What to do in Kristiansand?

I really wanted to go to the zoo in Kristiansand (Dyreparken) but it's quite far from the cruise terminal and we are now only there from 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM. None of the ship tours interest me at all.

We are there in early August. Is there a beach nearby or something else we should see or do?

I'm amazed how little info there is about Kristiansand. Is it a new port for cruise ships? :confused:

Kristiansand is a neat little town in a beautiful area along the southern coast of Norway. When we were there last summer we took a bus to Hollen and a one hour boat trip through some of the most scenic stretch of islands. We were back in Kristiansand by about noon where we spent some time shopping and sight seeing. Indeed there is a small beach, but keep in mind it is not like Hawaii.

For details you might have a look at http://www.*****.com/Norway2.html

Any way you do it, you will enjoy this port. If you want more information you can contact the tourist office there. Let me know if you want details.

I really recommend you to visit park and Zoo there (even it is quite far away). It is very nice place. Worth visiting

It doesn't open until ten and it will take us at least an hour to get there and back, so it really isn't feasible unfortunately. :(

Kristiansand is a neat little town in a beautiful area along the southern coast of Norway. When we were there last summer we took a bus to Hollen and a one hour boat trip through some of the most scenic stretch of islands. We were back in Kristiansand by about noon where we spent some time shopping and sight seeing. Indeed there is a small beach, but keep in mind it is not like Hawaii.

For details you might have a look at http://www.*****.com/Norway2.html

Any way you do it, you will enjoy this port. If you want more information you can contact the tourist office there. Let me know if you want details.

I have been in contact with the tourist board (you were most helpful a while ago on this same subject, thanks :)).

I'm just surprised that other than your experience, I can't seem to find anyone else's remarks about visiting Kristiansand. :confused:

I have been in contact with the tourist board (you were most helpful a while ago on this same subject, thanks :)).

I'm just surprised that other than your experience, I can't seem to find anyone else's remarks about visiting Kristiansand. :confused:

I wonder if it is only HAL that goes to this little town.

Frankly, I agree with you that to take a ship's tour here (especially a tour of the city) is a waste of time and money.

One more note of caution: if the weather is nice it is pleasant to sit at one of the outdoor cafe/restaurants, but be ware of the food prices! Even a glass of beer was more than $15. We had lunch for, what came to about, $125.

Frankly, I agree with you that to take a ship's tour here (especially a tour of the city) is a waste of time and money.

One more note of caution: if the weather is nice it is pleasant to sit at one of the outdoor cafe/restaurants, but be ware of the food prices! Even a glass of beer was more than $15. We had lunch for, what came to about, $125.

Wow! Thanks so much for that info. I knew Norway was expensive, but that is just ridiculous!! :eek:

We will definitely eat & drink on the ship that day!! ;)

I just now realized that Kristiansand is the only port that we have to tender into (according to the HAL site).

Lair Bear, did you tender into Kristiansand as well? :confused:

(BTW, your website is phenomenal and your information has proven invaluable for many of our upcoming ports this summer! :cool: Thank you very much!)

I just now realized that Kristiansand is the only port that we have to tender into (according to the HAL site).

Lair Bear, did you tender into Kristiansand as well? :confused:

(BTW, your website is phenomenal and your information has proven invaluable for many of our upcoming ports this summer! :cool: Thank you very much!)

We were on the Prinsendam and docked at the main 'terminal'.

But don't be too sure when HAL says 'tender' or 'dock'. On our last cruise we had several changes that were not published until the day before. Including where we were going to disembark in Amsterdam.

Thank you for the nice comments. I am sure you will enjoy your adventures 'on your own'.

• 1 year later...

For details you might have a look at http://www.********.com/Norway2.html

Hello Lair Bear,

We will be going to Kristiansand in May on a HAL cruise. Thank you for the information on Hollen. Where was the local tourist office that you went to? Was that close to the cruise terminal? Is there a website where one can find information on the bus and boat trip?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello,

We, the local tourist office, are in Rådhusgata 6, a ten minute stroll from the cruise harbour. Our website is www.visitkrs.no and we are on Facebook as well. :)

At the cruise harbour there is an information booth that has free maps and information.

Do let us know if you have any queries or need any further information - either on here or through our website.

WELCOME TO KRISTIANSAND !!

• 4 months later...
To Kristiansand Touristinfo; Many thanks for a brilliant short, informative post. All the information we need for this post of call. Looking forward to Tuesday 10th September 2013 on Boudicca.

