Alaska By Rv...has Anyone Done This??

Froggy615

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess on June 24th,2006 and we are planning a 7 days on our own land trip prior to the cruise. We have booked hotels already but, after meeting someone on these boards who are doing the same thing and using an RV, my hubby wants to try it.

Just wandering how you liked it, what reputable companies you know of, and did it work out well for you?

We didn't want to be limited with a hotel room by always having to keep within driving distance to come back each night and this way we would be able to spend a couple of nights near Denali instead of trying to do a daily driving trip back and forth from Anchorage. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Annetta

Also, which port does the Princess disembark at in Vancouver? Thanks again!!!

My husband, his brother and an Uncle took a three week trip in an RV to Alaska several years ago. They loved every minute of it, and saw many wildlife and met a lot of people along the way. They drove up the Alcan Hwy. from Washington state in a privately owned RV, so we have no info about rentals and such. Just the memories of a wonderful time spent together doing only what they wanted to do, and having everything at their fingertips right in the RV.

Princess uses Canada Place in Vancouver.

As to "back and forth" daily trip to Denali from Anchorage...you would not want to do a round trip like that in one day....much too long. The RV could be a fun and flexible way to see the country.

We rented a motorhome last Sept from Great Alaskan Holidays for 10 days post cruise. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The company was easy to work with. They supply pretty much everything you need. One thing to check into when you start researching RV rentals are the hidden costs. Some of them have lower up front fees, but then charge you a cleaning fee, add'l costs for folding chairs, linens etc. Great Alaskan Holidays was all inclusive--there were no additional fees. Years ago we also used Compact RV Rentals out of Anchorage and rented a small truck and camper. We had no complaints with that company either.

The only campground reservations we made were for Denali because we didn't want to risk not getting one and my DH wanted to stay at a campground inside the park.

The rest of the time, we stayed wherever we wanted each night and it allowed us the flexibility to see or do whatever we found interesting each day.

We are campers anyway, so the motorhome wasn't a scary thing. Great Alaskan Holidays has you watch a video about how to operate the coach and then they also have a pretty good manual that they leave in the motorhome for you with instructions if you aren't familiar.

To me, a motorhome has the same benefit as a cruise ship as far as you don't have to pack and unpack all the time to see different places. So much time is wasted checking in and out of hotels and packing and unpacking your stuff.

I definitely recommend getting a Milepost if you're going the RV route. Actually, even if you are driving yourself between hotels. There is so much info there as far as sights to see along the way, gas stations, stores, banks, scenic turnouts on the highway etc.

Lori

We took our own RV to Alaska, driving over 9,000 miles, in 3 months. We drove up from Seattle, went 65 miles above the Arctic Circle, visited every major city (and some not so major like Chicken and Tok!). Took the Alaska Marine Ferry back. Alaska is VERY easy to drive/camp in. We only spent a few nights in campgrounds but a lot in Fred Meyer, WalMart, Sam's Club,Elks Clubs, and roadside pulloffs. Go for it! Just keep the Milepost on your lap with a highlighter!

• 1 month later...

Other than Denali, with Anchorage and Seward being our other area to stop at in June, how likely are we to find spots without reservations. I have heard both, get reservations and not. Most places have a 48 hour cancellation policy so that limits our flexibility, but we have one passenger with medical issues and we may need electricity at least some of the nights.

Thanks.

Ann

We flew up a few years ago, rented an RV (wouldn't recommend that company) and LOVED it. It was wonderful to never unpack, be flexible, and save money cooking our meals.

This coming year we too are flying up and spending a week in an RV before our cruise. After lots of research here, on http://www.rv.net/forums and studying all the rental companies charges (I even did spreadsheets) we have reserved a 32S through Great Alaskan Holidays.

I will be making reservations for Denali when they start taking them December 1 and at Russian River National Forest Campground at Cooper Landing (about the same date). You don't need a reservation at Seward which, by the way we enjoyed so much--beautiful scenery, boats and ships coming and going and the Kenai Fiords Cruise.

I'd make your RV reservations soon.

We flew up a few years ago, rented an RV (wouldn't recommend that company) and LOVED it. It was wonderful to never unpack, be flexible, and save money cooking our meals.

This coming year we too are flying up and spending a week in an RV before our cruise. After lots of research here, on www.rv.net/forums and studying all the rental companies charges (I even did spreadsheets) we have reserved a 32S through Great Alaskan Holidays.

I will be making reservations for Denali when they start taking them December 1 and at Russian River National Forest Campground at Cooper Landing (about the same date). You don't need a reservation at Seward which, by the way we enjoyed so much--beautiful scenery, boats and ships coming and going and the Kenai Fiords Cruise.

I'd make your RV reservations soon.

Where did you stay in Seward? Did you stay anywhere near Anchorage that you would recommend? What is the best place near Denali?

Thanks.

My parents did a few month trek through Alaska with their own coach last May. The campground they stayed in Seward overlooked the cruise ships. They also did Denali, Anchorage and all the other areas. If you want to email me.. I'll send you my dad's email address and I'm sure he'd tell you which campgrounds they used. booboo4031@yahoo.com

Diane

I also have rented an RV in Alaska, as for Seward, it is very difficult to get a spot downtown, if you do not arrive early in the day. They make take reservations- if so a must. Outside of Anchorage is Eagle River State Park, great location, also Walmarts, have free "camping".

In Denali Park Reily Creek althrough crowded I thought was great again the location was excellent with the availability of the park shuttles if needed.

A very important consideration with any RV rental is to verify insurance. Great Alaskan Holiday includes $1000 deductable, which doesn't take long to add up. They know EVERY feature about their RV's and will quickly charge you for chipped glass, bend door stoop etc. It is worthwhile to purchase the extra insurance. My auto insurance did not cover RV's nor did the charge cards insurance waivers.

