Canon EOS 5 Mark 3 or Nikon D800

Carter7568

What do you guys and girls think?

Also Canon 100-400 Zoom lens using it for wildlife photography.

Able to afford either as I'm retiring in 12 months.

Comments appreciated.

I use a Canon 5D/M3 and 70-300 L glass for wildlife. I chose the latter for sharpness and weight. When traveling to remote spots using small planes, weight restrictions become a factor to consider.

My camera choice was influenced by longstanding Canon experience (EOS 650 from from the late 1980s) and ownership of other Canon "EF" lenses. I was using a 7D before moving to the 5D. Basically, when selecting either high-end Nikon or Canon equipment, its hard to make a major mistake. Perhaps you have access to DSLR rental outfits so that you can get hands-on experience with your top contenders.

Bob

http://travelscrivener.blogspot.com/

message board opinions are useless. Everybody has their opinion and they are all correct and incorrect. The Nikon folks will say go nikon and the canon folks will say go that route. Best advice is to go to a camera store and see which YOU like better and which feels better in your hands. When I bought my first camera I was all set to go Canon, I read all the reviews and websites and was ready to go......until i actually held it in my hand and didn't like the way it felt. I went Nikon. I'm not saying one is better than the other just it felt better in my hands.

message board opinions are useless. Everybody has their opinion and they are all correct and incorrect. The Nikon folks will say go nikon and the canon folks will say go that route. Best advice is to go to a camera store and see which YOU like better and which feels better in your hands. When I bought my first camera I was all set to go Canon, I read all the reviews and websites and was ready to go......until i actually held it in my hand and didn't like the way it felt. I went Nikon. I'm not saying one is better than the other just it felt better in my hands.

Cheers Dave all advice grateful...

I will be feeling the grips etc before I buy

What do you guys and girls think?

Also Canon 100-400 Zoom lens using it for wildlife photography.

Able to afford either as I'm retiring in 12 months.

Comments appreciated.

Just my two cents.

I use the following site as input when I make my camera decisions.

http://www.dpreview.com

It has really good reviews on most cameras and then I can use their compare feature to compare features for camera I am considering.

I also read reviews (some) by people who use the camera which you can easily find on the preview site or places such as amazon.com

Then I go somewhere to see the camera so I can grip it and look at the ease of the controls. Each of us has preferences when it comes to things such as grip because the size of our hands vary.

Often when it comes to Canon and Nikon many have one or the other brand and because one starts with one brand they might continue to get the same brand each succeeding time. Some do have both.

Finally I get a lot of great information on this board but when it comes to say which brand is better than the other one or even camera it really will come down to personal preference.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.

Keith

I'd take the d750 over both those options.

It has the advantage of being newer and cheaper than the d810 series. And I actually prefer it to the d810 even if it wasn't cheaper -- 36mp is too much for me. I prefer 24. The d750 also adds wifi, tilt screen, and a slightly better AF system.

Compared to the 5d3... Similar in a lot of ways. But 2 years older, has less dynamic range, and no wifi, tilt screen etc. (I don't put a premium on those things, but they are tie breakers). Plus, the d750 is a little cheaper.

The only negative I see in the d750 is maximum shutter speed of 1/4000, while the others have 1/8000. But my current camera can do 1/8000 and I don't think I've ever really shot faster than 1/3200 anyway.

I have Nikon D800 and like it but it is heavy, There is no auto, scene modes, and set up banks do not save. It is more of full manual settings camera that you need to know well. You can't just go into settings banks and hope the settings are there because they might be wrong. D750 or D610 would be better choice or go for DX format with D7100. Much better for wildlife, lighter, cheaper and image quality is excelent.