You are very welcome :)

Please do not hesitate to contact us on info@visitkrs.no should you have any further questions or need any information.

WELCOME TO KRISTIANSAND !

That's the first "warning" or "con" when visiting Norway: "it is expensive!"

Check out this photo showing the MENU at a local, popular restaurant @ Kristiansand -

to have a general idea about the local food & beverages PRICES:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierham/7341052818/in/set-72157630056795854

For details you might have a look at http://www.********.com/Norway2.html

Agreed!

Per your post and the local Tourism Info Bureau, this is the OPTION that we choose as the "core" of our day in this port of call

(outside the obvious - exploring the town of Kristiansand by foot):

Lillesand and Høllen are both lovely places to visit for the day.

And they are both very representative of the region - as you will see the importance of the sea.

*** Visiting Høllen on your own (from Kristiansand) ***

Høllen is just under 20 kilometers west of Kristiansand.

The *bus number 40* will take us to Høllen Brygge (Høllen pier).

Bus ticket cost, one way = 50 NOK/pax

The bus to Høllen departs from Kristiansand that Sunday at: 10:10, 11:10, 12:10, 14:10, and 15:10

And back to Kristiansand from Høllen at: 12:51, 14:51, and 15:51

(more buses after that... but you do not need those times IF you want to make the VOS ship, right?!)

We will BE on the bus leaving Kristiansand at 10:10AM (approx. 25 min ride) to catch the 10:30AM ferry.

On Sunday, September 8th 2013 this is the only boat ride/ ferry that we can take advantage of

(next and last one leaves at 16:35PM and we do NOT want to miss the ship, ok?!)

Note that the POC at the ferry company M/B Høllen confirmed, as per their website too, that

the ferry will NOT leave until the passengers from the 10:10 bus from Kristiansand get off in Høllen:

"To your information we always await for this bus from Kristiansand before departure, so you will make it.

The bus stop is on the quay, and you will see the ferry boat from the bus."

http://www.xn--hllenbtruter-ycb4x.no/index.php/bat-ruter

The ferry ride = 75 minutes trip; cost: 100 NOK/pax (only 50 NOK for senior citizens)

Recommendation (received from few experienced locals):

"My personal opinion is that the best option for you would be to go to Høllen by bus and

then catch the ferry before returning by bus.

The ferry ride in Høllen is lovely regardless of what day of the week it is.

As I mentioned, there are seating indoor as well if the weather is not cooperating.

There are lovely things to do in Høllen... don't miss a walk down Høllegata -

a quaint street with picturesque white timber houses a stroll from the pier.

There is also a gentleman selling fresh crabs from his boat at the dock -

and again, a stroll with an ice cream in hand is always good.

(It does seem strange I know, but Norwegians are actually one of the biggest consumers of ice cream in the world,

only beaten by the Kiwis I think)"

***** Other times of the year, one can go to Lillesand by bus -- from Kristiansand (DIY)

The bus runs approximately every hour, 5 minutes after the hour - from the Bus Terminal in Kristiansand

(similar schedule for the return trip to Kristiansand).

One bus ticket, one way, costs around 50 NOK/pax.

The bus trip to Lillesand is around 35 minutes.

However, please note that for the final destination Lillesand, you may need to change buses

and take the connecting bus from the main road, E18 - kind of a Highway -

down to the centre of Lillesand town) .

Word of advice (received from an experienced local person):

"Going to Lillesand on a Sunday in September is not the same as a Saturday in July,

the shops will be closed and the Marina will not be bustling with people...

Lillesand is a lovely, lovely town but best enjoyed at the height of summer on a day

when the shops and galleries are open (in my opinion) ."

Domkirka - http://kristiansanddomkirke.no/

The cathedral in Kristiansand is not open for guided tours on Sundays (because there are services performed inside).

However, the Oddernes Church may possibly receive visitors if scheduled first.

So feel free to contact them directly and check - if interested:

oddernes.menighet@kristiansand.kommune.no

If you are planning more than 2 bus trips while in this port of call, please consider buying the 24 hour ticket (http://www.akt.no/english) –

for 100 NOK the ticket allows you to travel unlimited ONLY around the Kristiansand region

within a 24 hour range from when the ticket is validated.

The ticket may be purchased on the bus, at the customer service center or in the online shop.

However, this "day pass" can NOT be used to get you to Lillesand by bus!

The Zoo @ Kristiansand is a popular attraction and can be EASILY done on your own!

