Free upgrade option and future price reductions eligibility

galeforce9

Old topic but hopefully a new question!!

I've just selected an A1, relatively mid ships on an Antarctica sailing next year.

I usually go for OB but this far out that is not an option and the cruise price at A1 is one that I feel most comfortable with. Cabin location is good.

I have been asked by the Royal connections agent if we want to put down for the dreaded free upgrade. I initially said no but she convinced me that it was a good idea, as the only way up is to a balcony and we are good sailors etc etc

However, I am concerned about one thing. The prices usually tumble quite a lot on this sailing. The A1 price of the equivalent sailing this year is currently £5,000 less per person than we have signed up for. Other reductions are available on A, OS and V1. Many categories are no longer available/ not reduced.

My question is if Seabourn upgrades us before a price drop(s),say to a v3, and v3 prices either do not drop or are no longer available will we then not be eligible for an a1 price reduction from them (or obc if after balance is due)? I'd love a balcony but not at this potential extra cost which could represent another 20ish night cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the 'free upgrade' is a bit of a misnomer - if I understand you correctly.

The TA will effectively put you on an A1 guarantee, and the chances are you will find yourself upgraded 7 days before sailing to a V suite (any V suite, or you might still end up with an A1, but with no choice over its location).

If the price drops you can contact TA, and based on my experience, they will then, through SB, either offer you onboard credit or offer you a real upgrade to a V catagory ( probably VI or 2 depending on the amount the price has dropped by). By real upgrade I mean that you will be able to choose from any available suites in the V category they have offered you.

So, unless you are especially attached to your chosen A1 suite I would suggest going for the 'free upgrade' - however as with all guarantee fares you face the possibility of getting a V near the front, or under the patio grill, or a less well located A1, or a connecting suite.

Any subsequent price drops should enable you to negotiate some sort of sweetener, whether you are in A1 or on a guarantee.

Edited by Flamin_June