Inside or Oceanview

xpromise1thingx

So it's my first time posting on the family board, but I've been stalking it for some time now. My fiance and I will be getting married on the Glory next January, and our son will be 16 months when we sail. We are currently booked for an inside cabin, but I have been thinking about nap time and am wondering how that will work. Now, I wish that we would be able to get a balcony, but that just isn't in our budget right now. I'm trying to decide if the oceanview would even make any difference. My fear is that he wouldn't sleep because the only other place in the room for me to sit would pretty much be on the bed with him (we bedshare). I thought that maybe the oceanview would be good, because I could sit on the couch while he naps on the bed.

I am probably over thinking this, but does anyone have experience with both? Was one better than the other when it came to naps? I suppose with an inside I could sit at the vanity, but if he takes a long nap that seems uncomfortable. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

You will have a sofa or chair in either type of cabin. Having a balcony would give you someplace "to be", but if you can't swing it, you can't! There are other places to sit besides the bed!

Bring a stroller...many kids will nap there, and you can continue your day!

Edited by cb at sea

As a family we're cruising for the first time with our grandson (17 mos. old)..and opted to book him and parents into an OV rather than an inside. They don't want a balcony for his first cruise)..We're thinking at least a window to enjoy when he's napping rather than sitting in basically a dark walkin closet...Luckily the price difference was very small.

I'd save the money and do inside. We did inside last May when my son was 25 months. He was so tired from doing so much that naps were never a problem. Half the time I was so tired that I napped with him! The other half I waited until he was sleeping and would turn the tv on to watch a movie or read a book. DH & I took turns with who stayed with him & who roamed the ship (usually with my 3 yr old daughter).

My first cruise with my toddlers I brought a bunch of books to read during naps, but I ended up discovering the luxury of napping at the same time. In any case, an inside is absolutely fine. You could put him on one side of the bed and put a pillow wall between you. Also, there will be three beds in the room, so you could ask the steward to have the pullman pulled down for you to use while he naps. We've had all kinds of rooms, and having an inside has never bothered us at all.

Best,

Mia

We had an ocean view just once, and found it to be a waste of money. If I don't have enough for a balcony, then I do an inside cabin. Invest in a good portable reading light (Mighty Bright LED) and take turns with nap duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you traveling with anyone else? We went with my parents, they had a balcony across from our inside room. We brought our video monitor and it worked across the hall in their room so we were able to watch the baby sleep while being in a different room but not far away. Some people might not agree with it but it worked great for keeping nap and night time schedules. The baby slept great in an inside too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Seriously- I would leave your toddler at home. It's your honeymoon and you are going to be really limited and are planning the cruise around the child. You talked about budget- you could save money by not taking a third person. This age is really not all the fun to travel with IMO.

This is just motherly advise and I understand if you can't leave the child at home. Sometimes this isn't an option.

In any event- Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

Seriously- I would leave your toddler at home. It's your honeymoon and you are going to be really limited and are planning the cruise around the child. You talked about budget- you could save money by not taking a third person. This age is really not all the fun to travel with IMO.

This is just motherly advise and I understand if you can't leave the child at home. Sometimes this isn't an option.

In any event- Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

I always think it's funny when people throw this advice out there when someone has already stated that they are bringing their child. I want my son to be at my wedding, and he will be our ringbearer. We will be travelling with 30 other guests, so if we do want a moment alone I know that at least one of his 8 grandparents will be willing to watch him. Also, I plan my entire life around my son, so planning the cruise around him will not be any different.

For everyone else, thank you so much for the advice. We will probably stick with the inside. I forgot that we had a pullman that I can use. I will also get a reading light, what a great idea! Thanks again!

Since you're traveling in a group I am positive that someone (probably a grandparent) will have a balcony cabin and it would be a wonderful opportunity for them to babysit while they (or you) read on the deck.

We are traveling with our baby and our grandbaby's......We have an extended balcony and grandpa has already designated himself as afternoon babysitter (he hardly ever leaves the deck during the day.....it's his absolute FAVORITE spot!!)

I also really like the stroller idea. There are surprisingly MANY wonderful, out-of-the way abandoned spots on deck (even with 3000+ people); quiet, peaceful spots in the sun or shade where you could both relax and baby could sleep while you work on your tan or read a book.

Find these spots by talking to others here on cruise critic before you sale and look closely at the deck plans; no real reason (if he's exhausted and a good sleeper) that he couldn't sleep in the stroller in a quiet spot.

My daughter took her first cruise at 16 months and the stroller was the best thing we brought!! She napped in it just about every day. Stroll around the ship a bit and then she would fall asleep. Then I would just grab a shady spot on deck and let her take her nap in the fresh air! :)

Another tip bring sippy cups and a small dish soap and you can wash them in your cabin. They don't have kids cups really on board. But they will fill up your sippy cup in the dining room.

Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

P.s. little ones are like celebrities on board :) especially that little. The staff just love them! We took our daughter around on the last day to say her "goodbyes" to all her favorite cruise staff. I think we have pictures of her with about 10 of them. They all knew her by name and would always make her laugh and smile. It's still fun to show her those pictures now (she is 5) and tell her how popular she was on her first cruise!

P.s. little ones are like celebrities on board :) especially that little. The staff just love them! We took our daughter around on the last day to say her "goodbyes" to all her favorite cruise staff. I think we have pictures of her with about 10 of them. They all knew her by name and would always make her laugh and smile. It's still fun to show her those pictures now (she is 5) and tell her how popular she was on her first cruise!

That's so cute :) I know my son will love it, and I am just happy that I will remember what a fun time it was. Also, as far as your other post, we are going to try to teach him to drink from a straw by then. If he still doesn't get it then we will definitely be bringing sippy cups. We might even bring one just for throwing in the bag while we walk around the ship. Thanks for the idea.

Oh yes I bring the take and toss straw cups with the lid and straws now. But I mean they only have adult cups. So I still bring a few cups for my girls (age 5 & 3) with lids just to not have to worry about spills. Especially in the dining room!