Kristiansand Dyrepark/ Zoo, Certificate of Excellence 2013 - www.dyreparken.no

During the SUMMER season, one will need to get into the 01 or M1 bus at the Bus Terminal close to the Pier

(those buses are running every 15 min) and get off at the Quality Inn stop (20-30 min ride).

Bus ticket price is 38 NOK each way.

However, on our day in this port of call - a Sunday in September 2013 -

those options are OUT as none of the two buses will be operating that day.

Do not give up!

There IS a bus that can take you directly to the Zoo - TIMEkspressen operates on weekends

please see link below for details/ schedule:

http://www.nettbuss.no/rutetilbud/ekspressbuss/timekspressen/linje-5-arendal--kristiansand#close

Note that the starting point for this bus is Kristiansand –

TIMEkspressen bus departs from Rutebilstasjonen (which is the bus station).

Entrance cost to Dyrepark (zoo only, NOT including the Water park) is 299 NOK/adult during the summer season.

However, starting September 2nd 2013, the admission fee will be only 189 NOK/adult

(Zoo only rather than the "combo package" with the water park that's more expensive):

http://www.dyreparken.no/tiderogpriser/

An interesting place to visit for foreign visitors is the Nordisk villmark (Nordic wildlife) where you walk on

elevated walkways around the moose, wolves, lynx and wolverines.

The zoo has presentations done daily in the different sections

(lions at 12:15 and the Nordic wildlife at 1:00 p.m. to name a few).

It is worth checking the timings of the presentations to make the most of your day there.

The presentations may only be in Norwegian, so you might want to check that directly at the zoo.

Edited by daliflor

That's the first "warning" or "con" when visiting Norway: "it is expensive!"

Check out this photo showing the MENU at a local, popular restaurant @ Kristiansand -

to have a general idea about the local food & beverages PRICES:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierham/7341052818/in/set-72157630056795854

First of all - great to see you are all doing a lot of research before coming here.

If you want to have a look at the ships calling in Kristiansand, please have a look at http://www.kristiansandhavn.no/Aktivitet-i-havna/Cruiseterminalen/Oversikt-over-Cruiseanlop/~/media/Documents/Cruiseanlop/Anløpsliste%20for%20Cruise%202013.ashx

Please do not hesitate to contact us at Visit Kristiansand if you need any information or have any questions - www-visitkrs.no

Kind regards,

Kristiansand Tourist Office

• 9 months later...
The Zoo @ Kristiansand is a popular attraction and can be EASILY done on your own!

Kristiansand Dyrepark/ Zoo, Certificate of Excellence 2013 - www.dyreparken.no

During the SUMMER season, one will need to get into the 01 or M1 bus at the Bus Terminal close to the Pier

(those buses are running every 15 min) and get off at the Quality Inn stop (20-30 min ride).

Bus ticket price is 38 NOK each way.

However, on our day in this port of call - a Sunday in September 2013 -

those options are OUT as none of the two buses will be operating that day.

Do not give up!

There IS a bus that can take you directly to the Zoo - TIMEkspressen operates on weekends

please see link below for details/ schedule:

http://www.nettbuss.no/rutetilbud/ekspressbuss/timekspressen/linje-5-arendal--kristiansand#close

Note that the starting point for this bus is Kristiansand –

TIMEkspressen bus departs from Rutebilstasjonen (which is the bus station).

Entrance cost to Dyrepark (zoo only, NOT including the Water park) is 299 NOK/adult during the summer season.

However, starting September 2nd 2013, the admission fee will be only 189 NOK/adult

(Zoo only rather than the "combo package" with the water park that's more expensive):

http://www.dyreparken.no/tiderogpriser/

An interesting place to visit for foreign visitors is the Nordisk villmark (Nordic wildlife) where you walk on

elevated walkways around the moose, wolves, lynx and wolverines.

The zoo has presentations done daily in the different sections

(lions at 12:15 and the Nordic wildlife at 1:00 p.m. to name a few).

It is worth checking the timings of the presentations to make the most of your day there.

The presentations may only be in Norwegian, so you might want to check that directly at the zoo.

Can anyone advise on how much a taxi would cost to the zoo :)

We would like to go to Hollen for the boat ride. I see we need to take a bus first where do we get the bus is it close by the pier and what number is the bus we need to take? How long is the bus ride to Hollen? Want to be sure we have time to do this don't want to miss the ship!

We are in port 8:00am to 5:00pm on a Thursday. We will be on the Royal Princess cruise ship.

