is there a beach you can snorkel from, that isn't an excursion?

sardam

Are there any beaches you can snorkel from that we wouldn't have to pay for an excursion? Maybe just a taxi ride or something. We are bringing our sons (7 years old) and will be snorkelling the day before on an excursion but were thinking of just doing a beach day in Cozumel and could bring our snorkelling gear along since we have it. Thanks

The Money Bar - only about a $9 cab (for up to 4 in the cab!) ride away, great snorkeling and swimming right off shore (you enter the water via steps), plus a sandy area for sunning and relaxing, good facilities, lockers, great food/drinks and service, and optional beach massage, etc. Current may be an issue for a 7-year old - I'd check with the staff before getting in the water. We bring our own masks and snorkels and just rent fins and float vests (saves space and weight in our bags). http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

You could also go to Chankanaab -- nice beach area with a separate area for snorkeling, plus you get to see some of the dolphin/sea lion shows, etc. Great snorkeling, about a $10 cab ride, but the $20 admission may put you off. http://www.cozumel-tours.com/chankanaab-park.htm

Good luck! :)

We are doing a Carnival excursion called Snorkeling for Begainers. It is $24 and they take you to a place called Sunset beach a little ways from the dock. After your excursion you can stay at the beach for as long as you want. From what I can see you can walk to Sunset beach in about 10-15 minutes and skip the excursion. There is a dive shop there also.

We have been to Cozumel numerous times and always snorkel either on a boat tour to Palancar Reef or from shore on own own. You pretty much have to choose, do you want a nice sandy beach or decent snorkeling as the better snorkel sites have a rocky shoreline. If your primary goal is good snorkeling, we agree with others who recommended Money Bar.

We love Chankanaab and the place is gorgeous plus there's a lot of things to do there as well (huge beach area in front of the snorkeling, sandy cove beach area, beautiful lagoon, free sea lion show, pool, self-guided walking tour to the replica ruins).

I have 2 reviews in my signature line if you are interested in reading about it and it has tons of pictures too. :)

We were at the Money Bar two days ago..Perfect place to do your own snorkeling..The snorkel tour boats come here..

SANY2615.jpg

upload

SANY2607.jpg

how to do a screen shot

SANY2614.jpg

photo hosting sites

Thanks for posting these pics! We are heading there in January for a couple o fhours after our morning ATV tour. Always nice to see a few more pics :) In yours I can get a better idea of where the snorkeling boats go so I know where to swim to for great snorkeling. before or after the boats leave ;)

The guac looks amazing as well :D

Thanks for posting these pics! We are heading there in January for a couple o fhours after our morning ATV tour. Always nice to see a few more pics :) In yours I can get a better idea of where the snorkeling boats go so I know where to swim to for great snorkeling. before or after the boats leave ;)

The guac looks amazing as well :D

Also the boats do pull up and dock at the piers while some just stay out beyond the reef area. It does make for a little dicey swim because once in my case the current got very strong pulling me to where the boat had turned on. I ended up going up the pier ladder. The boats do not seem to be that careful watching where snorkelers are. That's my only complaint about Money bar.

Mr Sanchos has snorkeling and a great beach. About a $10 taxi ride. If you do the All inclusive $45 adults $30 teens and not sure for younger the snorkel gear is free. But you can go without paying and use the beach.

Mr Sanchos has snorkeling and a great beach. About a $10 taxi ride. If you do the All inclusive $45 adults $30 teens and not sure for younger the snorkel gear is free. But you can go without paying and use the beach.

Taxi to Mr. Sanchos will be about $16+tip for up to 4 in a cab, and the snorkeling there is poor compared to the Money Bar or Chankanaab. The AI is a good deal.

• 1 year later...

We have been to the Money Bar many times and love it. The snorkeling is pretty good, at least for a shore snorkel. That being said, I would not recommend it for 7 year old kids. There can be a big current that pulls you along the shore, the good snorkeling is way out where the boats are in the pics and unless they are exceptionally good swimmers for 7, it is far with no boat to go back to.

Also, there is no beach, just a back filled stone wall, if kids were playing around they could easily fall off the wall (look in the pics, no railing).

I have never seen a kid under 12 at this Bar.

Just my opinion.

With 7 year old's, I'd head to Paradise Beach, buy them wrist bands for the water toys and let them have fun. If they decide to snorkel, they still will see some fish, just not any fancy coral. Of course the pool is a plus there too in case the ocean is cool.

Edited by monicajay

OK, all you Cozumel cruise experts I need your help! Last year my sister and I took my mother on a cruise. In Cozumel, we had hoped to find a beach that my mother could enjoy (requirements were not rocky, chair and umbrella) while my sister and I went snorkeling. We got off the ship and asked one of the local taxi drivers. He brought us to the most awesome spot!! It had a restaurant on the beach. The beach was not huge but it was not crowded and there were chairs and umbrellas. There was also a swimming pool. Then, you can go behind restaurant and they had FREE snorkeling! The snorkeling was AWESOME! All they asked was that you buy the pics they took of you while snorkeling which was only about $20-30 for 60 pics on CD. Snorkeling equipment was free and we had a private guide who showed us all the great snorkeling areas and we got to hold a starfish. I think the taxi ride was only $20 each (which proabably included the beach access that he paid for us) The problem is none of us can remember the name of the place!! We are going back next year so I really want to find out the name so we can go again. I'm hoping someone out here can help???? PLEASE!

OK, all you Cozumel cruise experts I need your help! Last year my sister and I took my mother on a cruise. In Cozumel, we had hoped to find a beach that my mother could enjoy (requirements were not rocky, chair and umbrella) while my sister and I went snorkeling. We got off the ship and asked one of the local taxi drivers. He brought us to the most awesome spot!! It had a restaurant on the beach. The beach was not huge but it was not crowded and there were chairs and umbrellas. There was also a swimming pool. Then, you can go behind restaurant and they had FREE snorkeling! The snorkeling was AWESOME! All they asked was that you buy the pics they took of you while snorkeling which was only about $20-30 for 60 pics on CD. Snorkeling equipment was free and we had a private guide who showed us all the great snorkeling areas and we got to hold a starfish. I think the taxi ride was only $20 each (which proabably included the beach access that he paid for us) The problem is none of us can remember the name of the place!! We are going back next year so I really want to find out the name so we can go again. I'm hoping someone out here can help???? PLEASE!

Maddog, if you can post a picture or two you are more likely to find someone who knows which place it is. If you have a photo of the pool or restaurant it should be easy to firm up.

I also recommend Chankanaab ! Great snorkeling and they have vests if you need them. There are some underwater statues that are cool to see. Also your kids will have plenty to do there when not snorkeling. It's a great place!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not a Cozumel expert:rolleyes: but could that place be Playa Uva's?

No idea where you went, but I would check out the Money Bar, with great snorkeling from the shore plus good facilities/food/drinks/service.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

• 2 weeks later...