia on an itinerary of a CCL ship that leaves from either NY or Baltimore! Might as well see it while we can!

Thanks a TON Holly! That is exactly what I wanted to know! I am leaning towards the land/sea because it is our lst time there and I don't think we will ever have the opportunity to go back unless we win the lottery or they put St. Lucia on an itinerary of a CCL ship that leaves from either NY or Baltimore! Might as well see it while we can!

Karen, you are quite welcome. I really think you'll enjoy the land/sea tour and there will still be enough time at the beach to relax without feeling rushed. We love St. Lucia, one of our favorite islands.

do they stop alot for the must sees of the island for photo opportunities?

Are you asking about the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break, Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure, or both?

On the beach break, there were two stops for photo opportunities on the way to the beach and on the sea tour on the return trip, there were several stops for photo opportunities. What we really appreciated was the fact that since people on both sides of the boat were getting pictures, they'd actually turn the boat so everyone could get pictures of the scenery without the tops of the heads of passengers on the other side of the boat. They used to do the land tour from vans or a bus and had other stops, but most of the trip was long, windy roads where there were complaints about motion sickness. Most of the hi-lights are right around Soufriere and now that they go directly there by speedboat, you get their earlier before those sights get too crowded with the other tours and it also allows for 2 1/2 hours compared to an hour at Jalousie/Sugar beach.

On the land/sea/beach adventure, we were taken to Soufriere (about 30 - 45 minutes) by speedboat where we got off and got into the vans. I also want to note that there is a PERFECT opportunity for a great picture at the edge of the parking lot area where we got into the vans. You can't miss it - great view of Petit Piton. I'll attach my pic. There is plenty of time for photo opportunities at each of the stops (volcano or mud baths/scenic overlook of Petit Piton and ocean/Toraille Falls) and from there we were taken back to the speedboat, where we then went directly to the beach (Jalousie/Sugar beach). On the "sea tour" on the return trip, yes, plenty of stops for photo opportunities.

I hope this helps and if you need more specific information, please feel free to ask. BTW, I took about 500 pictures in St. Lucia alone on this past cruise. :D

I got this one from the edge of the parking lot where we got into the vans, one of my favorite pictures.

IMG_9770-1.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Holly, Spencer should hire you as a PR consult/advisor! Thanks for the great information and the awesome pictures! I remember seeing them in your wonderful review, but it's nice to see them once again! I am getting superbly excited!! :D:p;):)

Holly, Spencer should hire you as a PR consult/advisor! Thanks for the great information and the awesome pictures! I remember seeing them in your wonderful review, but it's nice to see them once again! I am getting superbly excited!! :D:p;):)

You are quite welcome and always happy to help by sharing my experiences. Believe me, with cruise critic, reading reviews, and with help from others, we have really been able to get the most out of our cruises for the things we like to see and do, and also found that it is possible to do more than one thing in certain ports. If you have any questions on about any of the other islands you'll be visiting that we've been to, I'd be happy to try to answer. :)

You are quite welcome and always happy to help by sharing my experiences. Believe me, with cruise critic, reading reviews, and with help from others, we have really been able to get the most out of our cruises for the things we like to see and do, and also found that it is possible to do more than one thing in certain ports. If you have any questions on about any of the other islands you'll be visiting that we've been to, I'd be happy to try to answer. :)

Thank you! Actually, this is a JOURNEYS cruise, so we are going to a ton of islands and I am really excited! We always go to either PC, Nassau and Freeport or Grand Turk, Half Moon and Nassau. On the Liberty last January we went to Aruba and Bonaire, but this is the lst time we have been to a bunch of the islands. St. Lucia, St. Maarten where our roll call booked Bernard's Tours and Dominica, Martinique and Antigua. We are also going to Grand Turk, St. Tom and SJ, but have been to those stops before. So I have a lot of research to do, plus we are trying to keep our costs way down, so trying to find the best for less kind of! I realize we will probably never go back to those islands unless we win the lottery, so I really want to experience them!

Wow, thanks, not sure just trying to see what's the best tours to go on as we have St Kitts and Antigua and Barbados as well to plan. So just trying to see what would be the best value for our money in terms of tours and excursions.

Sounds like a great itinerary - been to both St. Kitts and Barbados too and loved both. I'm sure whatever you decide to do, you'll have a great time. And if you can't do everything you want this time, it's a great excuse to book another cruise.

Thank you! Actually, this is a JOURNEYS cruise, so we are going to a ton of islands and I am really excited! We always go to either PC, Nassau and Freeport or Grand Turk, Half Moon and Nassau. On the Liberty last January we went to Aruba and Bonaire, but this is the lst time we have been to a bunch of the islands. St. Lucia, St. Maarten where our roll call booked Bernard's Tours and Dominica, Martinique and Antigua. We are also going to Grand Turk, St. Tom and SJ, but have been to those stops before. So I have a lot of research to do, plus we are trying to keep our costs way down, so trying to find the best for less kind of! I realize we will probably never go back to those islands unless we win the lottery, so I really want to experience them!

That's the March 13 sailing, isn't it? Would you believe that if DH had more vacation time, this was one of the cruises I wanted to do? The other was the 12/9/15 sailing on Sunshine (another Journey cruise). We were in Dominica and Martinique on our honeymoon in 1992 on Carnival's Festival and loved both, but it was so long ago and I only had a film camera, so not much in the way of pictures. I would just love to get back to both as well as see some of the others (Antigua) we haven't been to. I do hope they continue with the Journey's cruises because we'd love to go on one once DH has been in his job long enough to have the extra vacation days. You are going to have a wonderful time! BTW, if we won that Powerball, I'd have booked this sailing. :D

That's the March 13 sailing, isn't it? Would you believe that if DH had more vacation time, this was one of the cruises I wanted to do? The other was the 12/9/15 sailing on Sunshine (another Journey cruise). We were in Dominica and Martinique on our honeymoon in 1992 on Carnival's Festival and loved both, but it was so long ago and I only had a film camera, so not much in the way of pictures. I would just love to get back to both as well as see some of the others (Antigua) we haven't been to. I do hope they continue with the Journey's cruises because we'd love to go on one once DH has been in his job long enough to have the extra vacation days. You are going to have a wonderful time! BTW, if we won that Powerball, I'd have booked this sailing. :D

Oh, nuts, this would have been perfect for you since it sails out of Baltimore, but I am sure there will be others. We have never done such a port intensive cruise except our one and only HI cruise years ago. But there are 2 sea days down and 3 back, so plenty of time to relax and enjoy the ship. Maybe we'll be able to book a Journeys cruise in 2017 with each other! Haven't read too much about Martinique, so I'll have to start doing my homework!

• 3 weeks later...

What an excellect tour! It is quite expensive (100$) but this tour was the the best experience in our cruice. It is pretty cool to go to the Pitons by a speed boat. It might be a hard ride if you have health problems, but a normal people can make it. The costline is really beautiful from the sea and the beach right next to the Pitons is the best I have seen in the Caribbean. Lunch was nothing special but they offer free beer and a rum punch after lunch.

• 2 months later...
I would use Cosol, Ambrose stuck use in a taxi and still charged full price. Worst company I have ever dealt with

Which tour? And why? Did he give you a reason for why you went in a cab rather than boat? Did you have the other inclusions, ie lunch, etc?