Thanks for any information you can give us.

Betty

We visited Kristiansand last year and after doing a little research found a very special little museum within walking distance of the cruise-port.

It is the Gestapo Museum and whilst I went for my husband who is very interested in WW11 hisory I found myself captivated by the story of the people of Norway and what they went through during that time.

Well worth a visit.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190492-d2232870-Reviews-Stiftelsen_Arkivet_Gestapos_Hovedkvarter-Kristiansand_Vest_Agder_Southern_Norway.html

The excursions on our Regent cruise in July (especially the Kristiansand on foot tour) should give you an idea of what to do.

KRISTIANSAND, NORWAY

Duration: 4.50 Hrs

KRS-007 LILLESAND BY LAND & SEA

Tour Price:

July Date:

Behold the beauty of southern Norway’s coastline while cruising the island-dotted sea, and then enjoy a leisurely drive through the idyllic countryside to

Lillesand.

After departing from the pier, you will enjoy a panoramic sightseeing tour through Kristiansand, driving by the Christianholms Fortress and the old town called “Posebyen” where small narrow streets are lined with white painted wooden houses, typical for southern Norway. Then, drive along the residential areas of Kuholmen and Lund where some of the most expensive housing of Kristiansand is to be found.

Arriving in the town of Marvika, you’ll board the sailing ship SS Christiansand a boat and cruise into the Skagerrak Sea, a waterway that separates Norway

from the Jutland peninsula of Denmark. You can expect to see seabirds flying overhead, picturesque harbor towns tucked into protective coves, and plenty of

fishing boats heading to and from the mainland. During your cruise, you will pass several large islands and smaller rock-rimmed islands inhabited only by

wildlife. The perspective of the sea offers a panoramic view of the area’s topography and an understanding of why Kristiansand made a natural choice for a harbor.

Returning to Marvika, you will disembark from the boat and begin the second leg of your excursion by coach. As you drive northeast, the beauty of the land

unfolds as you pass countless deep-blue lakes and drive through a number of tunnels and fertile valleys on the way to immaculately kept Lillesand.

This town of colorfully painted wooden houses is particularly vibrant during the summer, when vacationers come to browse its boutique shops and enjoy the

carefree atmosphere. You will have the choice of taking a guided walk or having free time to explore on your own and indulge yourself in the charms of

Lillesand. There are plenty of things to see and perhaps enjoy a snack in one of the many waterfront restaurants. Afterwards, you will return to Kristiansand

via the old highway which takes you through lush forest and offers up a splendid view of the Norwegian landscape.

KRS-001 HOLLEN, SOGNE & THE VEST AGDER OPEN AIR MUSEUM

Tour Price:

date:

Experience Kristiansand and the charming Vest-Agder Open Air Museum on this half-day tour.

Departing the pier by coach, you will begin with a scenic drive through the city center of Kristiansand. This capital of the South was founded in the 17th

century by King Christian IV, King of Denmark and Norway and the old town center is a good representation of the city's character. Along your route, you will marvel at the strict right-angled streets and typical architecture, which combines charming wooden houses and thoroughly modern buildings.

Your first stop is at the fascinating Vest-Agder Open Air Museum, where you can see approximately 30 homes that were relocated to the grounds of the

Museum. The Museum has been strategically divided into four sections so that visitors can gain a good insight into the various districts of the county. During

your guided visit, special attention will be given to a variety of old farmhouses from the Stesdal area, as well as the 11 homes located on Bygaden, the town

street.

Re-boarding your coach, you will next travel to Sogne, where you will enjoy a walk through Hollen, also known as the fishermen's street. Following your stroll, you will have the opportunity to visit the Sogne Old Church, where the interior is richly adorned with renaissance decorations that date from the 17th century, as well as baroque paintings from the 18th century.

Next, travel along the coastal road as you make your way back to the pier, taking advantage of the chance to admire the idyllic local summer-houses, where many Norwegian families spend their vacations.

KRS-002 SETESDAL MINERAL PARK

Tour Price: $

July Date:

Marvel at nature's creations of precious minerals in this tour that visits the unique Setesdal Mineral Park.

Kristiansand is the most important town in the south of Norway, founded in the 17th century by King Christian IV, King of Denmark and Norway. Your tour

begins with a drive through the city center, which will give you the opportunity to marvel at the unique layout of the Quadrature, the name given the town

center because of its right-angled streets, as well as viewing the many charming, typical white wooden houses that can be seen in this area.

