Question about insurance coverage

teddyton

The type of coverage you need depends on what coverage you have from other sources, and if you are flying to the cruise etc.

You will need emergency medical coverage and medical evacuation and trip cancellation but the amounts are really up to you.

I agree with the suggestion to determine what coverage you already have. For example, I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card that automatically gives me travel interruption and travel cancellation insurance as long as I charge at least a portion of the cruise to it (even just the deposit counts, although I charge all of it in order to get the points for free airfare).

And my health insurance includes coverage abroad. I just have to pay at the time of service and then put in for a reimbursement. Both my husband and I have credit cards with huge limits, so paying up front would never be a problem for us. If it would be for you, then you need to look into seeing if there's supplemental medical coverage that you can purchase which would pay at the time of service.

Then my group term life insurance offers emergency travel coverage through TravelConnect which includes the ever important medical evacuation, as well as (amongst other things):

• Emergency travel arrangements and funds transfer

• Lost or stolen travel documents assistance

• Arrangement for the delivery of medications, vaccines or blood

• Updates to family, employer and/or home physician

• Repatriation of a deceased traveler

• Security and political evacuation assistance

As you can see, I'm pretty well covered without having to purchase additional insurance (so therefore, I don't bother).

But it really depends on what you need or want. Cancel for any reason insurance will probably be the most expensive, and I believe it has to be purchased within so many days of booking. There are other cancellation coverages that are cheaper, but more restrictive in what reasons they will allow for cancellation. Then you need to consider medical coverage if you don't have anything in place now.

Good luck. I know it's confusing, but just do a lot of research and you will be able to make a well informed decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

I am booked for Feb. 2017. I am looking at insuremytrip. But I am lost. Can someone explain what I am looking for in coverage limits?

Why not call them and directly speak to someone for help? We always book thru tripinsurancestore.com and call when we need insurance to make sure we are getting the right coverage for that specific cruise and our situation.

Good Luck!

We like to say that it is not a one size fits all. And it is not as complex as you might think. So break down trip coverage into 3 basic coverages, 1. Cancellation 2. Medical and 3. Evacuation. The medical issue really depends on what is covered by your current medical insurance. For example, some private insurance gives pretty decent coverage for emergency care outside your home country, while other policies give zero coverage (i.e. the US Medicare Program). And once you evaluate you own insurance...it simply becomes a matter of your personal risk tolerance. For example, some folks are willing to pay more money for "cancel for any reason" insurance. But then others (including me) do not see the need for any cancellation insurance (we are willing to take the cancellation risk and self-insure). We think that when it comes to Medical...one needs to be much more careful since your medical liability risk is virtually unlimited. Personally, we would feel very vulnerable with anything less then $100,000 of medical coverage (DW and I have $250,000). Others might feel comfortable with a $50,000 limit. But be aware that most cruise line policies have medical coverage limits of only $10,000 (some are as low as $5000 and some do go up to $20,000).

As to medical evacuation, we think that $50,000 is enough to cover nearly all circumstances (but there can be a few exceptions). Since the additional cost of high limit evacuation insurance is quite cheap (few evacuations even cost close to $50,000), many insurers will offer very high evacuation limits (at little risk to the insurance company). But there is a lot of fine print on when and where you can get evacuated. For those who have a lot of personal concerns about this item....many experts recommend a separate evacuation policy from Medjetassist...which gives some additional rights to the insured.

Hank

But then others (including me) do not see the need for any cancellation insurance (we are willing to take the cancellation risk and self-insure).

Same here, I prefer to self-insure. If we ever have to cancel for a reason not covered by my credit card, then the most we would be out would be roughly $2,000. We would spend at least that on insurance for 10 cruises. I think the likelihood of having to cancel two or more cruises out of every ten is very slim. So it's just not mathematically worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

However....we are about to book a river cruise, including air & add-on/post cruise through the cruise company. We thought we would do it this way, so that we were 'totally covered' in case of any emergencies. However, the legalize written is so complicated and the amounts quoted are very confusing. I am not going through a travel agent and am beginning to wonder if I need one - we've taken many many cruises and I've always handled all the booking and never had problems. Any suggestions??

The cruise company and travel insurance are 2 complete different items and operated by 2 different companies.

The cruise company sells insurance.

Why not? Easy sell, huge margin. The consumer is already buying the cruise, let's just add on insurance while they have their credit card out.

Advice

Check out http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

The cruise company and travel insurance are 2 complete different items and operated by 2 different companies.

The cruise company sells insurance.

Why not? Easy sell, huge margin. The consumer is already buying the cruise, let's just add on insurance while they have their credit card out.

Advice

Check out www.tripinsurancestore.com

Another vote to check tripinsurancestore:)