Ruby Review 3-17 Jan

louden

We boarded the Ruby Princess in Fort Lauderdale for our 24th cruise on January 3rd for a 14 day eastern and western Caribbean cruise. We had stayed overnight at the Best Western on Stirling Road using the stay and park package. The hotel now charges a $10 fee per person for shuttle service to the port. Using the 12:00 o’clock shuttle and Priority boarding we were aboard shortly after 1:00 PM despite heavy traffic delays reaching the port.

We had one of our favorite cabins (B749) an aft corner cabin with a larger than normal balcony. Despite the large balcony Princess now only furnishes it with two reclining chairs. Thanks to the resourcefulness of our Steward Jun , he was able to at least secure us two foot stools. In our opinion the balcony should have two loungers and two chairs with a larger table.

We learned that although booked as a single cruise, since the cruise is also marketed as two separate seven day cruises, Princess automatically gave us credit for two cruises and provided two Elite bar setups, two wine tastings and two CC invitations.

We soon discovered that our cabin had no hot water at either the sink or shower. After speaking with Jun and the Passenger Services desk and eventually the Supervisor of Passenger Services we finally had shower hot water Wednesday afternoon but still only tepid water at the sink. The shower water soon turned warm and remained this way for the remainder of the cruise. We used the spa showers whenever we wanted a truly hot shower.

Since reaching Platinum level we have usually made use of the Elite lounge most evenings. In the past it has been the practice to allow guests to have any of the specialty drinks not just the daily special at the reduced price. Apparently Headquarters have issued a directive that only the daily special is now offered at the reduced price. Another frustration we found was that the wine card promotion was not offered. Reason given was that these were seven day sailings. We had over 700 people doing back to backs! Why can’t the wine card be offered the same way the coffee card is marketed?

Our major disappointment was the fact that the aft spa tub on deck 17 was out of service for the first week. On Saturday of the second week it was in service for a few hours then again drained and remained out of service for the second week as well. This was frustrating as it is our practice to go there, directly above our cabin, just before retiring for a late night drink under the stars.

The service throughout the voyage was of the usual high Princess standard. We managed to get a standing dinner reservation(306 Michaelangello) and had a great server team headed by Benjamin with Immanuel as his second. Benjamin usually had time to fascinate us with his quite impressive magic tricks.

We found the level of entertainment in the showrooms to be a little lacking with Al Katz, who we have seen before, being the highlight of the first week. However, the first entertainer of the second week, Miguel Washington, a comedian was outstanding. He had the overflow crowd in Explorers asking for more of his rapid fire contemporary comedy. It was a pleasant surprise not to have to listen to a lot of common comedy about ships accommodation, plumbing food and passengers. Monday we enjoyed the Stardust show a musical review of popular old classics . This was a new show for us and it was well performed. The movies at MUTS and the TV shows are old and repeated endlessly.

Jun, the Steward, took great care of us and keep us supplied exactly as we requested. We could not have asked for a friendlier or competent Steward.

The changes and inconsistencies of Princess practices, the lack of longer cruises in the Caribbean (no return to FLL) and the changes to Elite privileges is rapidly eroding our loyalty to Princess.

Thank you for your review. I still enjoy my Princess cruises but agree with you in that some things have changed with Princess that make me want to try another line again. I've cruised other lines but not in a very long time. My concern is the evening entertainment. I remember the days when there were great bands in Club Fusion/Vista Lounge, Explorers, and the Wheelhouse Bar. Add, great production shows and entertainment in Crooners and I thought Princess did a great job with entertainment. Now, I think entertainment on Princess is really hit and miss. I still enjoy my cruises though.:):)

What Elite perks have changed? We cruise on Princess every couple of months for the past 7 years and haven't noticed any changes.

We were on the Ruby for 14 days in Dec. and loved it. The Production

shows(we saw all four of them) were outstanding with incredible new special effects. I agree that the individual performers are getting stale.

Same comedians with same jokes keep appearing. Doesn't matter if we are in Europe, Mexico, or the Caribbean, same guys.Still, not a reason for us to change from Princess. These guys do the circuit and are on other lines as well.

It would have been nicer not having to return to Ft. Lauderdale on turnaround, but just a 14 day regular cruise. We made the most of that day, and had a wonderful time in port.

Edited by san diego sue

What Elite perks have changed? We cruise on Princess every couple of months for the past 7 years and haven't noticed any changes.

We were on the Ruby for 14 days in Dec. and loved it. The Production

shows(we saw all four of them) were outstanding with incredible new special effects. I agree that the individual performers are getting stale.

Same comedians with same jokes keep appearing. Doesn't matter if we are in Europe, Mexico, or the Caribbean, same guys.Still, not a reason for us to change from Princess. These guys do the circuit and are on other lines as well.

It would have been nicer not having to return to Ft. Lauderdale on turnaround, but just a 14 day regular cruise. We made the most of that day, and had a wonderful time in port.

The guest comedians never change their material. Sometimes it'll be many years before we catch an individual comedian again but their act stays the same as the first time we saw them. We're always hoping for any new faces when on a Princess ship and occasionally it does happen.