We were in Seward in mid July and never saw it full. The spaces on the front row (closest to the water) filled by mid day but the next morning you just move into a spot vacated by those who leave early. You are not assigned a site so it's no big deal.

In Denali, we'll stay at the main national park campground at the entrance--Reilly Creek c.g. They start taking reservations Dec. 1.

If you want to do any fishing on the Kenai and Russian Rivers, the Russian River National Forest c.g. is one of the best we saw anywhere and they do take reservations, starting November 14.

The only campground in Anchorage is 15 miles north of town. I can't figure out why there aren't more, especially now that the stores have stopped letting them use their parking lots. You'll probably need to camp in Anchorage the night before you turn in your RV.

Wow, Froggy615 I thought I had written your post. We are also going to be on the Sapphire on June 24 and I had just mentioned to my DH that we should check into the motorhomes. I did a price comparison and it comes out to about the same as staying at the Kenai Princess including campsite fees, gas and rental.

How are you planning on getting to Whittier on Saturday?

We live in the Interior and have an RV, we use it as much as possible every summer... It is a wonderful way to see the State! :)

In Seward we enjoy staying at Miller's Landing. It's a rustic RV campground, you can get a site in the woods or a site along the beach. It's a bit of an interesting drive... it's a couple miles south of town (past the Sea Life Center), down a gravel road, toward Lowell Point.

http://millerslandingak.com/

There actually are a few RV campgrounds in Anchorage. We like to stay at Anchorage RV Park. This is a much more developed campground, on the North side of Anchorage, just off the Glenn Hwy, next to Elmendorf Air Force Base.

http://www.alaskan.com/~snotrek/anchrv/rv_camping.htm

Both of these are very popular campgrounds. I don't think we've ever stayed at either one when they weren't completely full. I would definitely get reservations.

Have a great time!!

We rented an RV this past summer from Great Alaskan Highways and it was great.We had a 2006 Rv with less than 5000 miles on it. We rarely stayed in campgrounds but in Seward and Homer. We loved the city campground in Seward. You were in the middle of everything and could watch the sea lions, otters and cruise ships go by in the evening. You can walk to almost everywhere in town. One of the great things about renting an RV in Alaska is that you are not always near motels or resturants this way you take food and lodging with you. Also at Great Alaskan Highways you can spend the last night in their parking lot. That worked great for us. We spent the day in Anchorage and stopped at their lot at about 9PM.

Your info has been wonderful!!! Thanks for taking the time to fill me in on some different options that I hadn't thought of.

Stephv 710, I seen that you are on the same cruise....do you guys know your cabin yet....are you traveling with kids?, fill me in!!! We are actually going to Whittier on Friday by Alaska RR and staying at the Inn at Whittier. They said they are located right next to the pier and we can see our ship come in. We are sooooo ready!!!:D

Eileen G...thanks so much for the idea of staying at the Great Alaskan Holiday parking lot the night before...GREAT IDEA!!! Best wishes to you all and again, thanks:D Annetta

Hi Annetta,

We do have our cabin.....C512. Wanted a balcony on the port side so we hand picked our cabin. It's my DH and I cruising for the first time for our 25th anniversary. We are coming in to Anchorage 5 days early to see the Kenai Penninsula and do some fishing. By then I'll be SO ready to be pampered on a cruise! I'm rethinking the RV....I think if we had more time it would be great, but with only five days, we might just go with our original plan of the Kenai Princess.

How about you? Do you have a cabin yet? Who will be traveling with you?

I can hardly wait....I think we picked a great ship and itinerary!

Hi Annetta,

We do have our cabin.....C512. Wanted a balcony on the port side so we hand picked our cabin. It's my DH and I cruising for the first time for our 25th anniversary. We are coming in to Anchorage 5 days early to see the Kenai Penninsula and do some fishing. By then I'll be SO ready to be pampered on a cruise! I'm rethinking the RV....I think if we had more time it would be great, but with only five days, we might just go with our original plan of the Kenai Princess.

How about you? Do you have a cabin yet? Who will be traveling with you?

I can hardly wait....I think we picked a great ship and itinerary!

Stephv,

We also have our cabin, E728. We also wanted a balcony on the port side and I read on here that this was a great cabin. We worked with an online TA and secured a price that we could live with. We are also traveling with our 3 teenage boys, 19,17,16. They are staying in an inside cabin on the same deck. We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary. We are getting into Anchorage the Saturday before sailing, grabbing our RV and heading to Seward and Homer. My hubby is really excited about the fishing and we have never done an RV before so that will really be fun. Also looking forward to the pampering for the following week. If you want to email me, please feel free. veres@madisontelco.com

I have been also corresponding with someone else I met on here that is on our cruise. It will be fun already knowing people on board. Actually, she is the person who told me about the RVing and we decided to do that. We had already booked our hotels and all, and then changed it. Well, take care and looking forward to hearing from you. Annetta

Wow, Froggy615 I thought I had written your post. We are also going to be on the Sapphire on June 24 and I had just mentioned to my DH that we should check into the motorhomes. I did a price comparison and it comes out to about the same as staying at the Kenai Princess including campsite fees, gas and rental.

How are you planning on getting to Whittier on Saturday?

I am the person Annetta has been talking to who is also on the Sapphire and doing the RV thing. We are arriving the Friday before and will have the RV through the following Friday. We are doing Denali and Seward. We are taking the train to Whittier. We are returning the RV the day before since I don't want the stress of returning it and catching a 10am train.

We are just down the hall from you in C302 (my parents) and C250( the 4 of us.)

Talk to you soon.

Archived