Snorkeling Suggestions?

torchd

The g/f and I will be in St. Maarten 9/25 and we want to snorkel.

Is there any company that anyone would recommend to book through? Based on my research it seems Octopus Diving is pretty good, but they seem they are geared mainly for scuba diving....?

Anyone have any input or have used them for snorkeling?

St. Maarten: http://octopusdiving.com/snorkel-tours/private-snorkel-charters/

Thank You

• 1 month later...
The g/f and I will be in St. Maarten 9/25 and we want to snorkel.

Is there any company that anyone would recommend to book through? Based on my research it seems Octopus Diving is pretty good, but they seem they are geared mainly for scuba diving....?

Anyone have any input or have used them for snorkeling?

St. Maarten: http://octopusdiving.com/snorkel-tours/private-snorkel-charters/

Thank You

SXM is not known for either its snorkeling or its diving - just be aware of that - there is some decent snorkeling around Green Cay off of Orient Beach - also around Pinel - but by far better snorkeling is had in Anguilla (which you likely won't have time for from a cruise ship unless it is an overnight stay) - Prickly Pear Island has some lovely snorkeling - and if there when it is open, a nice beach bar too...

We are divers and visiting SXM for a land trip next Feb - have already made reservation to dive with octopus - they are a PADI five store shop which means if they can't find good snorkeling for you, no one can

Any recommendation depends in part on your time in port and what you really are looking for - do you want to do some swimming or not so much.

Octopus does fine snorkel trips but is a little pricey relative to other day sail snorkel trips. If you are comfortable with their pricing, you will do fine there. If you would like a one-third mile swim (one way) from Orient Beach to Green Cay, the snorkeling there is as good as anywhere that is more or less "off beach." If you want a power boat trip you can check out Captain Alan, Captain Bob - Soualiga, Blue Water, any number of boat snorkel trips. My wife enjoys Divi Little Bay as an easy snorkel and easy to go there when off a ship.

We have not been big on Dawn since the Westin came to Dawn and it is the most likely to suffer from poor conditions - although when good conditions there, it is a decent snorkel experience.

At Divi Little Bay, as you face water, snorkeling is along left side, out to where the Tiki Snorkel Hut is and beyond. From beach to Tiki Snorkel Hut is a little less than 400 yards. Usually, conditions are pretty calm. There are things to see as little as 50 yards (or less toward pier) off the beach in the rocks.

How far is Dawn Beach from the cruise ship docks?

Perhaps a 15 minute taxi ride. Dawn sometimes has moderate surf, which some feel makes snorkeling off the beach a no go. We stay at Dawn every year, and sometimes snorkel there, but there really is not that much there. If snorkeling is really important to you, Little Bay or Pinel might be a better idea.

Perhaps a 15 minute taxi ride. Dawn sometimes has moderate surf, which some feel makes snorkeling off the beach a no go. We stay at Dawn every year, and sometimes snorkel there, but there really is not that much there. If snorkeling is really important to you, Little Bay or Pinel might be a better idea.

Where are these beaches located?

I want to snorkel every island and I am having trouble finding companies that snorkel.

Thank you for the information.

Where are these beaches located?

I want to snorkel every island and I am having trouble finding companies that snorkel.

Thank you for the information.

Little Bay is just to the west of Great Bay (the beach in front of Phillipsburg, where your ship docks) - probably a less then ten minute taxi ride from the pier. Pinel is at the far north end if the island - on the French side.

Check out Blue Safari Tours,

They are awesome and do take you to a couple snorkel spots that I found fantastic, Fab and his wife do there best to show everyone a good time.

Could you please post the link for Blue Safari tours? Can you also provide anymore info about this snorkel trip as well?

Thank You

http://www.bluesafarisstmaarten.com/tours.html

We snorkeled at 2 places, lots of fish both places. We stopped at pinel island and had lunch which is included and you order off a menu before you get there. While there you have the opportunity to relax on the beach or swim. I suggest swimming as there are starfish in the water in several areas. We were on the boat with the owners Fab and Kristine, they were wonderful, We also stopped at another small island and fed the iguanas, and just hung out on the beach. Towards the end we went to Maho beach, to watch the airplanes come in. It is definitely different watching in the water as opposed to watching from the beach. They monitor the time very well and get you back to the boat in plenty of time. We had about 1 1/2 hours to shop before we were to be on board. I will try to link my FB photo album of our tour.

https://www.facebook.com/pam.c.collins/media_set?set=a.10155666070385265.589225264&type=3

• 1 month later...