Leaving the city behind, you will head north towards Evje, which lies at the entrance of the Setesdal valley. During your approximately 1-hour drive, you will be treated to views of the beautiful scenery, wood clad hills, small lakes and farmland that is typical to the area. At the end of your drive, you will find yourself

in Hornnes, where the Setesdal Mineral Park is located. This bedrock in Southern Norway consists of an impressive array of over 100 different minerals. The Park is situated in a lovely setting on a peninsula at the river Otra, and has a unique tunnel scheme to display the many minerals found in the area, such as amethyst, topaz, and rock crystal. The tunnels have been opened to house a large museum with various exhibitions of the minerals. In order to maintain proper humidity and temperature levels and to not damage the minerals, the museum is kept at a constant temperature of 66F throughout the year.

Enjoy time to stroll through the park and admire the exhibitions inside the museum before rejoining your coach for the drive back to the pier in Kristiansand, where your tour concludes.

KRS-005 OLD KRISTIANSAND & THE CANNON MUSEUM

Date:

Kristiansand, the capital of the Norway's south, has approximately 77,000 inhabitants. The town celebrated its 350-year jubilee in 1991. Founded in the 17th

century by King Christian IV of Denmark and Norway, the old part of the town brims with character. Its streets are strictly at right angles, called kvadraturen in Norwegian.

Take a guided walk through Posebyen,the oldest part of the city, which remained intact after a huge fire devastated much of Kristiansand in 1892. This

quarter consists mainly of modest, white-painted, wooden houses built for the working class. These lovingly kept houses are very popular and in use today

for residences, small businesses and shops.

Continue to Møvik to visit the Kristiansand Cannon Museum at the Vara Battery. Following the German invasion of Norway in the spring of 1940, construction of a large number of artillery installations began along the coast, including the Vara Battery. A similar installation was constructed in Denmark's Jutland and together they were meant to guard the Skagerak Ocean between the two countries and the shipping lane to Kattegat and the Baltic.

After World War II and into the 1950s, the fort played a significant role in Norwegian coastal defense. The battery is now operated as a military history

museum and houses the only completely intact 38-cm gun remaining in the world. The Kruppcannon, one of the largest ever built, weighs 337 tons and

boasts a range of 35 miles. The tour also includes a visit to the bunkers beneath the cannon with interesting exhibits.

KRS-006 RIB ADVENTURE & HIKE

Date:

Cruise a Rigid Inflatable Boat along the picturesque coastline of southern Norway to Ny Hellesund for a walking tour of a harbor where the Germans built a fort in World War II.

After a short walk from the pier, you will board an RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) and suit up in goggles and special clothing that’s ideal for an open-air boat ride.

Before long, you will begin cruising west, threading past numerous islands off Norway’s southernmost shoreline.

The inspiring sights include historical lighthouses perched on the rocky coast and vast stretches of the Skagerrak Sea, which separates Norway from the

Jutland peninsula of Denmark. You can also expect to see seabirds flying overhead, picturesque harbor towns tucked into protective coves, and forested

mountains rising from the sea. This part of Norway has been inhabited since the glaciers retreated about 10,000 years ago, and archaeologists have

uncovered numerous traces of these settlements.

In time, you will disembark in Ny Hellesund, a significant harbor for sailing ships in the 17th century. It’s here that the walking portion of your tour begins,among the town’s summer residences and charming shops. There is also a partially restored fortress, evidence of the German occupation of Norway during World War II. Once known as “Little Gibraltar,” this fortified area of bunkers and buildings housed hundreds of soldiers and guarded the shoreline with cannons.

Following your guided walk through Ny Hellesund, you will re-board your RIB boat and cruise back to Kristiansand, following a different coastal route in hopes of finding some nice waves!

KRS-004 EXPLORE KRISTIANSAND ON FOOT

Tour Price:

Date:

Explore Kristiansand, the most important town in the south of Norway, as you stroll through its charming streets on this walking tour.

Meeting your guide at the pier, you will set-off to discover the multitude of charms featured in the unique Posebyen, or Old Town area of the city. This historic part of Kristiansand is very characteristic, with its strict right-angled streets that have led to it being called the Quadrature. Here, in the center of town - which is also a popular residential area, you will find the largest collection of low, wooden houses in Northern Europe. Due to its historical and architectural value, this area has even earned special listed status.

Following a thoroughly enjoyable time spent discovering the colorful atmosphere of Kristiansand, your guide will escort you back to the ship where your tour concludes.